NU takes first step in healing

The two men in red shirts stood barely a yard apart.

Brendan Stai, right guard on one of the program's most esteemed teams, the 1994 national champions.

Corey McKeon, middle linebacker for the bunch that embarrassed all who'd worn the uniform, a 2007 team that lost seven games.

For much of Saturday's first half, they watched from the Nebraska sideline on opposite sides of the 15-yard line. Stai had three of his buddies to his right. McKeon had three of his buddies to his left.

Not once did Stai and McKeon cross the line. Not once did the two packs make eye contact or say a word to each other.

Rest here, http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10420712

I just don't think there is anything good that can come from bad-mouthing past NU team members and past NU coaching staffs. The truth is obvious without having to put people down.

Why not just talk about what has to improve now and/or emphasize the positive things from the 2008 team & staff?

you cannot expect a team with one of the worst defenses last year..become great in one year...takes time...as long as the wins come,,that is what matters,,,,,,,i sort of expect nu to loose a few games...it would be real success if there would be no blow-outs that nu encounted last year...but you got to give bo time....4 years.

Its bad form to knock former players, its everything we hated callahan for. Even though they have the records you typically wouldnt want they were still huskers and put their heart and soles into this program.

The players can only play to the level they were coached and we all agree they werent coached very well, but I applaud the guys from last year showing up cheering their former teammates. Imagine how alot of the seniors from last year feel knowing that they arent getting second chances to redeem themselves that all the other guys are getting.

We cant hold last year over their heads, we need to make sure the door is open and we let them back in and enjoy the future.

I thought this article was lame. :madash

"Let's treat the guys that played for Callahan :ahhhhhhhh (even though he was recruited by Solich) as outcasts." :bang I really think this whole point of view is really elitist and pretty much the pot and the kettle. IMO :moreinteresting

Totally disagree.

McKeon could deserve the benefit of the doubt but he did go to the game, and, according to the article, seem demure that NU was doing well if not better than under his watch, then proclaim he was "done" to the media afterwards. If he's "done" then why is he at the game other to attarct attention. Sorry, but he is the poster boy for everything that went wrong with the Callahan era on the player's side. If he doesn't want the attention, don't show up at 14th and Stadium.

^ Really? It sounded like McKeon was celebrating with his pals after an NU touchdown. The rest ("demure" and all that) sounds like unfounded extrapolation (unless I've missed something). And why should he be interested in talking to a media that has been absolutely brutal to him and his teammates?

Maybe, just maybe, he showed up because this is the university where he played four years of football, and because he *wants* to.

dedhoarse I blame BC totally for what transpired the last 4 years. Yeah, I didn't approve of some of what McKeon did last year in the midst of one of the worst years we have recently had or some of the antics of some other players for that matter, but in the big picture, it was all BC's fault, he didn't take control of the players off the field and they got away with doing stuff that was an embarrassment to the team and themselves...it was simply a matter of displaying bad judgment.