East Stadium Expansion Project

Why does the baseball team need additions first? Haymarket is one of the nicest D1 facilities in the nation.

The problem with the Athletic Dept. is they think small on new projects. There is no reason at all that the Haymarket should not have had a lot more seating when they built it. Now we are going to be having to get creative to expand it, taking away the general admission seating in the outfield.

I see no reason at all why Haymarket should not be expanded...they sell out every game, and they are ranked in the Top 10 of D1, over the past few years they have been ranked more than the football team if anyone has noticed. I see fan support in the same way that the football program is being supported for both the baseball and the softball programs for that matter. Like I said, the University was wrong thinking so small when they built those venues originally, now they need to pay up and get creative on how to rectify that situation fairly to those programs.

To be fair HuskerTrucker, many midweek games, expecially bad weather games barely break 3000 as far as attendance goes.

Hawks field holds 8,500 fans, the highest average attendance recorded so far for a season was set 2 years ago with a mark of 5,092 fans per game, top 15 in the nation, and a lifetime average of 4,984, good for 6th in the nation. but both marks are well below a full park average.

Yes Hawks field is packed on the weekends when we are winning, but not at a rate conductive of a major expansion and Bowlin holds 2,500 fans and though I haven't seen statistics, I doubt the softball games get more than 700 people in the stands for any given game on average.

Granted, again we are looking 5-10 years down the line and it could be more than warranted to do something at by that point, but at this point that really doesn't seem to be a major issue.

To be fair HuskerTrucker, many midweek games, expecially bad weather games barely break 3000 as far as attendance goes.

Hawks field holds 8,500 fans, the highest average attendance recorded so far for a season was set 2 years ago with a mark of 5,092 fans per game, top 15 in the nation, and a lifetime average of 4,984, good for 6th in the nation. but both marks are well below a full park average.

Yes Hawks field is packed on the weekends when we are winning, but not at a rate conductive of a major expansion and Bowlin holds 2,500 fans and though I haven't seen statistics, I doubt the softball games get more than 700 people in the stands for any given game on average.

Granted, again we are looking 5-10 years down the line and it could be more than warranted to do something at by that point, but at this point that really doesn't seem to be a major issue.

I accept your argument, but I think you have to look at the time of day that they are playing also...people have to work during the week. I, one that gets an occasional day off during the week, wish that I could get someone that has season tickets to give them up if they aren't going to use them, without gouging me for them. As a result, I end up going to Saltdog games, because I can actually get a box seat at a reasonable price on short notice more often than not.

I still believe that the University could think bigger when undertaking a project such as a new stadium. When the season tickets are sold out the first year, it is indicative that they built too small for the demand. Another aspect that I didn't mention earlier is recruiting. I think it would definitely boost the effort when it come to recruiting to bring a kid in and show him a bigger stadium. Haymarket is nice, but there are a lot of bigger venues around college baseball. I think Nebraskans will support not only a bigger stadium for football, but with their purchase of season tickets (which are affordable) a bigger stadium for baseball.

The most pressing need for Memorial Stadium is a new scoreboard! One with a large number under HUSKERS and a smaller number under VISITOR. If that doesn't change and we regularly go 5-6 there won't be a need for more seats, nor will we be able to afford changes to basketball, baseball or any other facilities.

The most pressing need for Memorial Stadium is a new scoreboard! One with a large number under HUSKERS and a smaller number under VISITOR. If that doesn't change and we regularly go 5-6 there won't be a need for more seats, nor will we be able to afford changes to basketball, baseball or any other facilities.

:yeah One with triple digits, right????? :clap

With Bo's defense, hopefully we won't need triple digits. How 'bout we just leave the VISITOR side unlit until someone is lucky enough to score? :bonez

I could see Bo at midfield pre-game with Stoops. Hey Bo, how come our side of the scoreboard ain't lit up. Well Bob, think you kicker has an 80-yard leg?

With Bo's defense, hopefully we won't need triple digits. How 'bout we just leave the VISITOR side unlit until someone is lucky enough to score? :bonez

I could see Bo at midfield pre-game with Stoops. Hey Bo, how come our side of the scoreboard ain't lit up. Well Bob, think you kicker has an 80-yard leg?

The triple digit is only on our side...

Yeah, I got it. I just meant if we hold everyone to zero, we won't need to score more than 99. Although if Watson has it in him, go for it.

You know...all we need is a kick returner that returns it all the way every time, then we don't need an offense. :clap

They were talking about this issue on "The Spread" one night. They said the main obstacle in expanding the East Stadium would be that the current stands are not structuraly strong enough to support the weight of an expansion. I would think that they could find a way to expand. Hell they did it to the west side. I for one would love to see 100,000 plus in the old girl.

from an objective opinion, Being the only game in town ( no pro sports) and no other major schools in the state, I believe the Huskers could sell 100,000 plus to every game. Alabama had plans to expand to 102,000, starting this year, but they have been postponed until the economic picture is less clouded. That might be the only consideration.

Let me introduce myself, I'm obviously an Alabama fan, living in atlanta, Been lurking here and on other boards a few years, looking for football . Can't wait til the season starts!!!, and its only April