Our recruiting may not be as glossy......

.......but I also think Pelini and his staff won't waist scholarships either. Every school has busts, but NU has had some notorious busts over the last few years. We've brought in guys that people like myself got banned from HI over. For instance:

-Victory Haines- WTF? Why is NU fighting Utah State for a JUCO guy when we have plenty of linemen?

- Santino Panico- What kind of idiotic moron evaluates this kid and believes he can play in the Big 12, let alone D-I football.

- Jordan Adams- I realize we were desperate for a QB, but Callahan and company showed some serious innexperience with evaluating film on this kid. He played 3 games in 2004. 3 games against bad JUCO teams. I really doubt Pelini and his staff will make that kind of idiotic mistake.

- Tyrell Spain- This past fall, I watched Tyrell Spain play wideout for Baker University, an NAIA program in Baldwin City, KS. Spain was the 3rd best wideout on the team behind his cousin and a white kid from KS 2A football. Not only did we waste a scholarship on him initially, we held one for him 12 months later.

- Brandon Johnson- Roz from Huskers Illustrated banned me two years ago after I mocked the coaching staff for this move. Brandon initially played at Graceland College, an NAIA school in Lamoni, IA. I personally watched Brandon get dominated one game by a 5'9 265 lb center. That center happened to be a transfer and All-Cal JUCO performer from the same conference Brandon played in a year later. Not only was B. Johnson a notorious cancer and pothead at Graceland College, he never dominated the NAIA the way a future Big 12 D-linemen would dominate the NAIA. Trust me, I played in the same conference as Spain and Johnson. A Big 12 caliber scholarship D-linemen would destroy any offensive linemen in the NAIA.

Steve Allen- Not only was he an academic liability who never made to Nebraska, he couldn't even get on the field at West Texas AtM until late in his Junior year. Who knows when he could've seen the field for the Huskers.

Brock Pasteur- This one doesn't even deserve comment.

Justin Tomerlin- In the NAIA, you find kids who have played at 3 or 4 schools all the time. They are there for various reasons: grades, playing time disputes, or criminal problems/attitude. How a player like Justin Tomerlin ever gets his 4th chance at a place like Nebraska is beyond me. If it walks like a duck and looks like a duck, it's a duck.

David Harvey- does anyone esle think we offered to Harvey to get his teammate who went to Penn State? Yeah, exactly. Harvey will never play for Nebraska, and he never deserved a scholarship offer. If the Huskers hadn't have offered him, he would be playing D-IAA football right now.

Broderick Hunter and Wallace Franklin- I believe in taking a chance on a kid if he's talented enough. But these guys were marginal recruits to begin with. Neither one of them would've ever played for the Huskers. There is no reason to waste a scholarship on these guys when their academic future is written on the wall.

I could go on about the Harrison Becks and Leon Jackson's of the world, but that's not my point. You're going to have busts in every class. That's part of football. However, all of these guys were just wasted scholarship offers. I understand the 2004 class was hurried, but how do you possibly offer Panico? Huh? That one was just strange.

Of course Pelini will have recruiting busts. However, I don't think he will just be wasting scholarships either. You can argue Kreikemeir is a wasted scholarship. I saw him and Jared Crick both play in High School, and they're virtually the same from a size and athleticsm standpoint. The only difference is Crick starting making the camp and recruiting rounds prior to his Junior season. Krekemier didn't.

Krekemier had the most tackles and blocked punts in Class C-2. The fact he didn't receive All-State is a joke and a product of the idiocy behind All-State selections. There's a kid named Luke Witte from Ainsworth who earned a Scholarship at D-IAA South Dakota State. He was 6'4 300 as a senior at Ainsworth High School. He has since started for more than a season at SDSU. He never received anything more than Honoroble Mention All-State and he was the 3rd or 4th best offensive linemen in state of Nebraska. All-State recognition in Nebraska beyond Class A is a joke.

Why do you think that Pelini & staff will not give scholarships to people who will end up not producing at Nebraska? (Or as you call it - wasted). I think that's what you mean?

You have strong arguments about flops and busted talent that didnt take advantage of what they were given. But all you have is "I think Pelini wont .."

Pelini isnt magic powder or dust. Things happen. You evaluate & take chances. Part of it is up to the coaches, the other part is up to the player.

Personally I am not concerned over this years recruiting class. The big picture to me is a new staff was needed, and when you strike the shepherd, you scatter the sheep.

The results of the following season will be important, and so will the next recruiting class.

Why do you think that Pelini & staff will not give scholarships to people who will end up not producing at Nebraska? (Or as you call it - wasted). I think that's what you mean?

You have strong arguments about flops and busted talent that didnt take advantage of what they were given. But all you have is "I think Pelini wont .."

Pelini isnt magic powder or dust. Things happen. You evaluate & take chances. Part of it is up to the coaches, the other part is up to the player.

Personally I am not concerned over this years recruiting class. The big picture to me is a new staff was needed, and when you strike the shepherd, you scatter the sheep.

The results of the following season will be important, and so will the next recruiting class.

I don't think Pelini will mistakenly evaluate guys who have no buisness playing in the Big 12. Flops are flops, but most of these guys were only offered by Nebraska in years where our recruiting classed were just fine without them.

Guys like Victory Haines and Tyrell Spain chose NU over Utah State and San Jose State in years when Nebraska had plenty of offensive linemen and wide receiver recruits. What's the point of offering those guys? THere is no point.

Callahan had far more flops and wasted scholarships than the average amount of busts. I don't believe Pelini and his staff will make poor evaluations of projects or JUCO guys.

K thanks... I see your point. I hope they dont toss schollies around foolishly as well. I agree with that.

I am not so sure that it is so much an issue of tossing scholarships around foolishly as it is a combination of not knowing who you can get (who will accept) and then having some tier two guys and even tier three guys to fall back upon if the tier two guys go elsewhere coupled with really having little to go on to evaluate heart, desire, work ethic, maturity, etc. So, this gig is a crap shoot for the coaches.

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

Totally agree. Putting the staff together is the first priority, with special attention right now being S&C. The next two priorities are how we play next season and how well we do at recruiting, and I don't mean the kind of flashy classes Cally brought in. We need rock solid performers not *****.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez