In-state division 1 talent

Here's a list of the in-staters to sign with other D-1 schools. Curious if anyone knows much about these kids -- seen them play? Would any have made the pre-WCO NU squad.. or possibly walked-on?

Six more Nebraska schoolboys signed with Division I schools: Millard North's Jake Behrens with Colorado, Omaha Central's Nate Prater and Silver Lake's Derek Meyer with Kansas State, Omaha Westside's Josh Leuck with Ohio University, York's Danny Dutmer with Wyoming and Lincoln Southeast's Tyler Peterson with Wake Forest.

Behrens and Leuck were the only ones of the six to make the All-Nebraska first team.

Was this really just a down year for in-state talent, or do you guys see it becoming the trend for only 2-3 Neb kids getting schollies from the "WCO Era" NU?

I think it was a down year. I also think when more schools in Nebraska switch from running offenses to more balanced offenses we will see more kids. There are just so many schools that are all about the run. I don't think this is a bad thing but with the WCO NU just isn't looking for those kids. The Big Red will always get the top kids in state though no matter what.

NU needs to recruit kids that will fit the new system rather than worry about in-state athletes. Polishing this new system here is gonna take recruits that have experience with and will be able to learn the system fairly easy. The quicker they learn the system the quicker they offense will be running smooth enough to win some games.

I think Behrens probably would have been a Husker if Nebraska didn't run the WCO. Meyer isn't listed on K-State's commitment list(is he a walk on?). I thought Josh Leuck would have been offered a scholarship. Callahan wanted him to walk on, but ya can't blame him for going elsewhere for a D-1 free ride. Back in 1983, Tom Osborne wanted my brother in law's brother to come to Nebraska as a walk-on tight end out of Omaha Northwest. He declined and took a full ride to play for UNO. 4 years later, he is a division 2 all american and the most prolific tight end in the history of the school. That April he got drafted in the NFL before any of Osborne's players did. So who knows, a player or two always goes through the cracks.

I don't think the lack of D-1 recruits from the state is indicative so much of the schemes the high schools run as it is that there simply wasn't that much D-1 level talent this year.

With the exception of Texas, Florida and California - states with hugh populations and upteen numbers of high schools - each state goes through peaks and valleys, and Nebraska went through one this year.

NU needs to recruit kids that will fit the new system rather than worry about in-state athletes. Polishing this new system here is gonna take recruits that have experience with and will be able to learn the system fairly easy. The quicker they learn the system the quicker they offense will be running smooth enough to win some games.

Exactly, we will be getting a lot of defense from the state

I bet we will get the top player in NE every year. Callahan has emphasised on a couple occasions that it is important to them. If we can get kids from OK, TX, FL and CA I would hope we can secure the #1 kid in this state every year.

It's arguable to me whether we got the best one this year. Potter is suppose to be good but I could see him turning out like mueller.

Orion Matthies was pretty high on NU's list for a while (gray shirt maybe?), and he ended up at Chadron State. Maybe that was because of injuries.

I read that he was more interested in hunting every weekend with his buddy than coming to Nebraska which was why he chose to go to Chadron. Whatever, some kids just don't care to make football that big of a part of their life.