Biggest Stock Market Blunders

My economics teacher in college was an investor for 20 some years. He said when the market is bad it's actually a good time to buy because you can get some good stock and a low price. It's like shopping at a sale he said.

That's correct - with a proviso. If you have disposable income then it's a fine idea. But if you have any debt, then the best course is actually to put the money toward the debt and reduce or eliminate it.

Great point AR. I actually don't really have any debt besides my student loans. So I thought it was time to deversify my portfolio. :thumbs

what about that motorcycle you bought, do you still have it?

Yeah, I guess I didn't think about my vehicles. You wanna buy it or what?!

My economics teacher in college was an investor for 20 some years. He said when the market is bad it's actually a good time to buy because you can get some good stock and a low price. It's like shopping at a sale he said.

That's correct - with a proviso. If you have disposable income then it's a fine idea. But if you have any debt, then the best course is actually to put the money toward the debt and reduce or eliminate it.

Great point AR. I actually don't really have any debt besides my student loans. So I thought it was time to deversify my portfolio. :thumbs

cant afford what you owe on it, so unless you are willing to take a loss then i am going to have to pass for now

cant afford what you owe on it, so unless you are willing to take a loss then i am going to have to pass for now

It's cool I'm going to put it in motorcycle trader in March and it will probably sell fairly fast. :thumbs

Disposable income? Who the heck has that anymore?

Debt, now that I understand. All my used to be disposable income goes to the debt these days.

Debt, now that I understand. All my used to be disposable income goes to the debt these days.

Doesn't everyones considering the state of the economy??? ;)

Doesn't everyones considering the state of the economy??? ;)

NOPE

I asked a few months ago around here for some advice in investing. I have since become addicted to it, lol. I've been watching how much I spend closely each month just so I can save up enough to put in the stocks/IRA. I find the stocks very addicting and have a window on my computer at work open during the entire day updating me, in real time, what the latest bid/ask prices are on certain stocks. I'm still new at this game, but like to think I've learned a lot in the past few months. I think I've come to understand that stocks give you the best return, as long as you do the research. If you're not wanting to do the research put the money in an IRA or a mutual fund or something and let someone else take care of it.

One blunder that took me awhile to realize was that Google, Yahoo and most stock websites don't quote you the actual price....they have about a 20-30 minute delay! So I bought a couple stocks at higher prices than I thought.

A second "blunder" was when I researching about how to follow trends and read charts. I came across a stock, Idenix Pharmaceuticals. I decided to add it to a watch list to see where it goes. Everything on the charts seemed like it might be a good buy, even though it's a pharmaceutical company and those can be so volatile. Since I started watching it, it has gone up 72%!!! And that's only since January 9th! ugh.

In fact, almost all the stocks I'm watching have gone up way more than any of the ones I own, lol.

I do plan on getting into Pepsi soon. Like you rob, thinking long term for some of this. Pepsi seems to go up about 10% every year. Better than any savings is going to give me....(especially my crappy Bank of America. Love their checking, hate their savings).

I asked a few months ago around here for some advice in investing. I have since become addicted to it, lol. I've been watching how much I spend closely each month just so I can save up enough to put in the stocks/IRA. I find the stocks very addicting and have a window on my computer at work open during the entire day updating me, in real time, what the latest bid/ask prices are on certain stocks. I'm still new at this game, but like to think I've learned a lot in the past few months. I think I've come to understand that stocks give you the best return, as long as you do the research. If you're not wanting to do the research put the money in an IRA or a mutual fund or something and let someone else take care of it.

One blunder that took me awhile to realize was that Google, Yahoo and most stock websites don't quote you the actual price....they have about a 20-30 minute delay! So I bought a couple stocks at higher prices than I thought.

A second "blunder" was when I researching about how to follow trends and read charts. I came across a stock, Idenix Pharmaceuticals. I decided to add it to a watch list to see where it goes. Everything on the charts seemed like it might be a good buy, even though it's a pharmaceutical company and those can be so volatile. Since I started watching it, it has gone up 72%!!! And that's only since January 9th! ugh.

In fact, almost all the stocks I'm watching have gone up way more than any of the ones I own, lol.

I do plan on getting into Pepsi soon. Like you rob, thinking long term for some of this. Pepsi seems to go up about 10% every year. Better than any savings is going to give me....(especially my crappy Bank of America. Love their checking, hate their savings).

Dude look at apple!!!! That stock has tripled over the last year!!! :hellloooo

Dude look at apple!!!! That stock has tripled over the last year!!! :hellloooo

should have bought it a long time ago, buying now might cost money, i dont see it tripling again, but they could always split it though