no redshirts to be pulled

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php?ti...p;tb=1&pb=1

Don't expect any redshirt pulling now

Halfway through the regular season, you wouldn't expect anybody's redshirt to be taken off now unless something strange happens.

But we've seen it done before, and given the injuries at linebacker, I asked Bo Pelini on Sunday morning if there was any chance Sean Fisher or Will Compton would play down the stretch this fall.

Simple answer: Nope.

Pelini said NU will be looking for a medical redshirt for Sean Fisher, who did play in the opener on special teams but got dinged up.

And as for Compton and all the others who haven't played this season?

"You know it’s six games in, we’re not going to be pulling anybody’s redshirts,” Pelini said. “That wouldn’t be fair to them.

There are certan things i dont understand about collge ball. Can someone please explain to me what a redshirt is.

A player that doesn't participate in any collegiate games for the entire season doesn't lose his year of eligibility. He can still practice with the team, look at film, lift and whatnot, but it doesn't count as his freshman year. Basically he's getting a free year to get better, then has four in front of him to dominate.

There are certan things i dont understand about collge ball. Can someone please explain to me what a redshirt is.

There are a number of theories for where the term "redshirt" actually came from, but I don't think anyone is really sure exactly how it came into use.

ANYWAY, redshirting is participating with a team as a member, but only practicing with the team and not playing in a game to preserve a year of eligibility. You often see it with Freshmen so that they can add weight and learn the system without losing a year to play. NCAA rules currently allow for one redshirt year under normal circumstances, giving players 5 seasons to play 4 seasons. You can also apply for a medical redshirt if a player is injured in the first half(?) of the season, and is injured badly enough that they can not play the rest of the year. You must apply for a medical redshirt with the NCAA, and it is at their disgression that they are granted.

ok and sorry to hyjack this thread but what does that do for accademics. I mean usually you only need 4 years to graduate not 5.

Actually, at the national level ca. 80% of all students take more than 4 years to graduate. Those that are athletes have a tremendously greater probability of graduating if they redshirt. In fact, the driving force for the redshirt process is to ensure more reasonable graduation rates.

last question. How many redshirts are alowed per team.

Im pretty sure it is up to the individual coach to decide. no set limit by the NCAA.

However, if they are on scholarship, they still count against the limit of 85. So if you redshirt every scholarship athlete, you can only recruit 17/year, instead of 21+ (not considering attrition).

For the superstar, if they leave early for the NFL, you are just giving up a year. See Vick, Michael, and Young, Vince. Wasn't that also the case with Johnny Mitchell?

Generally it works out well for most. 4 1/2 years might be a more reasonable time to graduate in considering that many take a lighter load while playing in the fall.