Anyone Heard from Bill Callahan?

I wonder if there's a Jets message board somewhere. I'd like to see what Jets fans are saying about the hire.

:yeah

Wonder if the Jets are pepping up their fans with all BC's rhetoric? If I was him, and smart, which he is not as smart as he thinks he is, I would keep my mouth shut and lie low for while...

You can bet whatever Nebraska does this year, he will shoot off his mouth either claiming responsibility if it is good, or saying he had the program headed in the right direction and didn't get the time to finish what he started.

He did say something - you guys missed it?

"Hey, you guys have a good football team. A good football program, lots of good football players, and you know, I hope that there's going to be a lot of success for this good football program in the years to come. And you know, Bo Pelini, he's a good football coach, he's a great guy, you know, a real standup guy, a class act...

"And you know, I enjoyed my good time here with this good football team, but it's just time to move on, and you know, we have a solid football program here in New York, in the pros...and I look forward to continue doing an excellent job here, hey, I'm a good football coach."

He did say something - you guys missed it?

"Hey, you guys have a good football team. A good football program, lots of good football players, and you know, I hope that there's going to be a lot of success for this good football program in the years to come. And you know, Bo Pelini, he's a good football coach, he's a great guy, you know, a real standup guy, a class act...

"And you know, I enjoyed my good time here with this good football team, but it's just time to move on, and you know, we have a solid football program here in New York, in the pros...and I look forward to continue doing an excellent job here, hey, I'm a good football coach."

:LOLtartar

Was that verbatim?

I was wondering if Bill has said anything since the changeover? I was sitting here thinking about it, and it seems a bit strange for a guy who spent four seasons here and not have any parting words, regardless of the negative circumstances surrounding his departure.

Not strange at all. Frank for a long time didn't say anything. I think it's human nature when one gets fired he stays away from the public eye. Yes, I realize the circumstances of the firings of Frank and B.C. were quite different, but regardless of the situations, one is not going to want to talk to the media. At best, one might have a written statement such as what S.P. did after he was fired.

For some reason, shortly after the firing, I believe I heard reports that the Sporting News was going to be getting the first interview within a matter of weeks, due to ties he had with someone at that outlet. Surely he changed his mind or the source felt nothing to be newsworthy yet because word would have surely gotten back to here.

I think it's human nature when one gets fired he stays away from the public eye.

You're right...Mussolini was like that too...

Of course, when Mussolini failed, he was murdered and his corpse was drug through the street. I am not sure BC was there yet, but he and Cosgrove were on the path (mostly joking, but BR fans were PISSED).

If I were Callahan, I would not say much. A team with Nebraska's talanet should not win 5 games 4 years into the mission. He only won 5 games in year one and they stuck with him (I was bitter, but I loved old school Husker Option football combined with hard nose defense, so I felt vinidicated in my bitterness). Anyway, Ironically, he never matched the 10 win season that Solich got fired for. I think, in Hindsight, Solich's firing was a bigger error than the Callahan hiring in a lot of ways. Solich getting canned after winning 10 had to scare a lot of the other options off... Pederson deserved his canning every bit as much, if not more, than BC and Cosgrvoe (OK, maybe not more than Cosgrove). IS there ANY chance the option wil come back? I have ranted on this message board before, I think it would stil work. THe wishbone may not, but the Big Red won pretty recently with that system and it matched well with the talent the could reliably get.... That is a lot of titles and title games to be dismissing it....

I think it's human nature when one gets fired he stays away from the public eye.

Of course, when Mussolini failed, he was murdered and his corpse was drug through the street. I am not sure BC was there yet, but he and Cosgrove were on the path (mostly joking, but BR fans were PISSED).

If I were Callahan, I would not say much. A team with Nebraska's talanet should not win 5 games 4 years into the mission. He only won 5 games in year one and they stuck with him (I was bitter, but I loved old school Husker Option football combined with hard nose defense, so I felt vinidicated in my bitterness). Anyway, Ironically, he never matched the 10 win season that Solich got fired for. I think, in Hindsight, Solich's firing was a bigger error than the Callahan hiring in a lot of ways. Solich getting canned after winning 10 had to scare a lot of the other options off... Pederson deserved his canning every bit as much, if not more, than BC and Cosgrvoe (OK, maybe not more than Cosgrove). IS there ANY chance the option wil come back? I have ranted on this message board before, I think it would stil work. THe wishbone may not, but the Big Red won pretty recently with that system and it matched well with the talent the could reliably get.... That is a lot of titles and title games to be dismissing it....

The option worked pretty well for Illinois last year (of course that was against the high school teams that call themselves the Big 10) so there's really no reason that it shouldn't work for Nebraska if we have a QB that can run it right. Actually, the way almost all defenses are geared to pursuit, you would probably have a monster offense just running the fullback up the middle the majority of the time with a quick pitch now and then to keep em honest. I think it's been so long since anyone ran the option well and defenses are so used to the spread and WCO, that an option offense with some play action passing thrown in would blow most teams up...at least that's the way it looked during most Illinois games.

The option worked pretty well for Illinois last year (of course that was against the high school teams that call themselves the Big 10) so there's really no reason that it shouldn't work for Nebraska if we have a QB that can run it right. Actually, the way almost all defenses are geared to pursuit, you would probably have a monster offense just running the fullback up the middle the majority of the time with a quick pitch now and then to keep em honest. I think it's been so long since anyone ran the option well and defenses are so used to the spread and WCO, that an option offense with some play action passing thrown in would blow most teams up...at least that's the way it looked during most Illinois games.

if navy can do it with the athletes they have then nebraska can do it with bigger athletes. though lets be honest pitt should have beat navy but the stashe doesn't know how to call a game.

honestly, i loved the option dont get me wrong, but its out dated. of course navy ran the option and had some success, but when you get behind in a football game like navy did against utah in their bowl game, they couldnt pass to save their lives. not to mention defenses are getting faster. i would like to see the option evey now and then, but not evey play because its not nearly as effective, especially in the big12. Honestly i think the spread is the way to go.