Just how do they decide

HUSKER 37

Quess I was spoiled in the '90's ...Even living in the Desert SW, I still gots to see my Huskers on TV ~half the time.

This season, I haven't seen one Husker game yet, but at least 3 maybe 4 East Carolina games (And here I thought there was only North Carolina and South Carolina) <_<

What gives? ...Recruiting to the Tundra is hard enough w/o the tube coverage. chuckleshuffle

I'd imagine a lot is tied into rankings but you'd think these decisions would be made up a little in advance..Who'd forsee a bunch of Piarrrates being any good a year or two ago?

Most of the time games are decided 13 days in advance. There are a limited number of weeks where the networks (ABC/ESPN may have the call on this) opt to defer until 6 days in advance. There is a pecking order, where ABC/ESPN gets first (and maybe second) choice, then Fox Sports, etc. I don't remember the whole order this year for the Big 12. This is how they are able to choose the better games and why you tend to see more of hot teams like ECU (was). The TV networks have the decision on which games they show, and thus they set our game times. I suppose it may be possible for an AD to say, no, we won't play a night game late in the year but maybe all they can do is request that and hope the networks honor it. There may be a bit more to it, but that's basically it.

Because NU wasn't ranked and play nobodies, our games fell to PPV. We should be on a lot more from here on out, though you probably need to have Fox Sports MW or SW to get some of them.

Some games are set well in advance, like the NU-CU game the day after turkey. Notre Dame has their contract with NBC for all home games.

Quess I was spoiled in the '90's ...Even living in the Desert SW, I still gots to see my Huskers on TV ~half the time.

This season, I haven't seen one Husker game yet, but at least 3 maybe 4 East Carolina games (And here I thought there was only North Carolina and South Carolina) <_<

What gives? ...Recruiting to the Tundra is hard enough w/o the tube coverage. chuckleshuffle

I'd imagine a lot is tied into rankings but you'd think these decisions would be made up a little in advance..Who'd forsee a bunch of Piarrrates being any good a year or two ago?

All you had to do is buy the first 3 games on PPV for $29.99

A bit of a trick if you don't live in Nebraska and don't have satellite.

Cable tv has PPV also.

ABC gets first pick on all non-SEC games. CBS has the SEC contract and the Notre Dame Broadcasting Network(NBC). Most of the time ABC picks 13 days in advance, but they have a number of times where they can invoke a 6 day window. ESPN gets the next pick. Then FSN, and VS gets a handful of games a year also.

They pick on what they think can make them the most money. Which is why FSN passed on out first 3 games, and made a PPV offer. They made more money off the PPV because of the excitement around the start of the season for the Huskers. The PPV also made NU more money than an FSN game would have.

Cable tv has PPV also.

Yeah, but if you don't live in an area close to either teams, cable companies wont carry it. I live in Vegas but my cable company would laugh at me if I asked if they had it....Satellite is the only game in town...and forget about ESPN gamePlan...that sucks.

That's all?

I've been selling plasma to help pay for Gasoline for the daily 70mile commute to work.

Suddenly paying my ex $450/month to keep my Son from seeing me 14 days at a time.

Now paying the whole mortgage and trying to figure out a way to pay off my ex her share of our equity (Another $280/mo..Or do I just sell? in this market, the house seems to be depriciating on a daily basis and renting an apartment is more expensive than the mortgage).

Had to turn down Medical insurance through work last week to save me ~$300/mo and am thinking about getting rid of my Phone/land line which I'd need to order PPV through my dish.

Not to complain..Most people have it way worse..At least I don't have any rolling Credit Card debt and I have some retirement/investments..But that $29.99 just payed for another two weeks worth of groceries.

Like I said..I was spoiled in the '90's with free Broadcasts of Husker games.

ESPN uses a point system that goes something like this (team with most points get more tv time):

Nebraska playing unranked team: -10

Nebraska playing ranked team: +1

Nebraska playing rivalry: +2

USC Bye week: +5 (halftime special about USC dynasty)

USC playing unranked team: +10

USC playing ranked team: +15

USC playing rivalry: +100

All other games: +3