Keller trying Tampa

Keller trying Tampa

Former Nebraska quarterback Sam Keller is headed to Tampa Bay on Thursday to participate in the Bucs' rookie mini-camp. He'll try to make the team as a free agent.

"If it doesn't work out, I'll then go to the Arena League," Keller said Wednesday.

Keller completed a single-season Nebraska record 63.1 percent of his passes in nine games last season for 2,422 yards and 14 touchdowns. His season and career ended when he suffered a broken collar bone in the fourth quarter against Texas.

Still, Keller said he had expected to be selected in the late rounds of last weekend's NFL Draft, or signed as a free agent.

Neither happened. Now, his future is up in the air.

"Obviously, there are some people out there who don't think I can play," Keller said. "This weekend was disappointing. But I guess it's just some more adversity for Sammy."

Keller, however, is upbeat to get an opportunity with Tampa Bay. He said he'll be one of two rookie quarterbacks at the camp, the other being Josh Johnson of San Diego.

"I'm going down there feeling good -- I'm just just super, super excited," Keller said.

link

For Sammy? lol is it just me or does he sound like he knows a lot of Husker fans could care less if he fails at making a team? I still wish him well.

I think he was talking about Pro Scouts..

Comment from: knapplc

I really like seeing the "Sam is a Husker" comments. I have

the utmost respect for the guy, and I am glad he found a

home here, if only for a little while. He was in a really

tough spot down in Arizona, he came here and did the best he

could in a very tough situation, and from what I can recall

(correct me if I'm wrong), he always handled himself very

well in the buildup to the 2007 season, he handled his

"competition" with Joey very well, and he was a huge

supporter of Joey and the team when his season was over.

Think about that - this kid was auditioning for his

livelihood last year, he was NOT getting any kind of in-game

support from the last coaching staff, he was more often than

not put in a horrible position by the defense (sorry,

defense, but it's true), and then in the middle of it all he

got knocked out for the rest of the season and there went

probably hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars.

We've all seen lots and lots of players go pout in that

situation, but not Sam. He stood up, arm in a sling,

cheered on the offense, answered the questions the press

asked him, and generally remained positive during one of the

worst stretches of Husker football in anyone's lifetime.

That's class.

I don't know if he'll make it in the NFL, but I really hope

he does. I also hope he knows he has fans back here in

Huskerland, and that he remembers us if/when he makes it big

in the pros.

Sam speaking frankly

A few more tidbits about Keller . . .

Sam is among the most approachable, down-to-earth and frank athletes you'll ever come across -- at least that's the way I regard him.

To that end, he makes no bones about his feelings going into last weekend's NFL Draft. In short, he didn't like his chances to be picked.

"I was just surprised with how much teams didn't like me," he said Wednesday. "I was surprised with how much much I heard that teams don't like my (throwing) release. They continued to question the Arizona State situation no matter what I said . . . I got that stuff out at the NFL combine the best I could with everybody I talked to."

It wasn't enough.

"Character and release. It just kept coming back that teams didn't like those things. It's just something I continue to have to battle."

He admits he's nervous about his big chance in Tampa. Nervous and excited. He wants to stay around football. He describes himself as a "field rat," much like a gym rat. That's why he'd go to the Arena League and play if things don't work out with the Bucs.

"I'll keep trying until my body doesn't work," he said.

link

I truly wish him the best. The kid came in here with a ton of baggage. Despite that, he gave maximum effort, he said and did the right things (with the exception of the cup-throwing incident), and he gave it his best. And when you boil it down, that's what it means to be a Husker. So, go get 'em, Sam - hope it works for you.

I really thought at one point he had what it takes to make a living in the NFL at least on the sidelines. As the season went on, I wondered how much he was scared to make a mistake as all he really knew was to dump it off to Lucky. The other half of me still wonders how much of that came from Callahan. Lets blame it on Callahan!

Keller working with Raiders

After working with the Tampa Bay Bucs last week, former Husker quarterback Sam Keller is at a different mini camp this week.

He's wearing silver and black with the Oakland Raiders.

It at least figures to be a somewhat better situation than the one awaiting him in Tampa, where the Bucs already had seven quarterbacks under contract when he arrived.

link