2 Point Conversion

As proud as I am of the boys for battling today and even Pelini for getting them ready, I have to question his call at the end. We have had trouble stopping their offense all day and we decide to play for the tie instead of going for the win. I don't get it and that is definitely not a Pelini-esque call, IMO.

General rule of thumb is on the road at the end of the game, you go for the win. Why not decide the game ourselves rather than let TTech decide it for us? I don't get it. Our offense was moving the ball at will on the ground and in the air versus them, but we play for the tie? Watson and Pelini should have a play drawn up for that situation already on hand, but nothing.

I know alot of people are proud of a moral victory, but I'm not so keen on these things. I'm selfish and I want a win. I want to know why Pelini did not allow our guys to decide that.

I'll step down off my soap box now.

I totally agree although you know if they would have gone for it and not made it all hell would break loose.

I don't see why or how. It was likely the best call in that situation of the game.

Tech had a strong wind in their face meaning they would need to drive deep in our territory for a FG at least. They had no timeouts. Our defense had trouble stopping them all day. We had kept their defense on the field for the majority of the game. Our offense was rolling on the ground and in the air.

Honestly, I believe it was the best choice. I know hindsight is 20/20, but even at the time in the game thread I stated I thought it was the wrong choice.

No guts no glory.

As proud as I am of the boys for battling today and even Pelini for getting them ready, I have to question his call at the end. We have had trouble stopping their offense all day and we decide to play for the tie instead of going for the win. I don't get it and that is definitely not a Pelini-esque call, IMO.

General rule of thumb is on the road at the end of the game, you go for the win. Why not decide the game ourselves rather than let TTech decide it for us? I don't get it. Our offense was moving the ball at will on the ground and in the air versus them, but we play for the tie? Watson and Pelini should have a play drawn up for that situation already on hand, but nothing.

I know alot of people are proud of a moral victory, but I'm not so keen on these things. I'm selfish and I want a win. I want to know why Pelini did not allow our guys to decide that.

Says who? I would have gone for two myself because I thought we had momentum, but there's a lot of coaches that play for overtime in that situation.

Of course, if penalties had been under control... like 2 holds taking us out of field goal range at the end of the 2nd period... there wouldn't have been an overtime to debate over.

Everyone has something to learn....even Bo. TO did the same things and learned from them Bo will do the same.

TO's first year 1973, against Missouri, Kansas and Okie St. were 1 pt loss, 1 pt win and a tie, respectively

Against Missouri he went for the win, and was chastised for not going for the tie.

Two weeks later, learning his lesson, he went for the tie. And was chastised for not going for the win.

TO said from the experience, paraphrased: "From now on I am going to do what I feel is best for the team, and not read the papers"

Says who? I would have gone for two myself because I thought we had momentum, but there's a lot of coaches that play for overtime in that situation.

Of course, if penalties had been under control... like 2 holds taking us out of field goal range at the end of the 2nd period... there wouldn't have been an overtime to debate over.

Says the majority of football coaches in America. Even D'Marco Farr (former NFL defensive lineman) stated this after the game.

I would figure most have heard this thought process numerous times over the years.

Everyone has something to learn....even Bo. TO did the same things and learned from them Bo will do the same.

TO's first year 1973, against Missouri, Kansas and Okie St. were 1 pt loss, 1 pt win and a tie, respectively

Against Missouri he went for the win, and was chastised for not going for the tie.

Two weeks later, learning his lesson, he went for the tie. And was chastised for not going for the win.

TO said from the experience, paraphrased: "From now on I am going to do what I feel is best for the team, and not read the papers"

You can't compare the decisions before the overtime rule was in effect vs. now. Used to be that the decision was an almost sure tie vs. going for the win. Now the decision is whether to try to win on one play vs. trying to beat them in OT. There is no clear cut decision.

I took a quick google at the odds of making a 2 point conversion. The only thing I found quickly was this article: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...o&type=lgns, which refers (I think) to NFL stats that says an extra point is 99% while a 2 point conversion has a 44% success rate. If you think you have a 50/50 chance of winning in OT, that says you should go for 1 and go to OT.

But it's close enough that you might reconsider if you are big underdogs, like we were. It might be a lot less that 50/50 in OT. However, we were out playing TT at that point, and have a better kicker. And that kicker difference could easily have been the decider.

I think if you are the better team, it's a no-brainer to put it in OT. If the teams are even-up, still looks like better odds in OT. If you've tied it on flukes and have no business being in the game with the other team, roll the dice and go for 2. Otherwise, it's a gut feeling call. I was calling for sending it into OT but wouldn't have been upset to go for 2, even if it didn't work. We were a big underdog but I don't think we got there by flukes at all.

I wanted him to go for two, but I don't fault his decision to kick it. Our offense was having no trouble moving the ball all day, Tech has a shoddy kicking game, and our defense did play fairly well inside the red zone considering how good Techs Offense is. He made the call to put us in position to win the game at the end and he had that with the blocked PAT. A TD wins and then somehow Jamaal Lord kidnapped Ganz and stole his uniform and came back from the dead to lead us to the L. That was a joke obviously, but that was exactly the first thought that ran thru my head.

I am trying to figure out what is worse. LeKevin's fumble or Ganz's INT. Both snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...

That said...I am pleased with the schemes on O and D. The coaches put the players in position to make plays to win the game and that's all we can ask for as fans. Once we get past the STUPID mistakes and penalties, we'll be able to compete with anyone. Once again, I am sticking with my pick of us upsetting OU in Norman on Nov 1st.

GO BIG RED!!!