Who will be our Starting QB??

Armistead

I think Zac Taylor, the JUCO kid that chose us over Marshall, will start the season #1. I think Adams, Beck, and Dailey will be the backups, but I think depending on how quickly Beck learns the offense he could get some snaps and maybe later in the year move up and split time with Taylor or possibly beat him out. I don't think Dailey will see much time.

I think it all depends on if Dailey progresses at all in the offseason. I think Dailey will be given a chance to start. If he has made strides toward improving, then he may keep the starting job. I think Zac Taylor would probably be next followed by Jordan Adams. I really think Callahan wants to redshirt Beck and bring him along as slow as he can so he can completely absorb the offense and be ready to rock in 2006. The master plan is always subject to change though :)

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find Joe Dailey under center again next season. He has a leg up on pretty much all the other QB's at this point. However, seeing as Adams and Taylor have some experience in an offense like ours it's going to be a more intersting race. It's hard to tell at this point considering I have only seen Joe play. I would hope that a health Adams and Taylor will come in and compete WELL for the starting job. I am going to go with Taylor as the starter. :) The idea of redshirting Beck is a good one though IMO.

I am not sure where Davis fits in here, if at all at this point. I don't think he's been able to gain any weight, which sucks. And as well all know, he had a rough intro this year.

Well If the JUCO Qb can play at all I would go with him over Dailey...I really think Joe should transfer to a school that runs the option....or BC needs to run some option and QB draws to use more of Joe's natural talent....but Joe is not goin to win any games with his throwing....Taylor sounds like the type of Kid that can get us 7 or 8 wins next season and hold the fort untill Beck is ready to roll.....GBR

Well If the JUCO Qb can play at all I would go with him over Dailey...I really think Joe should transfer to a school that runs the option....or BC needs to run some option and QB draws to use more of Joe's natural talent....but Joe is not goin to win any games with his throwing....Taylor sounds like the type of Kid that can get us 7 or 8 wins next season and hold the fort untill Beck is ready to roll.....GBR

Totally agree. I'm not so sure about Beck red-shirting, though. If he's talented enough to play next year, let him get some snaps. Hopefully this staff in the future will be able to re-load and we'll continue to get good QB's in here. I don't want to see Beck become disgruntled and leave since BC told him he was the only QB they were pursuing. Knowing that the staff asked him what he thought about bringing Taylor in before actually recruiting him shows that they think this kid is the real deal. And I really don't see any way Dailey sees the field behind center next year, unless he does a complete 180. You can't really teach a QB to be 10-20% more accurate than they already are. He seemed to know the system somewhat, but just couldn't put the ball on the money and he never seemed to go to his 2nd or 3rd option.

Totally agree. I'm not so sure about Beck red-shirting, though. If he's talented enough to play next year, let him get some snaps. Hopefully this staff in the future will be able to re-load and we'll continue to get good QB's in here. I don't want to see Beck become disgruntled and leave since BC told him he was the only QB they were pursuing. Knowing that the staff asked him what he thought about bringing Taylor in before actually recruiting him shows that they think this kid is the real deal. And I really don't see any way Dailey sees the field behind center next year, unless he does a complete 180. You can't really teach a QB to be 10-20% more accurate than they already are. He seemed to know the system somewhat, but just couldn't put the ball on the money and he never seemed to go to his 2nd or 3rd option.

Yea, I think you are just about on with Dailey as far as his performance this year. Many times the ball just couldn't be put where it needed to be. I saw a lot of hesitation on timing routes and such. I guess I am just too optimistic about Joe sometimes :)

I normally would agree with using a player if he can get in there an get something done, but if the other guys at the position (Adams, Taylor, maybe Davis but I doubt it) can produce as well, I say you redshirt him and work him in practice. It's hard to tell right now. We should have a much clearer picture by the Fall.

• 3 weeks later...
What about moving Joe D to the slot and goin with Beck or Taylor and telling one of the other qbs to take the train....do we really need all the QBs......4 scholly QB is enuff for me.....

I am not sure Dailey would be open to that option. I don't think the coaches are looking that way either. But hey, I could be wrong :woo

I think handling a QB is sort of like handling a farm league pitcher - they need to feel the heat, but you can't put the whole game on their backs too much or you might break their confidence and ruin them (something that happened to Dailey too much last year, I think).

If Beck is going to be the guy, Dailey should probably still get the starts, but Beck should get as much playing time in as possible. It might break some rhythm in the game, but it would be better for both players, and the team I think, in the long run.

Dailey gets the support by being a starter (which can be a confidence boost unto itself) and Beck gets some snaps and experiences the fast game conditions.

My $.02 for the day ;)

IRISH!

I think handling a QB is sort of like handling a farm league pitcher - they need to feel the heat, but you can't put the whole game on their backs too much or you might break their confidence and ruin them (something that happened to Dailey too much last year, I think).

If Beck is going to be the guy, Dailey should probably still get the starts, but Beck should get as much playing time in as possible. It might break some rhythm in the game, but it would be better for both players, and the team I think, in the long run.

Dailey gets the support by being a starter (which can be a confidence boost unto itself) and Beck gets some snaps and experiences the fast game conditions.

My $.02 for the day ;)

IRISH!

What about Zac Taylor and Jordan Adams?

Good question that.

I was operating under the assumption that Dailey was the preemptive starter, Beck the incoming phenom, and Taylor and Adams were the second line in the equation.

Who knows? They might make a strong showing in camp and change the mix around. Competition can't be anything but good for the position - players that think they're a lock on a position tend to get lazy. ;)

The thing about the kind of offense we're running is that a QB can make a lot of progress off the field studying film and the playbook. The offseason could mix up the pecking order a ton if the guys are working dilligently (and I suspect they would be given last year's results).

IRISH!

I kinda wondered if there weren't team orders for Dailey to not run or minimize the risk. Maybe that could have influenced Joe's mindset. When he ran out of bounds a couple of times instead of diving or running over somebody he didn't seem the type to shy away from the contact. I think Joe could start with BC not worrying so much about a backup. If Taylor learns the system and verbage quickly then may Joe won't get much time. BC may not want to burn Beck's redshirt if he thinks the others will succeed unless Beck is the real deal and tears it up. Damn it's a B_tch waiting for the spring and fall again.

A lot of people wanted to see Beau Davis start as well. We all saw his confidence shatter in front of our very eyes. And to just keep having him pump the ball into the air, what a disgrace. Last year (2003), a lot of people wanted Dailey to start over Lord. Maybe after 2004, we can see why he didn't. Sometimes we have to be careful what we wish for because sometimes it does come true!