Nine Year Old Pitcher Told He's Too Good.

MUTigerFan

And we wonder why our country is a bunch of pansy asses. This is absolutely ridiculous and pisses me off!! How is a league able to pull this when it seems to me that everyone is in agreement that competition is the greatest source for bringing out the best in people. With equal playing time rules and trophy's for all participants, this type of pandering to the whiners and losers has got to end. I'm almost to the point of forming an "Parents for Competitive Athletics Association" and sanctioning boycotts of leagues, their sponsors, and anyone else involved who allows this type of travesty to happen.

Not only does this type of action punish those who excel, but it limits the increase in overall ability and breeds an entitlement system for those who don't deserve a reward. Why should Joe Schmo, who strikes out every time, can't catch or throw be entitled to the same amount of playing time as a player who can perform. This type of thinking is detrimental to the development of the players and also creates tension between those that can perform and those who can't. The idiocy that some some people actually feel that this is good for society just baffles me and is really starting to piss me off. If anyone else agrees, please let me know, because something has to be done!!!

Thanks for letting me rant!!

Exactly!!! I'm glad my parents had the sense to throw me into "competitive" leagues also.

The life lessons learned and athletic development that takes place during competition can't be substituted by anything resembling the kind of programs some of these parents would like install around the country. Seriously, what parent in their right mind thinks it's OK for their kids to grow up thinking you don't have to strive for anything, everyone's a winner and deserves awards, and then being told everythings ok when it definitely isn't? Kids need to learn early that life isn't a cakewalk and competition helps to ensure they learn to work hard, become better, don't take anything for granted, and that people who do strive for excellence and make sacrifices are rewarded for their actions.

Yes, some kids have more athletic ability than others, but luckily, the not so fortunate can always compensate for what they lack by working hard, learning the rules, and finding better and more efficient ways to play a game. History is abound with athletes who excelled that weren't the most athletic, but through hard work, dedication and perseverence were able to compete and many times beat the best.

Nebraska football, and the walk-on program in particular, is an excellent example of those who strive to work harder and many times outplay those with certain god-given talents. These athletes are rewarded with scholarships, NFL contracts, and for many just the experience of wearing the Big Red uniform and being able to say they played ball at Nebraska is sufficient. Where would these guys be if early in life somebody told them that it's OK to be average, handed them a jersey, and welcomed them undeservedly to the team?

Lessons learned in competition aren't just for the thrill of sport and parents need to be made aware of this. Life is filled with many obstacles and competition helps to build the character, morale, discipline, and thought for overcoming them. Many people also have more money than others, but that doesn't mean we should steal from the rich so we all can share the wealth. How is that fair? Life isn't always fair and the younger an individual learns that, the better. Competition is one of the greatest equalizers of the human race, whether in the market or in athletics. By taking the competitive edge away from one to ensure that all succeed, we not only fail ourselves and our children but we also fail those who are striving to be the best.

My innitial reaction when I 1st heard about this story was very similar to the posts here.

But in order to understand the opposing viewpoint, I'm going to try to play Devil's advocate...

I would be a little afraid to have my 45 lb. 7yr old go from his 1st season of T-ball last year to facing a 40+mph live pitch.

Judging by the article, there almost appears to be other reasons for wanting Jericho Scott out of the lineup (Defending Champion worrying about repeating.."he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators."), but I would imagine, the "trigger" that makes it OK for them to ban him in their minds is the safety factor...Kids that age don't always have the greatest reflexes..( I got a partially detached retina at that age while playing catcher for the 1st time and just freezing while I watched the 3rd baseman throw the ball at me for a play at the plate.

If Jericho's parents are concerned about his continued development, they should really consider getting him into a more competitive league or letting him play with older kids...Kind of like the Doogie Howsers of the world being allowed to go to college at 12.

I was that 9 year old who never got to play until the last inning, and had to overhear my own teammates wishing out loud that I would stop showing up or that my parents would stop making me go out for baseball every year only to strikeout every at bat to end the game and lose for our side every afternoon.

To this day, I can't even stand to watch a baseball game..Too many bad memories..And may be why I love Football so much..(It was the only sport other than dodge-ball that I was any good at even if I was a late bloomer).

I do worry sometimes about all the "automatic" trophies that my Son gets for Soccer, Baseball, flag Football...But so far..He really does enjoy all of these sports even though most of the time..He seems to be more interested in chasing butterflies in the field..

Before I became a Father, I always planned on if I ever did have Children, I'd make a "Super Athlete" out of them and work with them like I wished someone had worked with me..And I don't know if it's because I Married a Woman that's constantly afraid of injury, or that my own feeling of invincibility is non-transferable or worse..fading..But I do fear for my Son's safety sometimes..He's the greatest person I've ever known, and seems to "get it" that life is ultimately a competition...

There probably is no "right way" to teach everybody this..Some kids respond only to fear of failure and intimidation..Others do better with reasoning...I think WE as parents can still overcome the negative effects of "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.

Jericho Scott

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

I see what you both are saying, but from reading the article it doesn't sound as if the other kids are afraid for their safety. What, a lawyer for the league says they are, so we believe him? In reality, a 40 mph fastball is not really that hard and while yes, it may cause some damage there are plenty of other hazards that also come with playing sports. The "safety" ploy seems to be an excuse for the defending champs to regain advantage after being turned down on their offer for him to join their team, and this whole idea that he shouldn't be allowed to pitch anymore is just flat out wrong.

Yes, the easy solution would be for him to join an older or more competitive league, but where do you draw the line? First we nix kids who throw too hard, next are guys who hit too hard and guys who run too fast, when does it end? Life is a competition and athletics is the best training!!

While the following quote from Benjamin Franklin has more to do with the political establishment and the political environment, I think that it many ways reflects what is going on in this case and should be given some serious thought.

Ben says, "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety. "

In tying this to the current topic I think that if the league, parents, and players give up any competitive aspect of the game in order to protect the so-called "safety" of the players, they will indeed lose the total value of competition and in the end have no need to protect safety. Maybe I'm way off base here, but I just get so riled up about these types of things and have to vent. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...