Official NU vs UT thread

Husker win 14-4

Huskers top Longhorns in Austin

BY CURT McKEEVER / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 - 11:30:36 pm CDT

AUSTIN, Texas — Ben Kline is a 19-year-old freshman who looks like he just started to shave.

But standing in Disch-Falk Field on Friday evening, checking out a scoreboard that showed 15th-ranked Nebraska had smoked No. 10 Texas 14-4 in the opener of a three-game series, the Huskers’ shortstop sported the act of a grizzled veteran.

“That’s staying in the game,” Kline said in reference to NU scoring the last 14 runs to produce its largest comeback in two seasons. “Guys kept their composure.”

It must seem easy to the rest when rookies like Kline and fellow freshman Dan Johnston do.

Nebraska trailed the Longhorns 4-3 with one out in the fifth inning when Texas called on right-handed freshman Brandon Workman to get out a jam. Workman, by the way, was a third-round draft pick of Philadelphia last June.

Johnston, who earlier this season drove in the decisive run in a series-sweeping win at Kansas State, promptly delivered a pinch-hit single to shallow right field to bring Kline to the plate with the bases loaded.

After just getting a piece of a 1-2 pitch, looking at a delivery in the dirt and fouling off another, Kline proceeded to line a two-run single to left.

Suddenly, the Huskers had their first lead and the floodgates were officially open.

“It was a quality AB because he decided to fight,” NU coach Mike Anderson said of Kline, who in Wednesday’s 9-4 win against Northern Colorado ended a 0-for-17 stretch with a pair of hits. “Being a freshman, he’s going to have some good ABs and some bad ABs. That was a good one, and I think the difference was he just refused to get beat. Today was a day where you saw some signs of a hitter growing up.”

And some more of the same from the Huskers.

Nebraska extended its best-ever start to Big 12 Conference play by improving to 6-0-1 in the league and to 20-3-1 overall.

While scoring against each of the six Texas pitchers they faced, the Huskers produced season highs in runs and hits (17).

Kline, 3-for-5 with three RBIs, was one of five to drive in at least two runs — a fact that led to the Longhorns suffering their first double-digit loss in a Big 12 game since 201.

Somewhat lost in that offensive barrage was a strange but eventually wonderful outing by pitcher Johnny Dorn.

The right-handed senior had given up six hits and all four of his runs before recording his seventh out. He then retired nine straight before being pulled after yielding a leadoff double in the top of the sixth. Nebraska, which led 6-4 at the time, then got four perfect innings from left-handed junior Dan Jennings, who earned his first career save.

Undoubtedly most of the folks from a crowd of 5,922 who stuck around to the bitter end were wishing that, rather than watching the Huskers tack on four more runs in both the seventh and eighth innings, they had instead left to watch the Longhorns’ men’s basketball team advance to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament.

Though disappointed to see his team disintegrate like it did, Texas’ Augie Garrido, who has the most wins of any coach in NCAA Division I history, marveled over NU.

He had praise for how Dorn fought through his problems to settle down and how his teammates, who had scored just three total runs for him in his first two Big 12 starts, picked things up on offense.

“Once they got the lead, they ran with it. They had a killer instinct,” Garrido said. “They didn’t let down. I mean, that’s really good stuff. That’s what every team wants to do.”

Friday’s result marked Nebraska’s eighth come-from-behind win of the season.

Dorn (3-0) worked out his problems immediately after NU pitching coach Eric Newman visited the mound after Dorn gave up back-to-back doubles to Jordan Danks and Brandon Belt to start the third.

Well, he did uncork a wild pitch right after that to let Belt advance to third. But after Preston Clark was retired on a nubber in front of catcher Mitch Abeita, Kyle Russell flew out to shallow right field and Russell Moldenhauer lined out to first, the Longhorns were still sitting with four runs.

“That (second) double we kind of got mixed up on pitches, threw a fastball down the middle instead of a changeup, and that’s what he came out for to kind of get on my butt,” Dorn said. “But he settled us down a little bit and (we) found that rhythm.

“We just keep fighting back. We get punched in the face early like today — that’s just how much heart we’ve got.”

And maybe, particularly in the case of Johnston and Kline on Friday, experience beyond their years.

“I was watching his release point and everything,” said Kline of his fifth-inning at-bat against Workman, which he started by pulling a liner that nearly drilled NU’s base runner at third, Craig Corriston, in foul territory. “I was a little out in front, but all I knew was I’ve just got to sit back a little longer and then things would work out.”

Reach Curt McKeever at 473-7441 or cmckeever@journalstar.com.

I heard this game was on fox sports net...anyone confirm time and possible tv

Nevermind...

The Huskers and Longhorns will continue the series Saturday night at 6 p.m. The game will be carried live on the Husker Sports Network and on Huskers.com and will be televised on FSN (Ch. 647 on DirecTV; Ch. 447; Ch. 37 on Time Warner in Lincoln).