Zone Blocking

Has anybody read anything specific about whether or not the O Line is going to keep using Callahan's zone blocking schemes? Did Watson use zone blocking when he was in charge at Colorado?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last year the running game seemed to pretty much collapse whenever we played a defensive front 4 with a pulse. Also, with Pelini's focus on playing physical, man-on-man football on the defensive side of the ball, it makes me wonder if that attitude is carrying over to the offensive line as well. For example, defensive players have said that they are attacking the guy across from them instead of playing gaps, like Cosgrove instructed them to.

Anybody? Just curious.

Has anybody read anything specific about whether or not the O Line is going to keep using Callahan's zone blocking schemes? Did Watson use zone blocking when he was in charge at Colorado?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last year the running game seemed to pretty much collapse whenever we played a defensive front 4 with a pulse. Also, with Pelini's focus on playing physical, man-on-man football on the defensive side of the ball, it makes me wonder if that attitude is carrying over to the offensive line as well. For example, defensive players have said that they are attacking the guy across from them instead of playing gaps, like Cosgrove instructed them to.

Anybody? Just curious.

Pretty sure they will be keeping the same schemes on the offensive side of the ball. Just cutting the play book and simplifying some other things. Seems like I read something about zone blocking in particular.

Defensively I'd expect a zone (Tampa-2?) as was employed by LSU, but I guess we'll find out more as we get closer to WMU.

Anybody? Just curious.

Ah knew I'd seen it somewhere:

Tom Shatel: An insightful day with Prof. Pelini

I went with the offensive line group. Cotton is really a treat. He talked about the return of some blocking schemes and plays that Husker fans are going to love. He kept showing a play from spring ball where the center and guard were double-teaming the "three technique," or defensive tackle. The center looked off to make sure that the linebacker wasn't blitzing. If he blitzed, the center released and took him on. Cotton loved that move.

There was a comical moment when Cotton got fired up talking about zone blocking and said, "People say zone blocking isn't physical, but look at this — that's bleeping physical!" Then, noticing a woman in the group, Cotton apologized profusely for a good 10 minutes for his slip-up.

Perhaps they will add some additional blocking techniques to change things up.

And for those of you who aren't familiar with zone blocking, here is a pretty good explanation.

Now that's f'in physical!

Good read. Thanks for the link.

But no thank you for this one:

We will also use specific examples from the Nebraska-Miami 2002 Rose Bowl national championship game to show you how schemes can be exploited. Miami is a 2-back football team that has great balance between run and pass. Nebraska is a traditional 8-man front team. Their matchup in the 2002 Rose Bowl provides an excellent example of how two teams scheme against each other to try to gain an advantage in the box.

:cry

And for those of you who aren't familiar with zone blocking, here is a pretty good explanation.

Now that's f'in physical!

Good read. Thanks for the link.

But no thank you for this one:

We will also use specific examples from the Nebraska-Miami 2002 Rose Bowl national championship game to show you how schemes can be exploited. Miami is a 2-back football team that has great balance between run and pass. Nebraska is a traditional 8-man front team. Their matchup in the 2002 Rose Bowl provides an excellent example of how two teams scheme against each other to try to gain an advantage in the box.

:cry

"The example below from the 2002 Rose Bowl resulted in a 49-yard touchdown for Miami early in the game. Miami used play action, showing Nebraska the run to the tight end side. They then threw back to the split end and took advantage of Nebraska's cornerback slipping and falling. Result: touchdown."

Funny, I recall less of a slip and fall than a blatant pushoff. Or am I just :angry: misremembering?

Zone blocking was Milt Tenopirs bread and butter when he was OL coach so it shouldn't come as a suprise that will be running some zone techniques. As a former O-lineman for USD and a HS O-line coach I can't belive anybody would say zone blocking is not physical compared to lock-on techniques

Zone blocking was Milt Tenopirs bread and butter when he was OL coach so it shouldn't come as a suprise that will be running some zone techniques. As a former O-lineman for USD and a HS O-line coach I can't belive anybody would say zone blocking is not physical compared to lock-on techniques

yeah people need to remember that callahan didn't invent zone blocking, pretty much everyone uses it. Just because we are using some of the same stuff though, don't expect it to look exactly the same, because its more about the WAY that you do it, right?

yeah people need to remember that callahan didn't invent zone blocking, pretty much everyone uses it. Just because we are using some of the same stuff though, don't expect it to look exactly the same, because its more about the WAY that you do it, right?

Yea each team and coach has various technique differences. Ranging from subtle to extreme. Milt Tenopir's was pretty simple but effective. the O-lineman had two basic rules to follow. The first was Your covered or uncovered, and inside zone versus outside zone.

BC's O-lineman mold were to slow and fat to be effective zone blockers. You want quick athletic lineman with quick feet and you can even get away with smaller lineman because you are double teaming at the point of attack, hence the Broncos O-line. They are the smallest in the NFL, but also the quickest and most athletic. Historically Denver has been able to stick anybody in the back field and gain 1,000 yards on the ground.

Yea each team and coach has various technique differences. Ranging from subtle to extreme. Milt Tenopir's was pretty simple but effective. the O-lineman had two basic rules to follow. The first was Your covered or uncovered, and inside zone versus outside zone.

BC's O-lineman mold were to slow and fat to be effective zone blockers. You want quick athletic lineman with quick feet and you can even get away with smaller lineman because you are double teaming at the point of attack, hence the Broncos O-line. They are the smallest in the NFL, but also the quickest and most athletic. Historically Denver has been able to stick anybody in the back field and gain 1,000 yards on the ground.

Of course if we put Q in the backfield this is all moot. No hole? No problem.

brick%20wall_45a547f7745c2.jpg