Oklahoma Epiphanies

Husker_x

I learned a few things tonight watching this game. Some universal truths, if you will, that should be studied by this coaching staff.

1.) Our safeties should not be on scholarship. Seriously, save them for somebody else. O'Hanlon, are you frigging kidding me? You give him a free education to perform like he does on the field? I mean, I have to laugh a bit. Is Nebraska really that desperate? Thenarse lays the wood once in awhile, but his busted coverages are more frequent to the tune of 10 to 1.

2.) Castille and Lucky serve no function. Particularly Castille. This short yardage stuff is one of those things that makes you want to cry. Watch the big lumbering back trot onto the field to be stuffed a few times and then fumble. Has he ever actually played in a game where he hasn't put the ball on the turf? It's incredible. I see another converted linebacker in our future. Roy my Boy Helu is the only person on that team that has any business running with the football. Lucky's dance and run into Slauson routine is getting old. He's a great pass catcher and a good blocker, but a running back who can't run is about as useless as it sounds.

3.) The screen pass is the worst play ever devised by man. It also happens to be Watson's favorite play. I don't know what's worse, the horrible execution, or the predictability. All season I was waiting for some corner to read the play and get a pick six. Well, that Stoops boy, he knows how to read'em. And we weep.

4.) Poor game management. All three timeouts used in the first quarter. Enough said.

5.) We've got a streak going. The only major NCAA school to not field a defense two years running.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm too exhausted by mediocrity and failure to think anymore.

If you didn't see that swing pass coming, then you were the only one.

Watson's offense is laughably predictable, and to boot awful.

And seriously, start Helu. Lucky has no testicular fortitude to hit the hole on a straight run play. I do not care that he has speed in space, or that all of his yards come off screens and swings against crap teams.

I'd also love to know what happens to this team and why they sh#t the bed against any team that happens to have a number next to their name.

If you didn't see that swing pass coming, then you were the only one.

Watson's offense is laughably predictable, and to boot awful.

And seriously, start Helu. Lucky has no testicular fortitude to hit the hole on a straight run play. I do not care that he has speed in space, or that all of his yards come off screens and swings against crap teams.

I'd also love to know what happens to this team and why they sh#t the bed against any team that happens to have a number next to their name.

Like Texas Tech, amirite?

Lots of typical knee-jerk Husker reactions here.

Unfortunately knee-jerk ended for me about six minutes into the first quarter. After that it's all rationalism as pure as the first winter snow. Any particular point of disagreement? Want to take a shot defending Castille or Lucky? I'm listening. We're all listening. Like Watson's play calling this evening? Think the game was managed well? Think the teams has played with discipline this season? How about the safeties? Like the way they play?

Knee-jerk? No. Not really.

Agreed.

This game played out pretty much about how one should have expected it to. OU has far too much speed and quickness in the skill positions for the NU defense to begin to deal with --- no matter how coached.

The OU DL owned the NU line at times and generally were too athletic for our guys.

It was a mismatch. True, some could argue that the Huskers mistakes really added to the score. At a certain level it is true --- they had 27 points off of take-aways. But.... even if the the take-aways were not there the score gap would have been similar in that OU would have had their foot on the throttle longer. That is, OU wins by 30+ no matter what NU does. The talent gap is that great.

Still, NU should not be making these mistakes.

Unfortunately knee-jerk ended for me about six minutes into the first quarter. After that it's all rationalism as pure as the first winter snow. Any particular point of disagreement? Want to take a shot defending Castille or Lucky? I'm listening. We're all listening. Like Watson's play calling this evening? Think the game was managed well? Think the teams has played with discipline this season? How about the safeties? Like the way they play?

Knee-jerk? No. Not really.

I can't comment on the playcalling, because I don't know a thing about how to call a game. (Although it seems the rest of you do). But I'll comment on our execution: very, very poor tonight, for the most part. Two minutes into the game, the best way to describe well, everybody would be "deer in the headlights." Not a good effort today.

There was some good and some bad in the game tonight. I was insanely and unrealistically hopeful before the game. Sure, it didn't go as well as a lot of us had hoped, but there were some glimmers of a brilliant future. Helu-- wicked. He had a 10+ YPC average. The screen, ridiculous. They've run that far, far too often to trick the minds of a team like OU (coaches will have been drilling them on that easy play). I think a lot was learned and there were a lot of breaks: calls, bounces, etc. That ball that lucky deflected-- how often would that happen with lucky's hands?

It was just a bad game in a lot of ways, but tehre were silver linings. I'm willing to give them some chances.

The most disappointing plays for me were:

1. Two 3rd and 17s converted.

2. Castille touching the ball. That fumble after an interception made me angry... even long after I gave up on the game.

3. As you say.. the safeties. I'm watching those long passes and just wondering where the hell they are. Maybe our defense is just too complicated.

If Helu doesn't start, then we're a dumbly coached team. Ganz needs to get his head in the game. Witt looked good.