Husker reputation

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10396039

Not a good couple of days for Bo Pelini. Not only did his team lose 52-17 to Missouri, but Nebraska's reputation has taken a hit nationally - again.

Web sites across the country Sunday featured Chase Daniel's accusations about a Nebraska player spitting on him.

Then Monday morning, in a blog on espn.com, columnist Tim Griffin called out Pelini:

"Baylor tackle Jason Smith and Nebraska coach Bo Pelini probably should learn something about talking smack before facing top-five teams," Griffin wrote. "Smith intimated that Baylor could upset No. 1 Oklahoma and Pelini openly talked about shutting out Missouri. So what happened? Oklahoma scored four touchdowns in the first quarter en route to a 49-17 win over Baylor. And Missouri scored within a minute to set the tone for a 52-17 victory over Nebraska that was the Cornhuskers' worst home loss defeat since 1955. Maybe Smith and Pelini will think before they speak next time around."

First, let's set the record straight. Pelini did not "talk smack", nor did he predict a shutout. His point was that Nebraska would treat Mizzou as any other opponent:

"I've never gone into a game making concessions," Pelini said last Tuesday. "I won't start this week. We're going to play the best we possibly can and try and shut them out."

But the point is, like in politics, sometimes what's true and untrue doesn't matter. Perception wins out, especially when ESPN is driving the bus. And the perception of Nebraska football around the country the past few days has been overwhelmingly negative.

In that sense, the 2008 season has started a lot like 2007 ended.

I think Coach Pelini's comments were taken out of context and spun to incite Mizzou.

It is really coming to a point where coaches can not say anything anymore without what they say coming back to bite them.

Yes, it really is.. and it is the fault of the mainstream media (and the american public when you get right down to it). Everything these days are sound-bytes and quotes and almost always out of context. What someone means to say is not important anymore.

I think Coach Pelini's comments were taken out of context and spun to incite Mizzou.

It is really coming to a point where coaches can not say anything anymore without what they say coming back to bite them.

Yes, it really is.. and it is the fault of the mainstream media (and the american public when you get right down to it). Everything these days are sound-bytes and quotes and almost always out of context. What someone means to say is not important anymore.

Yet some fans wonder why he doesn't like to talk to media.

I am still angry that this was made out to be a matter of "blatant disrespect".

Those are serious allegations to just throw at somebody. For a 20-something year old QB to come out accusing grown men of disrespecting him, I can only marvel at both Chase Daniel's arrogance and astonishing lack of critical thinking skills.

I'm angry because it makes no sense. Be smarter than this, people.

I agree. What coach in their right mind would NOT want to shutout their opponents?

I agree, all coaches have that goal.. I doubt MU cared much about those comments...

Just like NU shouldn't have worried about Daniel's comments about last year's defense being like a High School defense ... They Were.. facts are facts..

I doubt there is a NU fan anywhere who would disagree with the lack of defense shown by NU last season.. and I doubt any MU fan would disagree that coaches gameplan to "shutout" opponents..

it is what it is

Those are serious allegations to just throw at somebody. For a 20-something year old QB to come out accusing grown men of disrespecting him, I can only marvel at both Chase Daniel's arrogance and astonishing lack of critical thinking skills.

Captain.. I couldn't disagree with you more. Daniel, obviously upset by the spitting incident, took it public. Pellini needs to address this, Daniel would have no reason to make this up, you don't want these type of athletes representing your program. It may be that Pellini uses this to clean up some renegades still left over from Callahan..

Daniel is a great competitor and a great leader, he has never made any accusations of any other team in his three years as a starter.. maybe NU needs to clean up.. just my thoughts.

Captain.. I couldn't disagree with you more. Daniel, obviously upset by the spitting incident, took it public. Pellini needs to address this, Daniel would have no reason to make this up, you don't want these type of athletes representing your program. It may be that Pellini uses this to clean up some renegades still left over from Callahan..

Daniel is a great competitor and a great leader, he has never made any accusations of any other team in his three years as a starter.. maybe NU needs to clean up.. just my thoughts.

and daniel needs to shut his mouth. dirtiest team he's played?? please. it was a physical game. if anyone was "dirty" it wasnt NU. that comment was a joke. I'm sure he was upset about the spitting incident, but his comments were just as uncalled for. i'd say both sides need to clean it up

If it is true, then call out the player or his #. Personally despite the fact that Nebraska got schooled last saturday, Daniel is acting like a whiny little b!tch. You won, let it go............

C'mon guys. Even though you're Nebraska fans, and I'm a Mizzou fan, we're all midwesterners, right? We know you gotta call it like you see it...

Was it Pelini's intent to be disrespectful towards Chase ('I don't know that he's the best I've seen...') or Mizzou's offense (shutout comment)? Let's go ahead and say 'no.'

But were they wise things to say given the current status of the two programs? I don't think so. Did anything that comes even close to those notions need to be implied by a guy who's leading a team that is in desperate need of some confidence? Heck no!

The worst thing a coach can do - the absolute worst thing he can do - is make things things tougher for his team. Pelini and his staff have already done that, hurting your team in two different games. He did it with his personal foul in the VT game, he did it with his ambiguous comments last week, and his defensive coordinator did it as he giggled out loud about his super-secret defensive scheme ('We were ready by Tuesday...').

There was one time during the game that I saw Bo just totally berating one of your players. The kid was shrinking back, as if he thought Pelini was going to slug him. The capper was when Brother Pelini rolled in to get his pound of flesh too. It happened folks, I saw it.

What's wrong with this guy?! And what is his agenda? Is it about Nebraska football? Or is it about Bo?

Do you think there might be any correlation between Pelini's lack of personal discipline and the team's lack of discipline on the field? Or the spitting allegations? That has nothing to do with Callahan's tenure, or with the players he left behind.

The post-game press conference he gave was unbelievable. Literally. He came off as being totally phony to me, like a guy who knows he's screwing up and is already worrying about his job. It was a contrived performance, and you guys swallowed it all.

The ball cap that points straight up, the giant wad of gum, the plumber's sweatshirt... This guy's a joke, a caricature of a big-time coach, and everybody in the Big-12 sees it but you.

Of all the problems your program has to face, the most pressing one is the coach you have now. He's out of control.

You're all great guys, and I love reading your posts. But your inability to see this Bo-foonery amazes me. I know it sucks to think this guy might be another miss, but geez. I guess he could still end up being a great coach, but only if he changes himself first. He's just a loose cannon, a clown with a big 'N' on his chest. Great for us I suppose, but not so good for Husker Nation...

One question: Why didn't you hire Turner Gill?!

Asbestos suit now donned...

I was talking about Pelini and Ekeler's pregame comments.