Weight: 185 lbs.

40 time: 4.4

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Air Force, Army, Eastern Michigan

Favorites: Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star:star

Big Red Report: :star

Assessing the talent: Plays everywhere-- the slot, both outside spots and is really savvy versus zone coverage on underneath routes. Catches the ball away from frame, shows good focus and has excellent hands. Smooth changing directions and runs adequate short-to-intermediate routes. Reads defenses well and can locate a soft spot when sees zone coverage. Tough and isn't afraid to go over the middle. More here: Link

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 30%.

Nice that espn.com is catching-up and getting more prospect-appraisals in. In case you haven't seen it Zimmerer has one now too.

Pretty positive appraisal there. Still obviously a sleeper in terms of the national scene. Business might pick-up for him once the season starts.

damn, is it my imagination or are we now down to picking 1 and 2 star wide-outs?? this sucks................

Depends on your sources for talent evaluation. Of course, you could also say we are picking 2-star DE's.

I like the ESPN evaluations and grades because they actually write in-depth about the guy, picking apart his game and his abilities to back up that number they assign him. They've got Hopgood listed as a 76. For comparison, of our current commits, that would place him below Cody Green and Dtray Robinson (ESPN150 watch list), and in a tie with C.J. Zimmerer.

For more comparison, Baker Steinkuhler was an 81, Meno Holt and Niles Paul were 78's. Not that the numbers mean extraordinarily much; but it just shows that at least one reputable scouting service out there thinks he's a solid prospect.

I like the ESPN evaluations and grades because they actually write in-depth about the guy, picking apart his game and his abilities to back up that number they assign him. They've got Hopgood listed as a 76. For comparison, of our current commits, that would place him below Cody Green and Dtray Robinson (ESPN150 watch list), and in a tie with C.J. Zimmerer.

Looks OK in this (short) highlight video.

On the other hand, he was at the Scout combine so they must have not been very impressed with him. The vertical they have for him (26.5") has to be a mistake. He ran hurdles and was a long jumper. Maybe he had an injury.

Looks like he might have split time at QB last season as he only had 22 receptions. I'll try to keep my eyes open for that matchup with Moeller as that might make the regional sports channel.

Looked OK at the Nike camp apparently:

-- 2010 athlete Spencer Ware of Cincinnati Princeton also turned heads for his versatility. His teammate, Jordan Hopgood, also looked good.

"Spencer Ware from Princeton is a tremendous athlete," Farrell said. "He did reps at quarterback, throwing the ball well. Then he did some at receiver and made some great catches on long balls. I think Hopgood has a chance to be a real sleeper for somebody."

Some more:

#9 / Princeton / Jordan Hopgood/ WR / 5" 11" / 184# / Sr-2009 /**25 catches for 432 yards & 4 TD's / 36 carries for 99 yards & 2 TD's / 9 of 19 passing for 111 yards & 1 TD /***Converted QB who is quick as a cat and the Lightening to Duckworth who is the Thunder at receivers. 2008 could be a special year for the Vikings if Ware can stay healthy down the stretch run to the playoff's. 2nd team All Greater Miami Conference in 2007.

FYI Jeff Duckworth was Princeton's main receiving target in a 4 wide set and is a Wisconsin commit.

damn, is it my imagination or are we now down to picking 1 and 2 star wide-outs?? this sucks................

Probably need to pickup up 3 WRs in this class.

Looking at the Scout prospects page, the remaining uncommitted WR prospects listed for Nebraska are:

4 :star - Rex Burkhead is still interested, but might not be a WR

3 :star - Diante Jackson, Brady Brown, Abrecus Martinez are still interested. Brett Thompson and Ricky Johnson are not; and Vondrae Tostenson is ... well, who knows right now?

So without a WR commit, the offers need to start going to some other guys like Hopgood and:

2 :star - Marcus McNeal

1 :star - Morris Claiborne

I also noticed 3 :star Kendall Gregory-McGee has Nebraska listed as an interest on his Scout page, but he does not have an offer. Might be more of a TE prospect. Anyway, he camped at Nebraska so I'm guessing the coaches did not see what they were looking for at either position.

Depends on your sources for talent evaluation. Of course, you could also say we are picking 2-star DE's.

For more comparison, Baker Steinkuhler was an 81, Meno Holt and Niles Paul were 78's. Not that the numbers mean extraordinarily much; but it just shows that at least one reputable scouting service out there thinks he's a solid prospect.

But I would think that being from Cinci, it would be pretty hard to go unnoticed by the main recruiting services.

The ESPN eval was similar to guys typically given a 5.6 (mid3*) rating on rivals. So at-least somebody other than us likes him. The service academies have offered him so he probably has a good head on his shoulders. I guess we'll see what happens this season.

From what i've heard, ESPN does a pretty good job evaluating the one's they get too. Their problem is in the number of recruits they don't get to see.

The ESPN eval was similar to guys typically given a 5.6 (mid3*) rating on rivals. So at-least somebody other than us likes him. The service academies have offered him so he probably has a good head on his shoulders. I guess we'll see what happens this season.

From what i've heard, ESPN does a pretty good job evaluating the one's they get too. Their problem is in the number of recruits they don't get to see.

Ya they are still missing a fair amount of guys, I'd imagine that will get better over the season.

• 5 weeks later...

Husker Journal has an update from Prep Star:

Jordan has offers from Air Force, Nebraska, Army and Eastern Michigan

“I went to Louisville for camp and really liked it,” Hopgood said. “They are my number one school. I liked Louisville for a long time. Louisville coaches sounded like they will offer me later once they do I will commit to them.

“I like the coaches at Louisville. The whole city is behind them, there is no NFL them,” Hopgood added. “I know some people at Louisville now and my linebacker coach went to Louisville.”

I don’t hear much from Nebraska since they offered me last March,” Hopwood said. “They send me letters now and then.”

“If I don’t commit, I plan on visiting Nebraska. I like Bo Pelini he is a straight forward guy. He tells me exactly about what they want out of me.” he said

“Bo told me that the spring game had more than 60,000 fans. That’s what I like play in big crowds. Also the Big 12 conference is good.” Hopwood said

“Vanderbilt is my number two school,” Hopwood added. “The engineering college is very good. If you get in Vanderbilt (Academics) you’re set for life. I do believe I can get in there.”

“I like Vanderbilt because they run the spread offense. They like to use four wide receiver a lot. The spread is what we do here.” Hopwood said

“Ohio State didn’t offer me but I went to their camp and the Under Armour camp in Cincinnati,” Hopwood commented. “I went to the Ohio State camp trying to get more offers. The completion was good but the Under Armour camp completion was even better. There were players there more than 11 states. Under Armour also gives away free stuff.”

• 3 months later...