Now tell me if you respect these guys

I have two concerns with this article -

First of all, to the best of my knowledge, it's not common practice to over-offer like they've done. I could see extending 30-40 offers if you're expecting to have 25 scholarhips available...but 100 offers?!?!?

Just like overbooking flights on an airline - it might work some of the time, but eventually it will bite you in the ass. Either some kids get burned when their offers aren't honored, or other schools use that tactic against them..."Oh...Nebraska extended an offer to you? They really don't mean it."

My second concern is that they've not reviewed last season yet (per the article), yet are recruiting without knowledge of what really needs to be fixed.

I'm sure they know some of the problems just from game film during the year and I can see finding guys to fit an "ideal" roster, but without knowing where your real holes are (yeah, sure...we need receivers...and a QB...and you can't have enough good O linemen) it suggests they're letting HS coaches, Rivals and Scout.com dictate who they're recruiting and haven't spent much time reviewing the candidates themselves.

The whole process seems rather slapdash to me. I hope it works out better than I expect it will.

IRISH!

I have two concerns with this article -

First of all, to the best of my knowledge, it's not common practice to over-offer like they've done. I could see extending 30-40 offers if you're expecting to have 25 scholarhips available...but 100 offers?!?!?

Just like overbooking flights on an airline - it might work some of the time, but eventually it will bite you in the ass. Either some kids get burned when their offers aren't honored, or other schools use that tactic against them..."Oh...Nebraska extended an offer to you? They really don't mean it."

My second concern is that they've not reviewed last season yet (per the article), yet are recruiting without knowledge of what really needs to be fixed.

I'm sure they know some of the problems just from game film during the year and I can see finding guys to fit an "ideal" roster, but without knowing where your real holes are (yeah, sure...we need receivers...and a QB...and you can't have enough good O linemen) it suggests they're letting HS coaches, Rivals and Scout.com dictate who they're recruiting and haven't spent much time reviewing the candidates themselves.

The whole process seems rather slapdash to me. I hope it works out better than I expect it will.

IRISH!

Excellent points.

It's all a numbers game. I would be surprised if NU has never offered more than their share. It seems it will work out welll too. We have just enough ships left for the likely commits. A lot of offers that were extended were tied to an official visit as well. Which leads me to believe that the coaching staff was confident that bringing a kid in, on game day especially, will help seal the deal. I don't see offering that many a huge problem. I think these guys have a decent handle on what they are doing with recruiting.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out if you have 25 scholarships to give out and you offer 100, there is a chance that you will run over. I don't know why but some people for some reason think that these guys just got off the bus yesterday when it comes to this stuff. John Blake.

Let's not get too cerebral about simple numbers.

I knew someone would bring this up. They review game tape every Sunday during the season. I am sure it wasn't hard, after seeing mostly the same things in every game, to determine what needs to be done.

Now, with recruiting, the coaches do not dictate the timeframe in which they can get recruiting done. Signing Day is Feb 2nd. That' means that they, every coach in NCAA Div 1-A, has until then to recruit and get the players they want. It seems to me that it would be foolish to waste that time looking at game film you have seen many times before. Especially when they know damn well other staffs aren't locked in a room reviewing film and sitting in meetings. It isn't as if they weren't present for every practice and every game for nearly a year. IMO, they have plenty of time to study last year in further detail and recruiting time shouldn't be wasted on it.

As far as letting some ranking service dictate who they get, that's simply not true. Callahan said himself that he couldn't care less about those services. Now you can say he is lying but no one can prove that and IMO, thats simply being cynical. Iif you look at the recruiting class, it's rings true that they couldn't care less about the services. If they simply let the services dictate who they want, our class would be full of nothing short of 4 :star players. It isn't. We have kids like Robert Rands and Jeff Souder. Also, there are other kids like Tyrell Spain who have just come on the map recently who have gone relatively unnoticed by the recruiting services until recently. Kinda hard to find these kinds of kids if you are sitting in your office on rivals.com or scout.com wouldn't you say?

By looking at where these coaches have traveled and the frequency in which they hit the key states, it is obvious to me they have spent a lot of time with these kids in their homes and/or schools. Not only that, I wouldn't doubt that most of our kids get at least one phone call a week from their head recruiter. If you want to talk about someone possibly using services, that are often times looking from the outside in, to accomplish recruiting I would start at Georgia. Last I looked, they have nothing short of 4 :star recruits on their commit list.

slapdash? Hardly, IMO. At this point, it seems pretty calculated considering the amount of junior college players that they are bringing in. What I mean by that is if you can bring kids in that can have an immediate impact, like JuCo's do, you don't have to baptize as many of your freshman and sophomores by fire. I would expect us to pick up a few less Junior College players next year to ward off what someone dubbed "The KState Effect". High school players is where it's at in the long term.

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

IRISH!

Actually, this is not uncommon. A lot of offers are conditional; the recruit is told that the school is offering to a number of players at that position, and that either the first to accept is "it", or that the offer is valid only if a particular kid does not accept.

The former is more common - it's designed to get kids to verbal and hopefully "lock" them in to the class. Coaches also do it knowing that the a lot of the kids to whom the offer is extended will verbal to another school. When they happens - and depending on how solid the verbal is in the opinion of the staff - they cross the player off the list. Works itself out over time.

Recruiting is the name of the game in college football and has been for a long time. NU use to get away with a lot of instate players when we ran the option, but now we need talent to make the offense work. There are great recruits in Nebraska, but we have to reach out and get the best of the best.

Hats off to the coaching staff. Great job putting this class together. Let's get them ready to play now.

GO HUSKERS

It's all a numbers game. I would be surprised if NU has never offered more than their share. It seems it will work out welll too. We have just enough ships left for the likely commits. A lot of offers that were extended were tied to an official visit as well. Which leads me to believe that the coaching staff was confident that bringing a kid in, on game day especially, will help seal the deal. I don't see offering that many a huge problem. I think these guys have a decent handle on what they are doing with recruiting.

It doesn't take a genious to figure out if you have 25 scholarships to give out and you offer 100, there is a chance that you will run over. I don't know why but some people for some reason think that these guys just got off the bus yesterday when it comes to this stuff. John Blake.

Let's not get too cerebral about simple numbers.

I knew someone would bring this up. They review game tape every Sunday during the season. I am sure it wasn't hard, after seeing mostly the same things in every game, to determine what needs to be done.

Now, with recruiting, the coaches do not dictate the timeframe in which they can get recruiting done. Signing Day is Feb 2nd. That' means that they, every coach in NCAA Div 1-A, has until then to recruit and get the players they want. It seems to me that it would be foolish to waste that time looking at game film you have seen many times before. Especially when they know damn well other staffs aren't locked in a room reviewing film and sitting in meetings. It isn't as if they weren't present for every practice and every game for nearly a year. IMO, they have plenty of time to study last year in further detail and recruiting time shouldn't be wasted on it.

As far as letting some ranking service dictate who they get, that's simply not true. Callahan said himself that he couldn't care less about those services. Now you can say he is lying but no one can prove that and IMO, thats simply being cynical. Iif you look at the recruiting class, it's rings true that they couldn't care less about the services. If they simply let the services dictate who they want, our class would be full of nothing short of 4 :star players. It isn't. We have kids like Robert Rands and Jeff Souder. Also, there are other kids like Tyrell Spain who have just come on the map recently who have gone relatively unnoticed by the recruiting services until recently. Kinda hard to find these kinds of kids if you are sitting in your office on rivals.com or scout.com wouldn't you say?

By looking at where these coaches have traveled and the frequency in which they hit the key states, it is obvious to me they have spent a lot of time with these kids in their homes and/or schools. Not only that, I wouldn't doubt that most of our kids get at least one phone call a week from their head recruiter. If you want to talk about someone possibly using services, that are often times looking from the outside in, to accomplish recruiting I would start at Georgia. Last I looked, they have nothing short of 4 :star recruits on their commit list.

slapdash? Hardly, IMO. At this point, it seems pretty calculated considering the amount of junior college players that they are bringing in. What I mean by that is if you can bring kids in that can have an immediate impact, like JuCo's do, you don't have to baptize as many of your freshman and sophomores by fire. I would expect us to pick up a few less Junior College players next year to ward off what someone dubbed "The KState Effect". High school players is where it's at in the long term.

Great Post!

There are great recruits in Nebraska, but we have to reach out and get the best of the best.

Really? I'm sure you don't mean this year, haha!

I think we got the best potential in Potter and the best performer this year in Souder. And besides Rands and Gorski, was there really much more talent in the state this year?

John Blake may be a horrible DL coach, but we need to give this guy a big fat juicy Big Red RAISE....

He may be the top recruiter in the country !!! :worship

If he can't coach, hell just make him the recruiting coordinator and pay him well !!!

There are great recruits in Nebraska, but we have to reach out and get the best of the best.

Really? I'm sure you don't mean this year, haha!

I think we got the best potential in Potter and the best performer this year in Souder. And besides Rands and Gorski, was there really much more talent in the state this year?

Gorski isn't even close to D-1 level player

One more reasons respect is in order

Not one to sit on their laurels, Nebraska wasted no time in taking one day to personally visit his girlfriend (Kristine) in Florida, his parents in California and Justin himself back at Butler Community College.

Three states in one day to convince Tomerlin to commit..... :worship

Gotta admit, this is very impressive.

Initiative and priority all the way.