Could somebody please explain what the Unity Council is??

basically it is where the team gets together like once a week and sets up guidelines for themselves. i believe the whole team gets involved, and they vote on different restrictions, etc. i could be wrong but i think they might also have an effect on punishing the players as well, not the final decision just helping make the decision.

Basically it is similar to a team government. There were eight offensive players , eight defensive players and one kicker voted into the council by the players themselves and they used to meet on Tuesday nights to handle any team business that was nessesary.

They were the leaders of the team that players went to for guidance and feedback with anything on or off the field and the council was also tasked with reprimanding players that was upset with someone else on the team, skipped class, caused a disturbance on or off the field - basically anything that didn't nessesarily need to be handled by the coaches themselves.

It also gave the player a say in the coaches punishment decisions on more severe infractions though the coach had the final say in those matters.

Return of the Unity Council

The Unity Council began at Nebraska in 1991 and featured eight players apiece from offense and defense plus one kicker. Unity Council members met on Tuesdays, "and we went through everything," former team psychologist Jack Stark told the LJS in January. "We dealt with all of the issues and problems that needed work."

For instance, if a player missed classes or was slacking in practice, the Unity Council might issue a stern reprimand. Plus, players had a voice in various team matters. Team unity improved dramatically, Stark said.

"Once we started it, in those next eight to 10 years, I never saw much complaining," Stark said.

link