Question for Big Willie

Big Willie, you seem to be the most up on the recruiting. So far, how do you rate the recruiting ablilities of each coach? I know you have said Barney is the weak link. But how good do you think the other coaches are? How do you compare them to B.C.'s staff? I know it's early yet and you need more time, but so far, what do you think?

(Please wait for Willie to respond first.)

Honestly, I think it will be hard to match what Callahan and his staff did as far as recruiting. Whether we like his staff or not, they were all great recruiters and they busted their rear ends on the recruiting trail. Considering our location and play on the field, they were still able to get top talent in here year after year. That was no easy task.

As far as this staff, I think it is built more towards coaches who can develop players. Do not get that twisted as this new staff are not good recruiters, because they are. But the truth of it is, I doubt they can match the effort and results Callahan and his staff gave us when it comes to recruiting.

But from the people who actually know 1 million times more than I do, they lead me to believe this about the new staff ..

Ekeler - With the job he did on Compton, he may have cemented himself as our staffs best recruiter. Honestly, we were out of it with Compton about a month ago, but Ekeler changed that. The people who know ALOT more than me say we got an absolute steal with Coach Ekeler. They also say he may turn into our ace recruiter.

Beck - His contacts in Texas will be invaluable. Right now, he is getting us in the door with recruits we did not have a chance at before. Given more time, I think we will see Beck get us in the door with more of the heavy hitters in Texas. He's probably right behind Ekeler as far the new members of the staff go.

Papuchis - I have not heard all that much about him recently, but I know in the past people believe he will be a solid coach and recruiter for us.

C. Pelini - He's more of a "meh" recruiter. He hit it off with a guy like Toailoa, which was a huge get considering where we were at the time. He's not a guy who is overly impressive, but he certainly isn't someone like Barney.

Brown - Like always, he is still the same. He'll be great with certain kids, but others will not hit it off with him at all. It seems like there is no middle ground at all with Brown, which can be good and bad. If a recruit is religious, we should throw Brown all over him no matter if he is in Brown's territory or not.

Sanders - I have no clue who this guy is recruiting or where he is recruiting. Honestly, I have not even heard his name mentioned yet by ANY recruit. Not even our DB recruits.

Cotton - He just needs to keep doing what he's doing right now. Anymore may be too much to ask of him.

Thanks Willie. I know John Blake is also a religious man. What's the difference? Does Blake know when to turn it off and not push religion, but Brown doesn't know when to quit? Is it something like that?

You pretty much nailed it. Brown uses that as his whole routine to recruit. Blake throws it in, but he builds relationships with the kids. Blake would essentially become more of a friend or father figure to recruits while also letting them know of his beliefs.