iowa st. game observation

shagg

kind of dissappointed that we weren't able to get some of the younger players some playing time..thought the game should have been a blowout the way we were moving the ball in the first half..this was one of those conference game that we had a chance at getting a blowout thus giving the younger guys some playing time. i didn't think we took advantage of the opportunity...now the positives...i did like seeing lucky getting a direct snap then running with the ball. hope we do it more often

kind of dissappointed that we weren't able to get some of the younger players some playing time..thought the game should have been a blowout the way we were moving the ball in the first half..this was one of those conference game that we had a chance at getting a blowout thus giving the younger guys some playing time. i didn't think we took advantage of the opportunity...now the positives...i did like seeing lucky getting a direct snap then running with the ball. hope we do it more often

ya in a way it was like arkansaws wild hog

I would say Lucky played very well. I do enjoy seeing him run hard and get good blocks. I'm starting to think the posters on here who stayed the course and backed him were right, at this point it just seems like we need to get someone a lot of touches to let them get warmed up.

The safety play was not very good, a couple of times O'Hanlon just flat out took the wrong angle and there were a few times Asante still looked lost. It seemed like Murillo played well, too, as well as the linebackers and d-line. Also refreshing to see a few take-aways.

The question I have is why do we get so conservative if we go up? IMO we could have gone for the jugular by scoring immediately after the half, then allowed the aforementioned younger players to get some experience, especially Lee and Witt.

I would say Lucky played very well. I do enjoy seeing him run hard and get good blocks. I'm starting to think the posters on here who stayed the course and backed him were right, at this point it just seems like we need to get someone a lot of touches to let them get warmed up.

The safety play was not very good, a couple of times O'Hanlon just flat out took the wrong angle and there were a few times Asante still looked lost. It seemed like Murillo played well, too, as well as the linebackers and d-line. Also refreshing to see a few take-aways.

The question I have is why do we get so conservative if we go up? IMO we could have gone for the jugular by scoring immediately after the half, then allowed the aforementioned younger players to get some experience, especially Lee and Witt.

watson got somewhat conservative with the play calling in the third quarter...you can see how it threw our offense out of sync right away...agreed we should of gone for the kill...i've said it before and i'll say it again. we can move the ball on most teams if we come out with the intension to throw and throw until they give us some running..the only person that can mess that up is watson with his play calling sometime...i like running the ball as much as the next guy but with this line we can't just line up and run people over..our success in the running game will only come when we open up the passing game...throw and throw then run some not the other way around...i hate it when watson tries to get conservative with the running..now i'm done with my complaining

I'll be the first to admit I've been in the Helu camp from day one, but, credit where credit is due..Lucky looked really, really good today. Props as well to the O line. :cheers

watson got somewhat conservative with the play calling in the third quarter...you can see how it threw our offense out of sync right away...agreed we should of gone for the kill...i've said it before and i'll say it again. we can move the ball on most teams if we come out with the intension to throw and throw until they give us some running..the only person that can mess that up is watson with his play calling sometime...i like running the ball as much as the next guy but with this line we can't just line up and run people over..our success in the running game will only come when we open up the passing game...throw and throw then run some not the other way around...i hate it when watson tries to get conservative with the running..now i'm done with my complaining

You know I just rewatched the game and I think that that 3rd quarter was a result of 2 or 3 missed 3 and shorts. I think they had at least 2 3rd downs and 1 or 2 to go and they just couldn't convert. Right before that they had moved at least 1 first down prior to each. In the first half they made all of the 3rd and shorts. I think Watson got a bit conservative, but if they make those I think they get at least another TD in this game.

I think the team - and the first string - really needed that last decisive drive for a score, even if the game was in hand.

But it is concerning that no back-up QB will be getting any experience this season. We are all anticipating improvement in Bo's second season, but the drop off in quarterback is going to be huge.

kind of dissappointed that we weren't able to get some of the younger players some playing time

This is typical for a Callahan led team. Wait he isn't the coach anymore. <_<

I figured some of the younger guys would have played as well but what are you gonna do?

If it wasn't for the turnovers in the first half, this would have been a lock early in the 3rd. We see the scrubs then IMO. Still a lot of room for improvement.

You know I just rewatched the game and I think that that 3rd quarter was a result of 2 or 3 missed 3 and shorts. I think they had at least 2 3rd downs and 1 or 2 to go and they just couldn't convert. Right before that they had moved at least 1 first down prior to each. In the first half they made all of the 3rd and shorts. I think Watson got a bit conservative, but if they make those I think they get at least another TD in this game.

Hm, it always seems to be that Watson is 'too conservative' on 3rd and shorts. That, or he gets 'too cute' on 3rd and shorts. In the end it's just about execution, and as you say, they just didn't get it done in the 3rd quarter. I think we came out flat after the half, but thankfully they got their act back together.

IIRC, the big thing was the lost scoring opportunity at the end of the half. It could have been 28-0.

kind of dissappointed that we weren't able to get some of the younger players some playing time

This is typical for a Callahan led team. Wait he isn't the coach anymore. <_<

I figured some of the younger guys would have played as well but what are you gonna do?

If it wasn't for the turnovers in the first half, this would have been a lock early in the 3rd. We see the scrubs then IMO. Still a lot of room for improvement.

there always is room for improvement.

Hm, it always seems to be that Watson is 'too conservative' on 3rd and shorts. That, or he gets 'too cute' on 3rd and shorts. In the end it's just about execution, and as you say, they just didn't get it done in the 3rd quarter. I think we came out flat after the half, but thankfully they got their act back together.

IIRC, the big thing was the lost scoring opportunity at the end of the half. It could have been 28-0.

My comments on the 3rd and shorts was simply that they FAILED to execute. My comment about Watson getting conservative wasn't my explanation of why they failed. I was pointing out that while Watson tried to run a bit more the team still had several golden opportunities to keep drives alive, that is as you put it a lack of execution. They continued to run the ball more late in the 3rd and 4th, yet they converted better and it yielded 2 TDs.

I firmly believe that Spano will be the QB next year. That's why I don't believe it matters that the backups are getting many reps. We saw what happened when they got in in the NMSU game...not good. Besides, Joey has only started 10 games, and has only played meaningful minutes in 11.

I don't have a problem with it, although I would have liked to have seen him come out last Saturday.