Strength of non-conference schedule

NU will not be favored against Va Tech. I agree that Glennon is the one that a Husker would want to see start, but I am pretty sure Taylor will be redshirted. Nebraska will get smacked in the face by our defense in 2008 with our offense doing nothing behind Glennon. In 2009, it will be a blowout with Tyrod Taylor dominating.

No offense Hokie Nation but I really like Nebraska's chance against you guys. Is the game in Lincoln? If so I can see the hokies getting beat. You're defense lost a lot of key guys. And your offense scares no one.

NU had the #113 defense in the nation last year --- thus ANYONES offense (including VTech's) is scary. Unless the defense improves dramatically (and it might) virtually any offense in Div. 1 can put up plenty of points on NU.

Granted, NU's defense will be closer to # 50 this year than #113 (I'd expect, or, at least hope) --- but any team out there can move the ball on NU so do not think that VTech will be be scared by the NU defense, think again.

VTech will be favored and rightly so.

NU will not be favored against Va Tech. I agree that Glennon is the one that a Husker would want to see start, but I am pretty sure Taylor will be redshirted. Nebraska will get smacked in the face by our defense in 2008 with our offense doing nothing behind Glennon. In 2009, it will be a blowout with Tyrod Taylor dominating.

No offense Hokie Nation but I really like Nebraska's chance against you guys. Is the game in Lincoln? If so I can see the hokies getting beat. You're defense lost a lot of key guys. And your offense scares no one.

NU had the #113 defense in the nation last year --- thus ANYONES offense (including VTech's) is scary. Unless the defense improves dramatically (and it might) virtually any offense in Div. 1 can put up plenty of points on NU.

Granted, NU's defense will be closer to # 50 this year than #113 (I'd expect, or, at least hope) --- but any team out there can move the ball on NU so do not think that VTech will be be scared by the NU defense, think again.

VTech will be favored and rightly so.

Must agree, but will be interested to see how it plays out....

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Non-Conference Games...saw this for the Big 12 and it seems like a pretty accurate assesment:

Here are my thoughts on the OOC scheduling for the Big 12 this year. I am looking at the strength of the scheduling team, FBS (Div-1A), and current success of the scheduled team. I am not factoring in past schedules. In case you missed my other grades here are the links: ACC, Big 10(+1), SEC, Pac-10, and Big East.

Colorado – Colorado State, Eastern Washington, West Virginia, Florida State. Colorado has managed to make their OOC schedule rather competitive. The rivalry game with Colorado State is always a tough game for Colorado. Eastern Michigan is a tune up game, and Eastern Washington is a patsy. West Virginia made minced-meat of the vaunted Oklahoma defense last year, but we must remember that Colorado also handed OU a loss last year. This year's WVU may not be quite as good as last year's with out R-Rod there. Florida State is loaded with talent and controversy. Grade: A

Baylor – Wake Forest, Northwestern State, Washington State, Connecticut. Baylor has a monster OOC schedule, but I think it may have been an accident. WF and UCONN are quality teams as of late, but PAC-10 Spoiler Washington State is not a patsy. Northwestern State is though. I am willing to overlook the Northwestern State game because it is Baylor we are talking about. Baylor will need to play better than they have in the past in order to get to conference play 1-3. Grade: A

Oklahoma – Chattanooga, Cincinnati, Washington, TCU. Chattanooga is a patsy and should not be on the schedule. Cincinnati has improved and they are coming off a stellar season, but for Oklahoma they should be no problem. Washington is a BCS conference team that may have a good game a few times a year, but they have not been consistently good since the early to mid 90’s. TCU is one of the most consistently good non-BCS conference teams out there. When I see TCU on an OOC schedule, I consider that a decent test for any team. The problem I have with this schedule is the Cattanooga game. You are OU. Schedule Div-1 teams. Grade: B-

Nebraska – Western Michigan, San Jose State, New Mexico State, Virginia Tech. Nebraska must subscribe to the philosophy that supports only scheduling one quality team OOC. Very disappointing, but with the way the Huskers played defense last year some of these game should be closer than expected. You have to give Nebraska credit for the VA Tech game. VA Tech has been in the Top-10 consistently over the past decade. That game is certainly a great OOC game. The pass-happy Aggies from NMSU have a legitimate shot at an upset here if the Blackshirts don’t turn it around. Any other year, for Nebraska, Western Michigan and (Do you know your way to) San Jose State would be considered patsies, but Nebraska can’t take any team for granted anymore. Grade: B- (that is all VA Tech)

Oklahoma State – Washington State, Houston, Missouri State, Troy. I must say that this is a reasonable attempt at a challenging OOC schedule. It is not very top heavy with the Cougars of Wash U at the top of the heap, but Houston and Troy are solid teams that will put up a fight. They will run out of gas by the 4th quarter, but they will put up a good fight. Troy may even threaten in the 4th. Not outstanding, but not too bad. Grade: C+

Texas – Florida Atlantic, UTEP, Arkansas, Rice. Texas likes to keep their OOC games close to home with UTEP and Rice. Both of which are bad teams, very bad. When this game was scheduled, I am sure that Florida Atlantic was considered just as bad as UTEP or Rice, but what a difference a few years makes. FAU is not a bad team. Not real good, but not bad. Arkansas is an old SWC rivalry we all miss. This year without McFadden, Texas should be able to handle the Razorbacks easily. I am sure Arkansas will be up for this one. Grade: C (only because FAU has turned it around)

Texas A&M – Arkansas State, New Mexico, Miami, Army. Like Nebraska, there is only one team on this schedule that is of any worth competing with a BCS conference school. New Mexico did shut out Nevada in a bowl that was created just for them last year. Arkansas State is a patsy. Army is a mismatch, but there is Miami. They are talent-laden and needing to make a comeback in a big way. Grade: C- (that is all Miami’s potential)

Missouri – Illinois, Southeast Missouri State, Nevada, Buffalo. Mizzou has scheduled a monster by accident with Illinois. How great was that game last year!?! Nevada is improving, but they still can’t hang with the big boys. SM St and Buffalo are patsies (sorry Turner). Missouri is set up really nice to repeat as the Big 12 North Champs, but it has nothing to do with their OOC scheduling. Grade: D (that is all Illinois)

Iowa State – South Dakota State, Kent State, Iowa, UNLV. Iowa State has not had much of a team for quite a while now. I don’t really blame them for going so soft, but it is disappointing when they can’t even beat the patsies on their schedule. South Dakota State should lose, but nothing is for sure. Iowa should win, but the Hawkeyes are having problems with the law in Iowa City. UNLV and Kent State have legitamate shots at getting a win over a BCS conference opponent here with ISU. ISU did come on strong at the end of last season, but there is no indication that they will carry that momentum into this year. Grade: D

Kansas – Florida International, Louisiana Tech, South Florida, Sam Houston State. Kansas tried really hard not to schedule any real tests OOC, but they got unlucky with South Florida. I guess 3-4 isn’t too bad. I will all but guarantee you that when South Florida was added to the schedule, they had never been ranked #2 in the country. Neither was Kansas. They both had spectacular years last year and I will be looking forward to this game. La Tech can score a bit, but they are still a patsy along with Sam Houston State and FIU. FIU is the only Florida team to get a bad rap from me. Grade: D- (dumb luck getting South Florida on the OOC schedule.)

Kansas State – North Texas, Montana State, Louisville, Louisiana-Lafayette. Louisville without Brian Brohm is no good at all. They proved that last year’s pre-season hype was just that. All these teams are patsies this year. K-State should change their mascot from the Wildcats to the Scaredycats. North Texas is ok sometimes. With the way Louisville played defense last year, KSU has a legit shot to get an OOC win over a BCS opponent. Grade: F

Texas Tech – Eastern Washington, Nevada, Southern Methodist, Massachusetts. Congratulations! We have a winner! The Red Raiders have managed to win the patsy lottery in their OOC scheduling. They were the only team to manage to avoid another BCS conference team and not get unlucky enough to get a team that has any potential at having a good season. The best team, by far, is Nevada. PEA-YOU!! This is very disappointing because they will have a great season and contend for the Big 12 this year. They will have to defend a constant onslaught of criticism over their OOC schedule. It serves them right. I am acutally getting physically ill looking at their OOC schedule. I'm going to go barf now. Grade: F