The Nation's Best

The only reason he threw so many interceptions last year, which is one of the the faults his critics like to point out, is because the Huskers were playing catch up and Callahan had him putting the ball in the air the entire game.

EVERYBODY uses this excuse, and it's highly inaccurate. His most costly interceptions of the games he played in were when we had a very comfortable lead on CU, and his picks gave them a fighting chance.

Not to nitpick, but Joe Ganz's first pick against CU came when you were ahead 35-31 at the start of the second half. A four point lead with the entire second half to play is hardly comfortable, especially with a defense like you had last year.

The only reason he threw so many interceptions last year, which is one of the the faults his critics like to point out, is because the Huskers were playing catch up and Callahan had him putting the ball in the air the entire game.

EVERYBODY uses this excuse, and it's highly inaccurate. His most costly interceptions of the games he played in were when we had a very comfortable lead on CU, and his picks gave them a fighting chance.

Not to nitpick, but Joe Ganz's first pick against CU came when you were ahead 35-31 at the start of the second half. A four point lead with the entire second half to play is hardly comfortable, especially with a defense like you had last year.

Wrong. We were up 35-24. Then, first nebraska drive of the second half, on third and long, Ganz throws a pick six, which THEN makes the score 35-31, like you said. Next drive, next Nebraska play in fact, he throws another one. Led to another score, and Colorado didn't look back.

Edit: And sure, an 11 point lead still isn't all that much, but it was that in addition to the fact that the second half completely belonged to Nebraska and we were rolling on Colorado before that second half.

Wrong. We were up 35-24. Then, first nebraska drive of the second half, on third and long, Ganz throws a pick six, which THEN makes the score 35-31, like you said. Next drive, next Nebraska play in fact, he throws another one. Led to another score, and Colorado didn't look back.

Edit: And sure, an 11 point lead still isn't all that much, but it was that in addition to the fact that the second half completely belonged to Nebraska and we were rolling on Colorado before that second half.

I stand corrected, but it doesn't change my point much. And since you didn't cross midfield in the second half until the fourth quarter, didn't score until there was about five minutes left to play in the game and you were down 58-35, and since we scored 34 straight points on you in the second half, I'm wondering how you "owned the second half?" Or maybe you meant you owned the second half until the interceptions?

On a slightly more relevant note, I think Joe Ganz is a pretty good quarterback; if you should be worried about your offense its because of your line. Bo Pellini will get you guys turned around but straightening up the mess left by Callahan is going to be quite a job. Have a great season(until thanksgiving of course).

You're right, but that just brings me back to the point of why the hell were we throwing the ball all over the place to begin with? A team can't throw the ball 70% of the time, which we did @ Kansas & Colorado, and expect the defense to not be keying on the pass.

You provided a nice example of two picks thrown with a lead, but what about the other 4 picks he threw at Kansas, when we were playing catch up. If we had run the ball and not had to play catch up, would it be a safe assumption to say that none of those picks would've happened? I think that some of the picks he gets trashed for, were not entirely his fault. Yes, he threw the picks but was he put in a position to make a play? I don't think so.

It seems to me like you want to blame Ganz for the incompetence of the former staff and the lacksidasical actions and attitude the defense displayed that caused the team to play the way they did. Yes, the jury is still out on whether Joe is able to strap it up and play an entire season the way he finished up last year, but I have confidence that with a better defense and a coach that actually understands the importance of a balanced offense Joe and the Huskers will be just fine!! GBR!!

Herbstreit was having a bogasm and only mentioned one of our players which was Ganz. He never mentioned Lucky as one of the top 5 running backs, it was all about his ex teammate Bo Pelini. I'm glad too see Herbstreit give Nebraska some credit but he only did that because of it being Bo Pelini.

Don't get me wrong I think that Pelini will turn this program around quicker than what we are expecting and having Nebraska as a sleeper in the Big 12, I think Herbstreit was just saying what he said because of it being his ex teammate.

Here is the drive chart from that game. Note the two 5 yard penalties just before the INT. Took a 3rd-2 to 3rd-12 from the Nebraska 9. Old Callahan was always going for it. Considering the game situation, a QB draw should have been the call. However no excuses for the next interception on 1st-10 from the Nebraska 36.