Holloway has left the team

Too bad for Rachel. Whatever the case, the decision couldn't have been easy. Not only was Rachel admired by adults who love to watch her play and value what she brought to her team, but kids admire(d) her too. I can say this from experience because my 9 year-old daughter was ALWAYS "Rachel" whenever she picked up a volleyball. And that because Rachel was so kind to her and the other girls at the "Lil Spikers" clinics in Lincoln.

All the best to you, Rachel.

Has anyone heard any rumor about a possible pregnancy? I am just speculating and I'm not trying to cast aspersions on Rachel here. This is just off the top of my head.

Hadn't heard anything. Since her sister had also left the team at Texas early it may have been a route Rachel also decided to follow. I think she just wants some time to be a normal kid like she said.

A number of people I talked to have wondered whether Rachel is pregnant. I just don't think she is. I'm buying her explanation that she, in essence, just wants to be a normal college kid. Being a collegiate athlete (especially a successful one at a top university) takes a tremendous amount of time and effort.

On a different note, I heard she was dating Zach Potter. If true, I would have though that he would provide a compelling reason for Rachel to remain at NU.

• 2 years later...

Sat next to an old buddy at the volleyball banquet Saturday night. We caught up on a bunch of stuff, including the Rachel Holloway story. The following is worthy of Rumorville, but if you've figured out anything from me, you'll know that I wouldn't pass anything along if I didn't feel it was likely to be true:

I'm not going to get into everything I was told. Some of it was of a personal nature, and that's nobody's business but Rachel's. My earlier guessing that there was a pregnancy involved was way off, and if that colored anyone's opinion of Rachel, I apologize. To the best of my knowledge this was absolutely not the case.

Suffice it to say that the decision to leave was not Rachel's. It was a family decision and from what I know, if she had her choices she would have stayed. I met Rachel a couple of times and she was always very friendly and seemed very happy at Nebraska. She loved volleyball and she seemed to like it here very much.

I was sad to hear that she had to leave in a manner not of her choosing. It seems as though there is quite a bit of mystery around her family, and they clearly value their privacy (which is why I'm not going into a lot of detail here). I just hope she's OK, and that she's able to find happiness in whatever path her life takes her. She's good people, and we were lucky to have her as long as we did.