Schoolboys punished with detention for refusing to kneel in class and pray to Allah

LINK

Schoolboys punished with detention for refusing to kneel in class and pray to Allah

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 11:30 AM on 04th July 2008

Two schoolboys were given detention after refusing to kneel down and 'pray to Allah' during a religious education lesson.

Parents were outraged that the two boys from year seven (11 to 12-year-olds) were punished for not wanting to take part in the practical demonstration of how Allah is worshipped.

They said forcing their children to take part in the exercise at Alsager High School, near Stoke-on-Trent - which included wearing Muslim headgear - was a breach of their human rights.

Alsager School

Alsager School, near Stoke, has received furious complaints from parents after two Year 7 boys were punished for refusing to kneel to Allah during a religious studies class

One parent, Sharon Luinen, said: "This isn't right, it's taking things too far.

"I understand that they have to learn about other religions. I can live with that but it is taking it a step too far to be punished because they wouldn't join in Muslim prayer.

"Making them pray to Allah, who isn't who they worship, is wrong and what got me is that they were told they were being disrespectful.

"I don't want this to look as if I have a problem with the school because I am generally very happy with it."

Another parent Karen Williams said: "I am absolutely furious my daughter was made to take part in it and I don't find it acceptable.

"I haven't got a problem with them teaching my child other religions and a small amount of information doesn't do any harm.

"But not only did they have to pray, the teacher had gone into the class and made them watch a short film and then said 'we are now going out to pray to Allah'.

"Then two boys got detention and all the other children missed their refreshment break because of the teacher.

"Not only was it forced upon them, my daughter was told off for not doing it right.

"They'd never done it before and they were supposed to do it in another language."

"My child has been forced to pray to Allah in a school lesson." The grandfather of one of the pupils in the class said: "It's absolutely disgusting, there's no other way of putting it.

"My daughter and a lot of other mothers are furious about their children being made to kneel on the floor and pray to Islam. If they didn't do it they were given detention.

"I am not racist, I've been friendly with an Indian for 30 years. I've also been to a Muslim wedding where it was explained to me that alcohol would not be served and I respected that.

"But if Muslims were asked to go to church on Sunday and take Holy Communion there would be war."

Parents said that their children were made to bend down on their knees on prayer mats which the RE teacher had got out of her cupboard and they were also told to wear Islamic headgear during the lesson on Tuesday afternoon.

Deputy headmaster Keith Plant said: "It's difficult to know at the moment whether this was part of the curriculum or not. I am not an RE teacher, I am an English teacher.

"At the moment it is our enterprise week and many of our members of staff are away.

"The particular member of staff you need to speak to isn't around. I think that it is a shame that so many parents have got in touch with the Press before coming to me.

"I have spoken to the teacher and she has articulately given me her version of events, but that is all I can give you at the moment."

A statement from Cheshire County Council on behalf of the school read: "The headteacher David Black contacted this authority immediately complaints were received.

"Enquiries are being made into the circumstances as a matter of urgency and all parents will be informed accordingly.

"Educating children in the beliefs of different faith is part of the diversity curriculum on the basis that knowledge is essential to understanding.

"We accept that such teaching is to be conducted with some sense of sensitivity."

must be a different country because that would be against the seperation of church and state thing in the US

It's the UK, but "separation of church and state" only means so much. Kids in US school still pledge allegiance to one nation under God. There's raging debates over posting the 10 Commandments in public schools. Presidents and such are sworn in on the Bible. You swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God, in court (what does that mean to a nonreligious person anyways?) It's not as extreme, and it's a different religion, but it's also not separation. Christianity is prevalent in America's government institutions.

(Please note I'm not making an indictment on Christianity; only noting that I don't see a very real separation.)

But good for those two kids! Stand up and fight for your rights, and don't ever let authority, no matter what "punishment" they throw at you, successfully beat that fight out of you. For shame...there's no excuse for this.

the funny difference I see between the UK and the US are the comments from the parents. In the above article the parents were all saying "I don't mind them being taught about other religions...but being forced to pray when they don't want to is unacceptable"

In the US parents would be saying "how dare they teach about any other religion besides Christianity!!!"

the funny difference I see between the UK and the US are the comments from the parents. In the above article the parents were all saying "I don't mind them being taught about other religions...but being forced to pray when they don't want to is unacceptable"

In the US parents would be saying "how dare they teach about any other religion besides Christianity!!!"

I think most parents would rather not have any religion taught in school, unless it is a theology based class with their knowledge. How about teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic, instead of social engineering.

I would've loved to take a theology type class as an elective..

Maybe "loved" is a strong word for it..But it's probably more benneficial to understand the beliefs of others so you can properly make fun of them as opposed to taking yet another Engrish class when you should already be pretty fluent in it.

I took a World Religion class in college for a humanities req. and enjoyed it except for when they brought in the Satanist. scary

We had speakers from Native American, Hindu, Buddhism, Jehovah's Witness, LDS, Muslim, Christian, Scientology give lectures and most were very enlightening.

Of course, it's different teaching grade schoolers about religion vs. college age people.

Wow, people trying to work religion into schools...shocking. :sarcasm Is it any different for non-christian kids to be forced to hold their hand over their hearts and say the Pledge of Allegiance (one nation under god)?

musta been cali us freakin' liberals
You are joking right?

Wow, people trying to work religion into schools...shocking. :sarcasm Is it any different for non-christian kids to be forced to hold their hand over their hearts and say the Pledge of Allegiance (one nation under god)?

You are joking right?

I don't know where you went to school, but anyone who couldn't say the Pledge of Allegiance because of religious reasons was not required to do so. I live in a community where there is a small congregation of Jehovah's Witness students that went to my school, and they didn't say the Pledge of Allegiance or attend Christmas pageants. Nobody thought none the less of them, and they weren't penalized for it. It was against their religion and it was respected.

By the way, public tax money is being used at the University of Michigan to install foot baths for Muslim students for daily prayers. Separate workout schedules for public use facilities on Ivy League campuses are being enforced for Muslim women, because it is against their religion to be seen in public without their traditional garb. Taxpayers are funding a Muslim 'charter school' in Minnesota and most probably know nothing about it. LINK

I find it amazing that the same secularists scream 'separation' if a Christian symbol is displayed on public grounds, but in the interest of tolerance, the same does not apply to others. Then again, the loudest voices for tolerance are the usually the most intolerant.

You are joking right?

I don't know where you went to school, but anyone who couldn't say the Pledge of Allegiance because of religious reasons was not required to do so. I live in a community where there is a small congregation of Jehovah's Witness students that went to my school, and they didn't say the Pledge of Allegiance or attend Christmas pageants. Nobody thought none the less of them, and they weren't penalized for it. It was against their religion and it was respected.

By the way, public tax money is being used at the University of Michigan to install foot baths for Muslim students for daily prayers. Separate workout schedules for public use facilities on Ivy League campuses are being enforced for Muslim women, because it is against their religion to be seen in public without their traditional garb. Taxpayers are funding a Muslim 'charter school' in Minnesota and most probably know nothing about it. LINK

I find it amazing that the same secularists scream 'separation' if a Christian symbol is displayed on public grounds, but in the interest of tolerance, the same does not apply to others. Then again, the loudest voices for tolerance are the usually the most intolerant.

I know that the "Pledge" is not forced everywhere, but it is definately forced in many places. Here are a few examples. One was forced to stop making the kids say it, but they tried.....

Forced to say pledge #1

HOLY $HIT!!!!!

Virginia Law requiring it: a debate

Florida students forced

Illinios Govenor requires pledge

I am as much against the foot bathes as I am about having any religion in public schools. Keep Buddha, Jehova, Zues, Ala, Jesus, and the rest at the dinner table and in the houses of worship where they belong. Actually, keep them in the "Outdated Concept" section at the library.

I agree that in the USA, most church/state debates and arguments are over Christian symbols and practices. I believe this is the case because of the large population of Christian faithful here (compared to other religions). More confrontation is bound to happen. Secularists adhere to non-admittance of any and all religious/spiritual subject matter (if they do not, than they are not secularists). Only a crazy P.C. driven moron would argue in favor of church and state, only to contradict themselves by excluding one religion.