Oklahoma Epiphanies

Husker_x

OU is bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, and better coached.

sorry, truth hurts. We don't have a ton of talent except for a handful of guys. Not enough to match up with a team like that. AND we were totally outcoached. Watson is so inconsistant, I've heard all along he was run out of Colorado. (from my brother who is a big CU booster). I try to have Watson's back, but come on. Why can he do it against TTech, then bring such predictability to this game?

I'm not sure we can expect anymore improvement than what we've already seen out of this team. Remember, these are the same guys who NEVER tackled in practice for the last how many years? The fall out from the Callahan era will be around for awhile.

I hope for a respectable season record so our recruiting can get back to where it once was.

Husker x, What did you think was going to happen this year? Did you somehow miss all of last season?

7-5, said it in July, saying it in November. And I'm happy about it!! Means a bowl game and a chance to watch Pellini take what he's got and make them better.

Bizarre to read threads dogging a team like these things are new....or a crisis even. I really didn't think we'd be a B12 or NC contender this year so getting whupped by teams that are isn't so rough.

Lots of typical knee-jerk Husker reactions here.

Unfortunately knee-jerk ended for me about six minutes into the first quarter. After that it's all rationalism as pure as the first winter snow. Any particular point of disagreement? Want to take a shot defending Castille or Lucky? I'm listening. We're all listening. Like Watson's play calling this evening? Think the game was managed well? Think the teams has played with discipline this season? How about the safeties? Like the way they play?

Knee-jerk? No. Not really.

lucky was injure this week and practice and at the game. he was only in for a few carries. he has been running hard, makes catches, blocks well, is a good team leader and has done all of this while goin through a lot in his life. let me guess, next season the first time helu rushes for forty yards in a game you will be calling for okafor to start.

Actually I've never been much of a Lucky fan. Every time I watch him run into Slauson and fall down, I shake my head and wonder where the fifth star came from. He's never been a dominant runner. Once in awhile he has a good game against a mid-tier MAC team, but that's about it. I think he's a good pass catcher and a fine blocker, but that's all he does. He can't run. Helu can. Start Helu.

Husker x, What did you think was going to happen this year? Did you somehow miss all of last season?

7-5, said it in July, saying it in November. And I'm happy about it!! Means a bowl game and a chance to watch Pellini take what he's got and make them better.

Bizarre to read threads dogging a team like these things are new....or a crisis even. I really didn't think we'd be a B12 or NC contender this year so getting whupped by teams that are isn't so rough.

I never made any comments in my post about what I did or did not expect for the season. I did expect some small defensive improvement, but I guess that was asking a bit too much.

I'm happy with a bowl game. It's a step in the right direction. No white flags here. I don't want a new coaching staff. I'd like Lucky and Castille to ride the pine for as long as possible. I'd like Watson to never call another one of those ridiculous screen passes. I'd like the safeties to be able to play coverage. And I'd like Bo to not use all three timeouts in the first quarter.

Asking too much? Dogging the team? Unrealistic?

Not exactly.

Lots of typical knee-jerk Husker reactions here.

Agreed.

This game played out pretty much about how one should have expected it to.

Wha??? We should've EXPECTED Nebraska to spot OU 35 points in the first quarter? I'm not sure what you said in your post following this sentence because it is so ridiculously absurd that I doubt it would have justified the time I took to read it.

I learned a few things tonight watching this game. Some universal truths, if you will, that should be studied by this coaching staff.

1.) Our safeties should not be on scholarship. Seriously, save them for somebody else. O'Hanlon, are you frigging kidding me? You give him a free education to perform like he does on the field? I mean, I have to laugh a bit. Is Nebraska really that desperate? Thenarse lays the wood once in awhile, but his busted coverages are more frequent to the tune of 10 to 1.

2.) Castille and Lucky serve no function. Particularly Castille. This short yardage stuff is one of those things that makes you want to cry. Watch the big lumbering back trot onto the field to be stuffed a few times and then fumble. Has he ever actually played in a game where he hasn't put the ball on the turf? It's incredible. I see another converted linebacker in our future. Roy my Boy Helu is the only person on that team that has any business running with the football. Lucky's dance and run into Slauson routine is getting old. He's a great pass catcher and a good blocker, but a running back who can't run is about as useless as it sounds.

3.) The screen pass is the worst play ever devised by man. It also happens to be Watson's favorite play. I don't know what's worse, the horrible execution, or the predictability. All season I was waiting for some corner to read the play and get a pick six. Well, that Stoops boy, he knows how to read'em. And we weep.

4.) Poor game management. All three timeouts used in the first quarter. Enough said.

5.) We've got a streak going. The only major NCAA school to not field a defense two years running.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm too exhausted by mediocrity and failure to think anymore.

1. Our DBs need A LOT of work, however we have nothing to work with on this team, with Callahan's sh**ty players.

2. I agree about Castille, Lucky is actually OK but I agree that Helu is a way better runner, he can actually break tackles and run through traffic, where as Lucky falls down after the first defender touching him.

3. I read somewhere earlier on this board about that play "I'm just waiting for the defender to catch it and get a pick six". Then when it happened was at the worst possible time. I hate how we do that god damn play every first down, we seriously need to just run a curl route or run the ball.

4. Like it matters in last nights game.

5. dedhoarse

If you didn't see that swing pass coming, then you were the only one.

Watson's offense is laughably predictable, and to boot awful.

And seriously, start Helu. Lucky has no testicular fortitude to hit the hole on a straight run play. I do not care that he has speed in space, or that all of his yards come off screens and swings against crap teams.

I'd also love to know what happens to this team and why they sh#t the bed against any team that happens to have a number next to their name.

Like Texas Tech, amirite?

Just curious if NU won or lost that game. Thanks. Feel free to expound if the loss was directly attributed to a stupid mistake also.

Feel free to actaully argue any of the points I made too.

Well, you asked:

I'd also love to know what happens to this team and why they sh#t the bed against any team that happens to have a number next to their name.

And I pointed out that this was not true. Do you disagree?

I don't buy the talent gap thing. We can play extremely talented teams to the wire if we want to. It's a gap in mental fortitude. This will come with time - we hope - , but all anyone wants to do is say "coach should have called this play" or "coach should have started this player."

I do disagree. It is true. When this squad plays a ranked team it absolutely turns into sugar in a rainstorm. I'm thrilled everyone thinks that TTech was a great breakthrough. I don't and neither does the coach if his comments after that game are any yardstick.

The playcalling is directly attributed to the talent gap. There is only one real option on any of the pass plays called, and Ganz is going to put it there come hell or high water. Evidently, it is now impossible to run the ball unless its a stretch, toss or to Slauson's side. And, the look in every single one of those player's eyes looked like they wanted to go to bed in thier cozy Lincoln apt. and hope to play NMSU and Baylor every week so everyone can tell them how special they are again.

Its really time for this football team to nut up.

I never made any comments in my post about what I did or did not expect for the season. I did expect some small defensive improvement, but I guess that was asking a bit too much.

I'm happy with a bowl game. It's a step in the right direction. No white flags here. I don't want a new coaching staff. I'd like Lucky and Castille to ride the pine for as long as possible. I'd like Watson to never call another one of those ridiculous screen passes. I'd like the safeties to be able to play coverage. And I'd like Bo to not use all three timeouts in the first quarter.

Asking too much? Dogging the team? Unrealistic?

Not exactly.

It is a bit perplexing to be dogging the team for not showing defensive improvement against one of the most prolific offenses this season. The team has shown improvement over last year. This game was a stumble which they will put behind them. I foresee better performances from the defense the next three games in part because they will learn from their mistakes and play better. They will also not be playing teams near the level of Oklahoma.

If you didn't see that swing pass coming, then you were the only one.

Watson's offense is laughably predictable, and to boot awful.

And seriously, start Helu. Lucky has no testicular fortitude to hit the hole on a straight run play. I do not care that he has speed in space, or that all of his yards come off screens and swings against crap teams.

Like Texas Tech, amirite?

Just curious if NU won or lost that game. Thanks. Feel free to expound if the loss was directly attributed to a stupid mistake also.

Feel free to actaully argue any of the points I made too.

Well, you asked:

And I pointed out that this was not true. Do you disagree?

I don't buy the talent gap thing. We can play extremely talented teams to the wire if we want to. It's a gap in mental fortitude. This will come with time - we hope - , but all anyone wants to do is say "coach should have called this play" or "coach should have started this player."

I do disagree. It is true. When this squad plays a ranked team it absolutely turns into sugar in a rainstorm. I'm thrilled everyone thinks that TTech was a great breakthrough. I don't and neither does the coach if his comments after that game are any yardstick.

The playcalling is directly attributed to the talent gap. There is only one real option on any of the pass plays called, and Ganz is going to put it there come hell or high water. Evidently, it is now impossible to run the ball unless its a stretch, toss or to Slauson's side. And, the look in every single one of those player's eyes looked like they wanted to go to bed in thier cozy Lincoln apt. and hope to play NMSU and Baylor every week so everyone can tell them how special they are again.

Its really time for this football team to nut up.

Well actually if you listened to Bo in this game's post game interview he actually pointed to the TT loss as an example of what NU can do if it doesn't make the mistakes it made Saturday night. I would say that while Bo did state after the TT game that he isn't interested in moral victories, he obviously feels that game was a step forward. As far as the pass options, it sounds like you haven't watched a game all year until now. Part of what has made Ganz good is his ability to move around and stretch plays out. If he was just going to his first option no matter what, we wouldn't see him stretching the plays all of the time to help get a receiver open.