Big Red Breakfast

np_husker

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php?ti...p;tb=1&pb=1

Breakfast with 'Wats'

Crowded room here in Omaha to listen to Shawn Watson. I'm going on five hours sleep, so excuse any lack of witty prose. That's my excuse anyway.

The offensive coordinator said he keeps hearing this opinion floating about that Virginia Tech is having a "down year."

"People, it's not. Trust me," he said. "They've gotten better and better every game.

"(People) say they might be a little conservative on offense but they don’t beat themselves. That’s why they win football games.”

He expects Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster, a longtime friend of his, to put seven or eight guys in the box and challenge NU's run game. "We have a really good plan for them,” Watson said, noting the help of the bye week. “When you have that much time, guys really get locked in for the plan. We’ve been able to add some creativity to it and some spins that he hasn’t seen either."

About the backup quarterback situation: "Zac Lee is really pushing Pat (Witt) right now. Zac's finding himself ... We have a really competitive situation there."

Watson said the backups are getting "a ton of reps" in practice, three reps to every four by Joe Ganz.

About Ganz, Watson said: "Joe’s just awesome. I trust him with my life. We had such a great rapport between us.

"I think he really enjoys the things we're doing offensively, because now he’s a multi-faceted quarterback. He’s not just sitting in the pocket."

About working with Bo Pelini, Watson said: "He empowers us to do our job. He doesn’t micromanage me. He trusts me and he’s got me back. He loves what we’re doing. He knows (football)."

And about Tom Osborne lending any advice? Watson made sure to point out that it's the coaches who seek out his opinion, not Osborne seeking out the coaches.

"Coach doesn't do that," Watson said. "I go to him."

Watson said he gets the feeling people sometimes come to the idea Osborne is micromanaging just because the athletic director goes to practices.

"He’s not," Watson said. "He’s there because he loves football, he loves the game. He doesn’t say anything unless we ask."

He said NU wants to average 1.5 knockdowns a run play and that the Huskers easily surpassed that in the last game against New Mexico State, charting 115 knockdowns on rushes during that game.

Watson said the O-line is the "heart and soul" of the football team.

About Matt Slauson: "Slauson is playing the best football he's ever played."

About Lydon Murtha: "He's goofy in a good way."

Watson said the return of a senior like Murtha back was of great importance considering there are other young guys on the line who are talented but still learning, an example being sophomore Jaivorio Burkes.

"Everyone thinks Javiorio’s a done product," Watson said. "Remember he was a freshman last year and got pressed into service. He's still developing."

Asked about Andy Christensen, Watson said coaches are taking a patient approach in bringing him back.

"We’re giving Andy some time ... he’s been through a lot," Watson said, noting that coaches and teammates and players were happy to have him back. "We’re going to take care of Andy first."

The 40-second play clock has created issues, Watson said. The coach said he is in "big-time" favor of having speakers in the quarterbacks' helmets like the NFL so that coordinators can directly communicate to their players.

What do they serve at the Big Red Breakfast?

They usually have scrambled eggs, donuts, fruit, french toast, juice, ham, biscuits, and sausage. It's a pretty sweet deal. I frequent them with my dad quite often. His employer always seems to have extra tickets.