Western Michigan - Know your opponent

admo

Western Michigan University's 'Goldshirts' respectfully eye Huskers

by Graham Couch | Kalamazoo Gazette

Saturday August 23, 2008, 11:15 PM

KALAMAZOO -- A little less brash and a bit brighter, in every sense of the word.

Goldshirts

Western Michigan University's first-team defense, humbled by the mistake of arrogance in 2007, isn't making any predictions as it begins game-week preparation today for Saturday's season opener at Nebraska.

A year ago at this time, as the Broncos braced for highly ranked West Virginia, their vaunted defense took a bring-it-on approach.

The Mountaineers did -- for 62 points (against 24 for WMU).

"I learned basically just to keep my mouth shut," senior free safety Louis Delmas said.

"It humbled us quick," added defensive end Zach Davidson, who, like most of this year's defense, is also a senior. "When you lose like that, you really can't say anything."

Twelve months later, WMU's first-team defense has a new look to go with its maturity: Gold practice jerseys.

The "Goldshirts" are a take-off from the legendary "Blackshirts" given to the first-string defense at Nebraska -- both in practice garb and nickname -- since the 1960s. Broncos head coach Bill Cubit decided to implement the idea as a way to boost the swagger of a group that took a blow to its ego last season.

"I think it gives some confidence to any one of those guys who have that gold shirt on," said first-year defensive coordinator Steve Morrison, a respected defensive position coach the last three seasons. " ... Whether a guy's been a starter or a player here for three years, the guy behind him is saying, 'Hey, I want to beat that guy out.' Maybe (wearing the gold jersey) is that extra thing, 'Hey, I belong to something.'"

The first-unit defenders admit feeling an aura about themselves. They stick out at practices and, when all 11 take the field together, there's a strut that accompanies them.

"Us having the gold jerseys does mean something," Delmas said. " ... That showed that this is basically the group that's got to take control of our defense and we've got to be the group that's the bigger brothers to the rest of the younger guys. And we just take pride in that."

"Even though last year we had a rough season, we came back in the spring and worked extremely hard," senior strong safety C.J. Wilson said. " ... The coaches felt we were the group that was going to take us there."

What's made them more imposing -- seemingly invincible -- is that not a single one of them has fallen to injury. When the first-team defense jogged off the turf at Waldo Stadium at the end of a stellar defensive fall camp Friday morning, there were 11 "Goldshirts" still standing among them.

"You look at it, they're all older, all more mature, they all understand the practice schemes," said Cubit of a defense that took 10 games to buy into former defensive coordinator Bill Miller's system last season, but is operating a similar defense under Morrison. "They know. It's usually the younger guys that get banged around a little. Be smart. If you see something that's a little screwy, run away from it. Like Louis, Louis could have probably laid out 15 guys during fall camp, but he's got enough common sense to just run by it."

In six days, that changes. Then the question will be answered: Is this "wiser group," as Wilson put it, finally worth the billing that perhaps came a year too soon?

"Basically, you've got to prepare better," Wilson said. "It might be the little things that the coaches are saying and the players, we're like, 'Mmm, whatever.' As this group gets older, we know now that it's the little things that can get us beat in a game."

"I think last year taught us a number of great lessons," said Morrison, who coached the linebackers in 2006 and '07. "In a lot of ways, we were overconfident a year ago. And at anytime, I think you've got to say, 'We've got to go out and give our best effort.' And we didn't do that a year ago. I think we learned a great lesson from that. We're a confident group, but certainly not one that's going to take something for granted. You can't go out there and just expect things to happen, you've got to go make them happen."

Actually, the point I was trying to get across is that they had extremely high hopes going into last year & the wheels fell off. They have all their starters back. They are re-establishing their confidence because they didnt play up to their potential. They want to prove they are a good defense this year.

I'm okay with the Goldshirts gesture. It's out of respect.

I really think it is going to be difficult against them, and a great challenge to look forward to.

Actually, the point I was trying to get across is that they had extremely high hopes going into last year & the wheels fell off. They have all their starters back. They are re-establishing their confidence because they didnt play up to their potential. They want to prove they are a good defense this year.

I'm okay with the Goldshirts gesture. It's out of respect.

I really think it is going to be difficult against them, and a great challenge to look forward to.

:yeah