What I learned about our team

mwj98

I know everyone is reeling from the loss last nite. I damn near tackled the TV when taylor was running outside the pocket on that controversial play (late hit). But, the penalty could have gone either way. In that situation, Refs probably could have let that one go. But, like I said, either way. As for Bo getting the penalty. Hey, that's what we got when we hired him. He is emotional, has fire in his belly and wants to win....NOW! So, if he showed little restraint and cost the team, fine, I can handle that. It shows how passionate he is. I would rather have that than Callahan anytime.

I have always tried to stay realistic about this season. I knew we had a long way to go. But, I have always felt that If the effort is there, we would win 7 to 9 games. Last night, the effort was there. We may have busted some coverages, missed a couple of tackles, blown blocking assignments and looked a little confused at times. Hell, Ganz looked rattled. BUT, we had 100% effort. I am very proud of these kids. Last year, VT would have hung 70 on us because we would have quit. Heck, almost pulled this one out.

Things I learned.......

Bo knows how to coach and motivate. How many times did we see sideline shots of him coaching up his players??? Now compare that to last year's staff.

Our coaches a very emotional and it shows with our team. Plus, the team looks as if they are having fun. Who saw Helu and the crew dancing before the game??? How often did that happen last year??? Again, they are having fun.

Did anyone notice how the commentators were really talking up Nebraska tradition?? I kept hearing,"they're getting better", "better effort", "this isn't the same team as last year". They were extremely positive about our program. All I could think about was how it would impact our recruiting. We got some good publicity. One more thing, the locker room shot blew me away!! Take note recruits!!!

Nate Swift does not run a 5.0 in the 40 yard dash. I didn't see that one coming. He is a little faster than I thought. :o

Helu needs to start at RB. It just seems like Lucky is hesitant and doesn't run as hard. Helu WANTED to get into that end zone last nite. Running styles are a different big time.

Suh looks like a completely different player from last year. Hell, our defensive line looks a lot better. We still have work to do, but the effort is there. One thing that makes me nervous is our lack of depth. Injuries could really hurt us.

Gotta fix those busts in the secondary. Taylor missed some wide open folks. Daniels will connect. It could get ugly if we don't tighten up.

And last but not least, we need to fix our special teams!!! Sweet jesus!!! Kick-off coverage had me on the edge of my seat everytime. I didn't know if they were going to break a long return or block our kicks. We have got to fix that.

Otherwise, I am not going to bash anyone on the team. I feel we are headed in the right direction. I can sleep at nite at not wake up feeling my neck being slashed. Bo will get this team ready to play week end and week out. This was a good game to see where we are as a team. We will only get better.

I know everyone is reeling from the loss last nite. I damn near tackled the TV when taylor was running outside the pocket on that controversial play (late hit). But, the penalty could have gone either way. In that situation, Refs probably could have let that one go. But, like I said, either way. As for Bo getting the penalty. Hey, that's what we got when we hired him. He is emotional, has fire in his belly and wants to win....NOW! So, if he showed little restraint and cost the team, fine, I can handle that. It shows how passionate he is. I would rather have that than Callahan anytime.

I have always tried to stay realistic about this season. I knew we had a long way to go. But, I have always felt that If the effort is there, we would win 7 to 9 games. Last night, the effort was there. We may have busted some coverages, missed a couple of tackles, blown blocking assignments and looked a little confused at times. Hell, Ganz looked rattled. BUT, we had 100% effort. I am very proud of these kids. Last year, VT would have hung 70 on us because we would have quit. Heck, almost pulled this one out.

Things I learned.......

Bo knows how to coach and motivate. How many times did we see sideline shots of him coaching up his players??? Now compare that to last year's staff.

Our coaches a very emotional and it shows with our team. Plus, the team looks as if they are having fun. Who saw Helu and the crew dancing before the game??? How often did that happen last year??? Again, they are having fun.

Did anyone notice how the commentators were really talking up Nebraska tradition?? I kept hearing,"they're getting better", "better effort", "this isn't the same team as last year". They were extremely positive about our program. All I could think about was how it would impact our recruiting. We got some good publicity. One more thing, the locker room shot blew me away!! Take note recruits!!!

Nate Swift does not run a 5.0 in the 40 yard dash. I didn't see that one coming. He is a little faster than I thought. :o

Helu needs to start at RB. It just seems like Lucky is hesitant and doesn't run as hard. Helu WANTED to get into that end zone last nite. Running styles are a different big time.

Suh looks like a completely different player from last year. Hell, our defensive line looks a lot better. We still have work to do, but the effort is there. One thing that makes me nervous is our lack of depth. Injuries could really hurt us.

Gotta fix those busts in the secondary. Taylor missed some wide open folks. Daniels will connect. It could get ugly if we don't tighten up.

And last but not least, we need to fix our special teams!!! Sweet jesus!!! Kick-off coverage had me on the edge of my seat everytime. I didn't know if they were going to break a long return or block our kicks. We have got to fix that.

Otherwise, I am not going to bash anyone on the team. I feel we are headed in the right direction. I can sleep at nite at not wake up feeling my neck being slashed. Bo will get this team ready to play week end and week out. This was a good game to see where we are as a team. We will only get better.

Spot on post. I think the late hit was the proper call, but like you said - could've gone either way.

Remember, too, VT could win the ACC, and more likely than not, at least win their division.

Mostly agree, still hated the dancing, that looked foolish.

I have to agree 100% with you on that. Reminded me of last years USC game.... (and we all know how that turned out)... I told one of my buddies the minute I saw it that we were screwed.

Yes- looked ridiculous

No- had nothing to do with the game.