Oklahoma Epiphanies

Husker_x

The most disappointing plays for me were:

1. Two 3rd and 17s converted.

2. Castille touching the ball. That fumble after an interception made me angry... even long after I gave up on the game.

3. As you say.. the safeties. I'm watching those long passes and just wondering where the hell they are. Maybe our defense is just too complicated.

If Helu doesn't start, then we're a dumbly coached team. Ganz needs to get his head in the game. Witt looked good.

Our safeties have nowhere near the speed to hang with the OU receivers --- the schemes are likely not too complex. It is just we don't have the skill there to compete. O'Hanlon has heart and you root for him and appreciate his effort but he (and others too) simply cannot execute against vastly, vastly, vastly superior athletes --- but you can't blame him. He is doing his best. It must be disheartening for them. It is a simple mismatch.

? on that one punt by OU it looked like it hit a OU player on the head and bounced towards the endzone. Then the refs placed the ball where it ended? Not the one they called but an earlier one. Nope, only been drinking diet pepsi. :)

as far as the playing goes, I played baseball so gotta leave the football strategery to the experts.

21 points in turnovers in the first 5 min. That was the game. Not only did we not score points in those drives, they did. Not only did they score points in those drives, we lost our confidence. Not only did we loose our confidence, it was shattered.

Take those 21 points away, and we move the ball well on them (which we did overall), we won't stop them that much, but it will be a game similar to texas tech. We're not a good team, I don't think anyone is debating that, but we also aren't even close to where I believe we can be. Unfortunately, IMHO, the players we have right now don't understand a winning attitude. They don't have the balls they need to have. It will take new recruits, and a new spirit to make this team step up to the next level (or two).

It will happen.

It will happen under Bo Pelini.

It will happen in exactly 3 years.

It will happen with players that can't remember times like these.

...and by IT I mean we'll play for the big 12 championship (no...NC will still be a while). Does anyone disagree with that?

I learned a few things tonight watching this game. Some universal truths, if you will, that should be studied by this coaching staff.

1.) Our safeties should not be on scholarship. Seriously, save them for somebody else. O'Hanlon, are you frigging kidding me? You give him a free education to perform like he does on the field? I mean, I have to laugh a bit. Is Nebraska really that desperate? Thenarse lays the wood once in awhile, but his busted coverages are more frequent to the tune of 10 to 1.

2.) Castille and Lucky serve no function. Particularly Castille. This short yardage stuff is one of those things that makes you want to cry. Watch the big lumbering back trot onto the field to be stuffed a few times and then fumble. Has he ever actually played in a game where he hasn't put the ball on the turf? It's incredible. I see another converted linebacker in our future. Roy my Boy Helu is the only person on that team that has any business running with the football. Lucky's dance and run into Slauson routine is getting old. He's a great pass catcher and a good blocker, but a running back who can't run is about as useless as it sounds.

3.) The screen pass is the worst play ever devised by man. It also happens to be Watson's favorite play. I don't know what's worse, the horrible execution, or the predictability. All season I was waiting for some corner to read the play and get a pick six. Well, that Stoops boy, he knows how to read'em. And we weep.

4.) Poor game management. All three timeouts used in the first quarter. Enough said.

5.) We've got a streak going. The only major NCAA school to not field a defense two years running.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm too exhausted by mediocrity and failure to think anymore.

A bit harsh but pretty accurate.

Our safeties are the weakest link. No surprise Daniel and Bradford were able to move the ball on them. I am worried about upcoming with KU and Reesing...we better score a lot if we expect to win because if we get no pressure on Reesing we are in for a long day. Same will be true with Freeman if we can't pressure him. At this point I would like to see Thenarse on the field though. :steam

Castille seems to have digressed which is troublesome. I wish he could get it going but he has not looked good last few weeks. Lucky is misused and I would like Lucky and Helu to be in the game together to throw to Lucky or run with Helu. Why can't we run a formation with both Lucky and Helu in together? :dunno

That screen pass we have been doing all season is not going to go anywhere against top teams. Sure, throw it in against Iowa St. and San Jose St. USC and Florida have the personnel to run this play...we have no business running this play against OU. If we want 1 or 2 yards at most, slam the FB in for a few plays. I had been waiting for someone to jump that play all year. :hmmph

:rant

If you didn't see that swing pass coming, then you were the only one.

Watson's offense is laughably predictable, and to boot awful.

And seriously, start Helu. Lucky has no testicular fortitude to hit the hole on a straight run play. I do not care that he has speed in space, or that all of his yards come off screens and swings against crap teams.

I'd also love to know what happens to this team and why they sh#t the bed against any team that happens to have a number next to their name.

Like Texas Tech, amirite?

Just curious if NU won or lost that game. Thanks. Feel free to expound if the loss was directly attributed to a stupid mistake also.

Feel free to actaully argue any of the points I made too.

If you didn't see that swing pass coming, then you were the only one.

Watson's offense is laughably predictable, and to boot awful.

And seriously, start Helu. Lucky has no testicular fortitude to hit the hole on a straight run play. I do not care that he has speed in space, or that all of his yards come off screens and swings against crap teams.

I'd also love to know what happens to this team and why they sh#t the bed against any team that happens to have a number next to their name.

Like Texas Tech, amirite?

Just curious if NU won or lost that game. Thanks. Feel free to expound if the loss was directly attributed to a stupid mistake also.

Feel free to actaully argue any of the points I made too.

Well, you asked:

And I pointed out that this was not true. Do you disagree?

I don't buy the talent gap thing. We can play extremely talented teams to the wire if we want to. It's a gap in mental fortitude. This will come with time - we hope - , but all anyone wants to do is say "coach should have called this play" or "coach should have started this player."

There was a big talent gap alright... The chances for us to win were slim anyway, but...

We played like we were intimidated. The offense looked scared and unconfident on the first possession. It's like they actually listened to the Ruff Neks.

I thought the very same thing. Our players acted as if they were intimidated or worse yet...just plain scared to be on the field with OU.

Props to OU though. Their defense was lightening fast and their O-line was dominate! Hopefully we get em next year.

There was a big talent gap alright... The chances for us to win were slim anyway, but...

We played like we were intimidated. The offense looked scared and unconfident on the first possession. It's like they actually listened to the Ruff Neks.

I thought the very same thing. Our players acted as if they were intimidated or worse yet...just plain scared to be on the field with OU.

Props to OU though. Their defense was lightening fast and their O-line was dominate! Hopefully we get em next year.

Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes dedhoarse Year 1 for Bo, it was going to happen, this team just can't get over the fact that the beat themselves half the time.

I learned a few things tonight watching this game. Some universal truths, if you will, that should be studied by this coaching staff.

1.) Our safeties should not be on scholarship. Seriously, save them for somebody else. O'Hanlon, are you frigging kidding me? You give him a free education to perform like he does on the field? I mean, I have to laugh a bit. Is Nebraska really that desperate? Thenarse lays the wood once in awhile, but his busted coverages are more frequent to the tune of 10 to 1.

2.) Castille and Lucky serve no function. Particularly Castille. This short yardage stuff is one of those things that makes you want to cry. Watch the big lumbering back trot onto the field to be stuffed a few times and then fumble. Has he ever actually played in a game where he hasn't put the ball on the turf? It's incredible. I see another converted linebacker in our future. Roy my Boy Helu is the only person on that team that has any business running with the football. Lucky's dance and run into Slauson routine is getting old. He's a great pass catcher and a good blocker, but a running back who can't run is about as useless as it sounds.

3.) The screen pass is the worst play ever devised by man. It also happens to be Watson's favorite play. I don't know what's worse, the horrible execution, or the predictability. All season I was waiting for some corner to read the play and get a pick six. Well, that Stoops boy, he knows how to read'em. And we weep.

4.) Poor game management. All three timeouts used in the first quarter. Enough said.

5.) We've got a streak going. The only major NCAA school to not field a defense two years running.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm too exhausted by mediocrity and failure to think anymore.

A bit harsh but pretty accurate.

Our safeties are the weakest link. No surprise Daniel and Bradford were able to move the ball on them. I am worried about upcoming with KU and Reesing...we better score a lot if we expect to win because if we get no pressure on Reesing we are in for a long day. Same will be true with Freeman if we can't pressure him. At this point I would like to see Thenarse on the field though. :steam

Castille seems to have digressed which is troublesome. I wish he could get it going but he has not looked good last few weeks. Lucky is misused and I would like Lucky and Helu to be in the game together to throw to Lucky or run with Helu. Why can't we run a formation with both Lucky and Helu in together? :dunno

That screen pass we have been doing all season is not going to go anywhere against top teams. Sure, throw it in against Iowa St. and San Jose St. USC and Florida have the personnel to run this play...we have no business running this play against OU. If we want 1 or 2 yards at most, slam the FB in for a few plays. I had been waiting for someone to jump that play all year. :hmmph

:rant

The Castille digression is all in his head. He used to run like a freight train and hit like a truck. But now he is tentative --- Why? He is afraid to fumble and is playing like he is walking on eggshells. It is not uncommon a thing.

Lots of typical knee-jerk Husker reactions here.

Unfortunately knee-jerk ended for me about six minutes into the first quarter. After that it's all rationalism as pure as the first winter snow. Any particular point of disagreement? Want to take a shot defending Castille or Lucky? I'm listening. We're all listening. Like Watson's play calling this evening? Think the game was managed well? Think the teams has played with discipline this season? How about the safeties? Like the way they play?

Knee-jerk? No. Not really.

lucky was injure this week and practice and at the game. he was only in for a few carries. he has been running hard, makes catches, blocks well, is a good team leader and has done all of this while goin through a lot in his life. let me guess, next season the first time helu rushes for forty yards in a game you will be calling for okafor to start.

Lots of typical knee-jerk Husker reactions here.

Unfortunately knee-jerk ended for me about six minutes into the first quarter. After that it's all rationalism as pure as the first winter snow. Any particular point of disagreement? Want to take a shot defending Castille or Lucky? I'm listening. We're all listening. Like Watson's play calling this evening? Think the game was managed well? Think the teams has played with discipline this season? How about the safeties? Like the way they play?

Knee-jerk? No. Not really.

lucky was injure this week and practice and at the game. he was only in for a few carries. he has been running hard, makes catches, blocks well, is a good team leader and has done all of this while goin through a lot in his life. let me guess, next season the first time helu rushes for forty yards in a game you will be calling for okafor to start.

You meant Mendoza to start, didn't you? :)

GBR!!!