anyone gotten this? I bought my Xbox probably about a year and a half ago. I've had no problems with it until the other day. Of course it was the day my girlfriend finally said to me "do you want to show me how to play Halo?" I was dumbfounded that she was taking an interest in it because no girlfriend of mine ever has. So I quickly ran to boot the game up on the 360 and it made it about 3 seconds into the menu video and froze. Then after I tried to turn it off/on it refused to boot up and flashed the three red rings of death at me.

I can't remember for the life of me if I registered the game when I bought it. I'd like to hope I did. Anyone gone through the repair process for this? I know Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years.

I know there's repair kits online to buy if I can't get them to fix it for me for free.

Good news and bad news for you.

Good news is that MS will replace 360s with the red rings of death, as they are a design flaw. A self repair kit generally wont cut it, as the issue usually means fried ram.

Bad news. When you contact MS(and I have heard its a bit of a pain) they will send you a box, that you will ship off your 360 in. When they get it, they will send you another(usually refurbished) 360 in replacement.

Good news and bad news for you.

Good news is that MS will replace 360s with the red rings of death, as they are a design flaw. A self repair kit generally wont cut it, as the issue usually means fried ram.

Bad news. When you contact MS(and I have heard its a bit of a pain) they will send you a box, that you will ship off your 360 in. When they get it, they will send you another(usually refurbished) 360 in replacement.

Not quite. Depending on the specific issue you will get you exact box back. I bought mine the first day they came out and have sent it in 3 times for this reason. I will agree however that calling them is somewhat of a pain. Let them know right off the bat that you're getting the red ring and they'll get started on the process. It only took about 8 days for the whole process the last time I sent it in.

If your girlfriend is wanting to learn how to play Halo, I think you'll have no trouble making her a Husker :)

that's what I was thinking!! I was taken back when she asked me to play. I had all these thoughts running through my head of teaching her everything I knew...making her my little padawan {{tear}}

:lol:

so I gotta go deal with Microsoft now, huh? Crap. Let's hope this goes smoothly and they don't ask to check for my registration or anything. I don't mind being out the Xbox for a few days just as long as it gets fixed!

Here is what happens done it twice. you call microsoft, you do some trouble shooting with and automated person. then when you get done with that and it still doesnt work you you talk to a REAL PERSON but the problem is they are Indian and you can barely understand them. then they have you do the same trouble shootings that you did with the automated person. after that they decide you are good enought to get a box that you put your xbox in and take to a UPS store. NOTE beofre you PUT IT IN THE BOX TAKE OFF THE HARD DRIVE AND YOUR FACE PLATE.Then it leaves for about a month. Then you get a new referbishised XBOX via ups. it takes 3-5 weeks.

I thought about getting a PS3....

but then remembered I like to actually buy good games to play.

:P

I had a 360 and a PS3 and played the PS3 more because of Socom and Blu Ray player :)

I thought about getting another 360 again because I gave mine away to my buddies kids for X-mas because he passed away on 12/5/07 but after you reminding me of the 3 rings of death I think that I'm better off without it.

The only game that would make me get a 360 is Gears of War 2 and Halo's first person sucked but the online was fun.

Good luck on the fix