Will we ever

Landlord

To me the only "True Heartbreak" came from the whoop a** we took from Colorado in 01 when we were undefeated! For what we got going on now, is that a Loss is a Loss and we need to move on, things will get better. Kind of sad to be reading the last few days on how some people have given up already. This was VT, now if it was Baylor i would understand a little more. Some people need to sip on :koolaid2: and quit dedhoarse

Mizzou fan here who's well acquainted with the heartache and frustration that can come only from college football. I think our fan bases have both felt the same pain, but for very different reasons.

Mizzou's program was such a dog for so long that it was almost impossible for us to envision pulling off any kind of upset. It just wasn't meant to happen for us. And even though we're usually the favored team these days, there are still wins that we have not achieved, like a victory over OU for the Big-12 x-ship. I don't know about the players, but I know there are still a good number of Mizzou fans who are waiting for the other shoe to drop, who just can't see it happening. I prefer to say full steam ahead, damning the torpedoes along the way. That's just me though.

In contrast, I think you guys might be a little weighed down by your history. It's a glorious one, and there was a time not too long ago when the mere mention of Nebraska would send everyone in Iowa, Missouri and Kansas running for the cellars with the women and children in tow. I wonder if some of the kids you're getting are still being recruited on that basis and expecting it to carry over on the field the way it used to. Nebraska's rep used to be worth at least two touchdown's worth of psychological advantage, but that's no longer the case. Your program's at the point where they'll have to fight, scratch and gut it out like everyone else.

The line that separates healthy pride from unhealthy entitlement is a very fine one indeed. The best thing Mizzou has going for it isn't our offense. It's the belief that we still have a lot to prove, and that nothing is going to be handed to us. And even if it is, it can be taken away very quickly and fairly easily (witness USC, Georgia, Florida, etc.).

On the bright side, it did look like your boys were playing a lot harder against VT than they did for much of last year. If you're going to start with only one thing, it has to be guts, and your guys showed some Saturday nite.

It's going to be a long road, and it's going to take time, but the real fans will wait. We always do.

Sorry for the book, and may the best team win Saturday.

TrueMizzou out...

Mizzou fan here who's well acquainted with the heartache and frustration that can come only from college football. I think our fan bases have both felt the same pain, but for very different reasons.

Mizzou's program was such a dog for so long that it was almost impossible for us to envision pulling off any kind of upset. It just wasn't meant to happen for us. And even though we're usually the favored team these days, there are still wins that we have not achieved, like a victory over OU for the Big-12 x-ship. I don't know about the players, but I know there are still a good number of Mizzou fans who are waiting for the other shoe to drop, who just can't see it happening. I prefer to say full steam ahead, damning the torpedoes along the way. That's just me though.

In contrast, I think you guys might be a little weighed down by your history. It's a glorious one, and there was a time not too long ago when the mere mention of Nebraska would send everyone in Iowa, Missouri and Kansas running for the cellars with the women and children in tow. I wonder if some of the kids you're getting are still being recruited on that basis and expecting it to carry over on the field the way it used to. Nebraska's rep used to be worth at least two touchdown's worth of psychological advantage, but that's no longer the case. Your program's at the point where they'll have to fight, scratch and gut it out like everyone else.

The line that separates healthy pride from unhealthy entitlement is a very fine one indeed. The best thing Mizzou has going for it isn't our offense. It's the belief that we still have a lot to prove, and that nothing is going to be handed to us. And even if it is, it can be taken away very quickly and fairly easily (witness USC, Georgia, Florida, etc.).

On the bright side, it did look like your boys were playing a lot harder against VT than they did for much of last year. If you're going to start with only one thing, it has to be guts, and your guys showed some Saturday nite.

It's going to be a long road, and it's going to take time, but the real fans will wait. We always do.

Sorry for the book, and may the best team win Saturday.

TrueMizzou out...

nice post.......come back anytime.