Frank Beamer

Talking with Frank Beamer

I had the chance to talk on the phone with Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer this morning.

Obviously the Virginia Tech game on Sept. 27 is one many Nebraska fans have highlighted on their calendars.

It's tough to argue that what Beamer has done with the Virginia Tech football is one of the best coaching jobs in the country.

The 61-year-old took over a lacking program in the mid-80s. In his first two seasons, he won just five games. The last four years, Va. Tech has won at least 10 games and "Beamer ball" has become part of college football lexicon.

Best of all for Beamer, he's doing this at his alma mater. He said he's had about 30 cousins go through Virginia Tech.

"It is a special place to us, a special place to me, and then to see it develop..." Beamer said. "Back when we played Coach Osborne in the Orange Bowl (in the 1996 season), I think we've even developed since then. I know are facilities have. We've improved those and I think we're a little more solid of a football program."

Beamer said he learned a lot about his program in that Orange Bowl game, won by the Huskers 41-21. This, of course, was back when Nebraska was in the midst of winning three national titles and that incredible 60-3 strecth. (The name Jim Druckenmiller ring a bell?)

"The one thing I think it kind of showed us is what it took to be a really good football team," Beamer said. "Nebraska didn't only have a first team that was pretty good. Their second and third team was pretty good. Developing that depth, that strength in our program, that was a learning experience. That year, I think our first offense and our first defense wasn't bad but you just kind of get worn downa little bit. It kind of showed you what a real top-flight program was."

Beamer did take on two Pelini defenses last season, taking on both Bo Pelini's LSU defense (LSU won 48-7 in Baton Rouge) and Carl Pelini's Ohio defense (Va. Tech won 28-7 in Blacksburg).

About Bo Pelini, Beamer said he doesn't really know him personally "other than having great respect for wherever he's been. He's been good. I'm sure he's going to a great job with the program there. We weren't very good against his defense against LSU, I can promise you that."

More coming on Beamer and his thoughts on Va. Tech's trip to Lincoln.

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.ph...p;tb=1&pb=1

Beamer's a class act all the way...always respected him

:yeah and I don't know how the hell the guy teaches specials teams like he does. They always are good for a block or two each game. Be it on a punt or PAT..

Yea their special teams are "special". He runs a good program and is a class act.