Different College but still Cheering for Nebraska?

MNBIGRED

Hey everyone, I made this topic becuase im curious to see how many of you are NU alums. Also, I'm curious to see how many of you went to different colleges and still cheered for the Huskers in college. The reason im asking is because next fall im going to ISU for engineering (i know but their program is good and i get an academic scholly), and planning on cheering for NU in their student section when they play NU at home lol. Just wanting to see if thats uncommon at all... I doubt the ISU people will care but maybe if you went to say... Colorado or Oklahoma you may have been severely beaten lol

Enlighten me on your experiences or crazy stories

Congrats on the ISU scholarship. They have a great engineering program, I considered them in high school as well, but ended up staying in Omaha and going to UNO(good thing, I dropped engineering after a year). It's not too difficult to be a Husker fan and a UNO alum because UNO is division 2 for all sports, except hockey and UNL doesn't have hockey. Works out kinda nice.

Yeah thats cool but those colleges are also in Nebraska so cheering for the Huskers is like a birth right. My dad was born in Nebraska. I live in Minnesota and pretty much was bred a Husker fan. My first memory of watch the Big Red was the thrashing of Tennessee in the '97 Championship

i go to MST (previously UMR) in rolla, mo...just under 2 hours from columbia. i too am here for engineering, and bleed scarlet and cream. its not to bad being a husker fan because most of the students here are knowledgable enough to know that the big red has been dominate for years, and is just in a slump. i don't catch much flack

not uncommon at all.. especially if you were getting money to go there.. i was extremely close to going to the U of Iowa for Actuarial Science, just because its possibly the best program in the nation.. I was getting scholarship money, more than i'm getting to NU.. but I personally just didn't have the money to take care of the difference of out of state tuition.. i was going there to graduate as a hawkeye.. but husker forever.. now instead, i'm a husker in both ways.. you'll get some sh#t for it there, but the kids'll respect it

I took the same path as you. Went to ISU for engineering, but I have always and will always be a Husker fan. I root for ISU whenever they aren't playing us. You'll catch some flack if you are wearing Husker stuff there, but you won't have to fear for your safety like you would at CU. Enjoy Ames, it's a great town!

From New Jersey went to UNL...

not calling anyone out, but I urge everyone, unless unusual circumstance restricts you, to go to school out of state. I mean at least 500 miles from where you grew up...it was the best thing I ever did. I miss where I grew up, because I have kids now and realize I had a lot more growing up then my kids will have in Omaha, but regardless, give yourself a thrill, most people who go to school close to where they grow up usually regret not going somewhere later on. Try a different region. Louisiana, South Carolina, Oregon, UP Michigan, even Montana...live a little......money isn't a problem, there are 9,000 loan program s to help you. Go somewhere you may never be again.

money isn't a problem, there are 9,000 loan program s to help you. Go somewhere you may never be again.

BS

i understand where you are coming from with get out of state.. far away.. but seriously.. there is a LOT of different money issues that rise up.. you may say that there are all those loan programs, but have you seriously looked into all of them? what institution is going to give an 18 year old, with little to no credit history, a huge loan that may be required to go out of state? sure some people can afford it. i know, as a first child, and another three behind me that my parents are still taking care of, i have little support from them financially.. you gotta do what you gotta do and if that means stay in-state for school, it happens. live in the dorms.. you get yourself exposure to an entire new part of life.. you're still away from your family and meet a lot of new people.. out of the 38 other kids on my floor, 2 are from lincoln, one of them being my roommate.. a lot are from very different parts of nebraska, a few from SD and one from Virginia...

like i said, i understand your point but for you to say that money is not an issue is something that you can only say for yourself. not everyone else.

not uncommon at all.. especially if you were getting money to go there.. i was extremely close to going to the U of Iowa for Actuarial Science, just because its possibly the best program in the nation.. I was getting scholarship money, more than i'm getting to NU.. but I personally just didn't have the money to take care of the difference of out of state tuition.. i was going there to graduate as a hawkeye.. but husker forever.. now instead, i'm a husker in both ways.. you'll get some sh#t for it there, but the kids'll respect it

Hey thats the exact same boat I'm going to be in. I too want to major in Actuarial Science, but I need to qualify for the Legends Scholarship to be able to go UNL, or else i'll probably wind up at Iowa. The fate of my life at Nebraska depends on my ACT's this saturday!!! :thumbs