East Stadium Expansion Project

I think it would be awesome to add on to east stadium, basically match west stadium on the east side. Add more sky boxes, maybe more bleachers below. It would help keep more noise in the stadium. I wish we could completely close in the corners but I just don't think it can be done without tearing down south stadium completely and obviously you couldn't even do that with the north after the great job that was done to that, just wish it didn't have holes for noise to go out and NORTH winds to blow in, brrr.

The stadium could expand up to 110,000 and I still don't think the sellout streak would ever be put into jeporady. And I don't see any reasons why something isn't in the works. Looking at memorial stadium in pictures from the northeast, east stadium just looks so, um dated. Not to mention with Major projects going on at Texas and Michigan(any others?), we need to keep up nationally.

In a way I see your point, but at the same time, if you want to TRULY be at the top of the game every single year in facilities you have to never, ever stop renovating and redoing things, which just can't be done.

East stadium definitely could get good additions and I would be all for it, but I wouldn't want more skyboxes. That would seem like overkill to me. Honestly, other than the skyboxes, east side and west side look the same to my eyes. It would be cool if they extended the seating up though.

IDK

I think it would be awesome to add on to east stadium, basically match west stadium on the east side. Add more sky boxes, maybe more bleachers below. It would help keep more noise in the stadium. I wish we could completely close in the corners but I just don't think it can be done without tearing down south stadium completely and obviously you couldn't even do that with the north after the great job that was done to that, just wish it didn't have holes for noise to go out and NORTH winds to blow in, brrr.

The stadium could expand up to 110,000 and I still don't think the sellout streak would ever be put into jeporady. And I don't see any reasons why something isn't in the works. Looking at memorial stadium in pictures from the northeast, east stadium just looks so, um dated. Not to mention with Major projects going on at Texas and Michigan(any others?), we need to keep up nationally.

As much as I would love to see more expansion on seating, I am dead against anymore luxury boxes....and I think the amount of seating that would be expanded has to be kept in check a little bit. If we had had 110000 seats this last season, I am not so sure that we would have had them all sold for some of the games...I remember fans leaving at half-time. If there were two seasons back to back like that, I think it may be in question how many people would not renew their seasons tickets...

I would love to see 110,000 seats...but I want the "common" people to get the seating, not the companies and the rich. We don't need a class system at our football games...I like to think that everyone goes the same, like at a high school football game. I would rather see the money spent on other things than giving the rich donors more perks. If they want to donate great, but do it for the right reasons, not just to show how much better off you are than the average Joe.

I guess the way I was looking at it from the skyboxes perspective is that A. It would look better cosmetically to be uniform. and B. It would move those companies and rich people up and make my seats more affordable.

I just threw out 110,000. I would though like to see another 10,000 added to the capacity. I don't understand how increasing capacity would make it harder for the average joe to get tickets. It is nearly impossible for them as it is. If I can get tickets for $150 a piece I consider them a bargain, ofcourse I have a seating prefrence that I'm strict about. But using supply and demand, one would think that if demand stays the same, and supply goes up, prices should drop or atleast stay the same, not increase as you were implying HT.

I don't see the sellout even at 110,000 being in jeporady anytime soon, there's still quite the waiting list ya know. Last year wasn't so much the product on the field as it was, trying to get the devil(pederson) to realize that the fans will not tolerate a incompetent coach (cosgrove). HuskerNation wanted a change and sometimes you have to take drastic measures. Had Pederson not been fired, and we had similar results this year as an effect of that then I'd agree the streak would be in jeporady. However, with TO around, Bo back, I don't see it being in jeporady for atleast another 5 years, and thats only if BO busts as bad as Cally..... Somehow that just doesn't seem possible..

Edit: So I re-read your post after I posted this HT, and yah I get what you mean by that but the fact is I know a lot of people who have skyboxes and they don't look down on me just because I can't afford season tickets, in fact I've been taken by 2 different couples to the game to view from the skyboxes.

I think that the greatest obstacle preventing further expansion is the money issue, If i remember correctly the most recent expansion was out of the budget and had to be bailed out by some of the greater donors. I would love to see the stadium size increased however I think were going to have to see some more championships before that dream will come true...

I think that the greatest obstacle preventing further expansion is the money issue, If i remember correctly the most recent expansion was out of the budget and had to be bailed out by some of the greater donors. I would love to see the stadium size increased however I think were going to have to see some more championships before that dream will come true...

Wasn't there an arcticle last fall about how well financially the Athletic department is doing. If there's one thing Pederson was good at, it was money. And any project at any University needs donors, thats why they are there, that's why they get inside access, that's why Dr. Tom uses their jet to fly to Baton Rouge in the middle of December. I doubt money would be an issue, the bigger issue would be allocations of said money. A lot of people would like to see a new arena downtown for basketball, but the fact is it would cost less and generate more income to add 10,000 seats at memorial stadium than it would to build a new arena downtown.

With TO back in the mix, the donors might be willing to help out more than with Stevie in charge. Look at how many people were upset and were threatening to pull their money if something was not done. I think they should wait a couple of years to see how Bo does. Since he is traveling around the state, I am sure the people are very, very happy. He has probably been out in Nebraska talking with people more than BC did in his tenure here.

It would be sweet to have more seating on the east side. I am against the skyboxes idea. There are already enough of those. Just keep adding more seats for the "average Joes".

I think our first priority should be giving the volleyball, baseball and definitely the Basketball program the upgrades they need to continue to be and become even more effective... the basketball coaches deserve an office complex if nothing else and preferably a new practice facility and arena adjoining Haymarket Park.

I do agree the south stadium needs renovated badly, a mirror of the north side would be awesome but probably not cost effective - but something needs to be done... I'd really love the facade of the east side to carry around to the south as the open scaffolding looks really cheap nowadays.

As for the East, I'd love for it to mirror the west, but again that is probably not nessesary or effective as we don't need that many more skyboxes. What I'd like to see is for them to mirror the facade, mirror the height but instead of skyboxes have a large mural or some sort of other tributarial - possibly a very large bronze plaque or something- above the added balcony seating depicting the tradition of Husker football.

Memorial.png

Concessions could be built between the two upper decks, and depending on space concerns etc. the entire upper portion behind the mural could make a great spot to put the Husker Hall of Fame that TO keeps talking about.

I think we've got enough seats for now.

Nebraska is a small state and I would hate to see the sell out streak come to an end at some point just because we don't have the bodies to fill the stadium. Plus, if the east stadium had skyboxes added it would sort of take away from the view and the openess of the stadium.

You know what would really look nice.......if they would make the east side of the stadium exactly the same as the westside of the stadium minus the box seats. I love driving on 10th street and just admirring the westside of the stadium with the new look with the windows and the two big N on the front with the flags below. I like when your walking the streets and they have that new entrance on the westside and everything. If we had the exact same thing on the other side minus the skybox, it would look sweet and it would add more character to the stadium.

The only problem with the eastside is that you have to worry about keeping that main entrance the way it is when/if they add on to the eastside. I hope everybody knows what i'm talking about with that entrance which is direclty behind the statue of the football players talking that one player.

I think we've got enough seats for now.

Nebraska is a small state and I would hate to see the sell out streak come to an end at some point just because we don't have the bodies to fill the stadium. Plus, if the east stadium had skyboxes added it would sort of take away from the view and the openess of the stadium.

Actually if we add more seats and our new capacity would be 90-100k I can actually see the consecutive sell-out still going strong cause there's a long list of people waiting to get season tickets. I'm on the list and I would love to get season tickets as well as everyone of you on this board!!!

Pretty sure the last budget talks stated that the volleyball coaches offices need an overhaul pretty badly.

As for baseball, the facilities are top of the line, but remember Mike Anderson will need a new contract in 2 years, - as will Bingham I believe. And don't think Newman won't want paid if the pitching continues to do as well as it has been through another few seasons.

And as for basketball, besides an arena and practice facilities, does anyone really think that if Sadler continues to improve and other schools come calling we are going to get by paying less than 1 million a year.. it will probably be closer to 1.8 - 2.4 million or more if we get where we want to be - expecially since coaches are likely to be getting serious bumps around the country in the wake of the OSU hire.- whomever it is.

I'd love more renovations to Memorial as much as anyone, but we should put money into a few other programs for a couple years first to keep them at or above a comfortable competitive edge, expecially since we are a mere 2 years removed from a 35 million dollar upgrade towards the football program.

Granted, most of these aren't multi million dollar investments, save basketball.. but they do need to take precedence over upgrading Memorial again. at least in the short term of the next 2-5 years or so.