practice notes 4/11/08

Friday practice report

Nebraska practiced some situational drills Friday afternoon, including work on various defensive blitz packages.

Saturday's practice is expected to feature a heavy dose of scrimmaging.

"We're going to try to ramp it up a little bit and move the ball for the first time this spring," offensive line coach Barney Cotton said. "We'll actually let the offense go and let the defense try to stop the offense for about half the practice. It will be about half-normal, half-scrimmage (practice)."

Senior Marlon Lucky is having a strong camp and should be considered Nebraska's top I-back, Husker running backs coach Tim Beck said after Friday's workout.

But make no mistake, the buzz this spring about sophomore Roy Helu is legitimate.

"He's a physical presence blocking," Beck said. "He can run inside and outside and has good vision and quick feet in the hole. He's catching well. The key is, he's understanding (the offense) better, so he's playing faster."

Beck said Helu is "hands down" the team's most improved running back, at least based on what the coach heard about last season. But Beck also praised the progress of redshirt freshman Marcus Mendoza.

Meanwhile, sophomore Quentin Castille missed Friday's practice.

"Quentin's been sick — he had a pretty bad flu bug," Beck said.

Castille said he probably could have practiced but was told by coaches to take the day off and get better. He's expected to be back today and is looking to take his level of play up a notch.

"I'm actually looking to (get) more of the every-down back type carries," Castille said. "I know my ablilities and everything like that. It's my fault that I haven't done as much as I can to be that every-down back."

As for the former running back turned linebacker, senior Cody Glenn said he is working exclusively with the No. 1 defensive unit and that he's decided the position move is permanent

link

A few Huskers ailing Friday

Three fairly prominent sophomores are sitting out of Friday's practice at Hawks Championship Center.

Will Henry apparently is still bothered by a right hamstring injury. He has missed all but one practice this spring.

Guard Keith Williams evidently injured his left shoulder in Wednesday's practice.

I-back Quentin Castille also is sitting out, although I'm not sure of the injury.

None of the injuries appears to be serious, as each of the three were on the field in sweats.

At tight end, both Mike McNeill and Dreu Young were practicing after missing some workouts last week.

David Pillen of Sugar Land, Texas -- a walk-on fullback/linebacker in the Huskers' 2008 recruiting class -- was watching the practice alongside his father Clete Pillen, a former NU standout linebacker from Columbus.

Tom Osborne was also watching some of the practice from a skywalk above the field.

post#5 on blog link:

Steve Sipple

Jensen was not at practice. I think we'll get some kind of

official word from Bo Pelini on Saturday, at least that's

our hope.

post #12: Steve Sipple

Wow, thanks for the kind words. We appreciate it.

Kenny Wilson has practiced only once this spring, on the

first day.

Stafford was not at practice.

I'd say Mendoza stands fourth on the depth chart, behind

Lucky, Helu, Castille, but nothing is official on that

count. That's just from personal observation.

link

"Quentin's been sick — he had a pretty bad flu bug," Beck said.

Castille said he probably could have practiced but was told by coaches to take the day off and get better. He's expected to be back today and is looking to take his level of play up a notch.

Probably the first article there :)

(Huskerboards own) David Pillen of Sugar Land, Texas -- a walk-on fullback/linebacker in the Huskers' 2008 recruiting class -- was watching the practice alongside his father Clete Pillen, a former NU standout linebacker from Columbus.

:clap:clap:clap Good notes from the practice. I really want Castille to step his game up because I think he could be an outstanding back. He has all the physical attributes to be a bruiser.