Perhaps the most glaring problem of all

NUpolo8

That is the point guys, it does have to do with talent. It is not a coaching problem.

This coach has had fantastic defenses during his tours at Oklahoma and LSU. He has been in charge of them and made them work.

Talent is not limited to on field athletic ability. It is the ability to learn, adapt and understand their rolls, their limits. There is something missing there is no question, but it is not coaching in my mind.

If you were take all physical abilities into consideration, my guess is that we are on par with Baylor, Texas A&M, Colorado, Iowa State. Not close to Oklahoma, Texas, Tech, OK State, Missouri. Closer to Kansas than we think.

We are seeing the same problems we saw with the last defensive staff. Now we have had two defensive ideas and we are failing against top competition. We can blame the past staff, but it is becoming obvious that it was not just the past staffs problems. This is a talent issue period. You can only give them the tools, if they can not use them, well we see what is happening.

I think he summed it up pretty well

And down in Lubbock we hired some talent right? Otherwise, our boys don't have a chance, is that what I heard? Please.

matchups man, c'mon... we controlled the ball for more than forty minutes!!!! over 2/3 of the game!!! of course you're going to be in the game in that situation! think about it.

yeah some of these guys that we have on defense never even seen the the field last year and IF so it was briefly, some of the players that made the field saturday probably never praticed really due too coaching staff of last year cuase the starters got all of the reps. The Fact is that ou is better than us right now and they flat out handed it too us!

That is the point guys, it does have to do with talent. It is not a coaching problem.

This coach has had fantastic defenses during his tours at Oklahoma and LSU. He has been in charge of them and made them work.

Talent is not limited to on field athletic ability. It is the ability to learn, adapt and understand their rolls, their limits. There is something missing there is no question, but it is not coaching in my mind.

If you were take all physical abilities into consideration, my guess is that we are on par with Baylor, Texas A&M, Colorado, Iowa State. Not close to Oklahoma, Texas, Tech, OK State, Missouri. Closer to Kansas than we think.

We are seeing the same problems we saw with the last defensive staff. Now we have had two defensive ideas and we are failing against top competition. We can blame the past staff, but it is becoming obvious that it was not just the past staffs problems. This is a talent issue period. You can only give them the tools, if they can not use them, well we see what is happening.

I think he summed it up pretty well

And down in Lubbock we hired some talent right? Otherwise, our boys don't have a chance, is that what I heard? Please.

matchups man, c'mon... we controlled the ball for more than forty minutes!!!! over 2/3 of the game!!! of course you're going to be in the game in that situation! think about it.

what does talent have to do with penalties and not being in position? it is coaching.... but that doesnt mean its the coaches fault. this stuff takes time

NUpolo I think you hit the nail on the head, these are huge issues that need to be fixed. When you have penalties in excess every game and you give up turnovers every game it's hard to win some close games with stupid mistakes like this. We would've won the VT game and TT game had it not been for these mistakes.

Cedeing the argument that teams like OU have incredibly better athletes and more talent than NU (and its getting pretty hard to argue otherwise), there are many things that simply should not be happening 10 weeks into the season.

I have never seen a D-1 school with a defense where so many players line up in the wrong spot, sprint as fast as they can across the field to recover from a shift, or miss so many assignments. This, as a best-case scenario, so far, ends with a burned TO and Pelini showing his swearing skills.

Also, last night there were 8 penalties again. Are these the lumps of a new coaching staff or are these players just that bad and that dim? If its the latter, I question how they could even make use of a free education if they can't the simple things right.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin .."That's funny..I don't care who you are...LTCG

Loved how you emphasized your point about how dim our players are while using some of Tuff Tigers grammar skeels. (I really really HOPE that was yer intention).

Did you watch the Texas OU game?

UT (Muschamp's) Defenders were frequently out of position..That's one of the positive aspects of OU's "hurry-up" Offense.

And the posts about Bo getting "His Players" thing ignores the benefit of an extra year of our current players with an improved (I hope) Weight and conditioning program...The kind that used to give our walkons and farm boys an unfair advantage over the rest of the nation..Now it will hopefully allow us to make up some lost ground from the previous staff's lack of interest in building up the lines.

Still seems like 90% of the games are won in the trenches.

Callahan didn't recruit much defense. Look at how many Blue Chip RBs he brought in and compare it to how many Blue Chip LBs he went after. You also need to look at how many Juco's Callahan went after.

Add on the fact that he spent most his practice time working on X's & O's rather than developing fundamental skills.

I'm going to say that some of these penalties, if not most, are probably due to a whole host of inexperienced players being on defense. As stated before, most of these guys did not get a lot of reps last year in practice or game.

Also, the entire defensive philosophy has changed from an entire set of new coaches to new schemes and a much more aggressive defense rather than the set back and wait (read-react) big 10 defense that was tried and failed here.

Frankly, i'm not surprised by our defensive effort but i am damn glad that i have not seen the guys hang their heads nor give up on the field. This will work and probably is working just by what i've been able to see thus far this year.

I was at the game in Norman and like everyone else here i was blown away by the first five minutes but i watched to see what happened to our guys' attitudes and body language after that and you know what.....THEY KEPT FIGHTING!

I'm proud of this team and these kids....and it only gets better from here on out!

GBR and beat KU! :horns2