quarterbacks

Removing the no contact shirts could be a dangerous move for the coaches if one of the top Qbs gets injured in practice. I dont think fans would appreciate that very much.

I'm sure the coaches are more concerned with what's going to be best for the team than what the fans think is "best" for the team. I don't necessarily think that getting our qbs killed will be good for our team. But they do need to get a real feel/reminder for the speed of the game so that when they do face an opponent who IS trying to kill them they will know how to handle it.

I think we saw the value of the green jersey last year. Some felt after the spring game that JD was the man. You need to practice at game speed and you need to make decessions at game speed. He never did it at anytime last spring or the year before. (I do not consider mop action against tired or 3rd and 4th string players quality learning time). If we get one hurt so be it. Having them prepared to do the job is better than learning how not to do the job. We have enough QB's in house the job will get done this year. More injuries happen trying not to get hurt than playing at ease IMHO. Perfect practice makes perfect, lame ass practice makes what we had last year. I am glad they are gone. I am sure the staff will do what is best to protect the QB's, but you need to play the game.

And doesn't it always seem to be the case that when a school tries to shelter the quarterbacks too much, it comes back to bite them? Fall comes and they are not prepared to take a hit, get injured, aren't used to the speed of the game (it's difficult for a defensive player to make a full-speed rush and pull up at the last split second)...

You have to give them some game sprred action before the are ready to go into the game. You can't protect them in the game. You have to teach them to protect themselves in practice by practicing at game speed. Good job coaches.

Right on. Plus, I don't believe the Blackshirts will actually try to kill their own QB's at practice. Form tackle takedowns won't hurt them....QB's are athletes too, they aren't made of glass.

You have to give them some game sprred action before the are ready to go into the game. You can't protect them in the game. You have to teach them to protect themselves in practice by practicing at game speed. Good job coaches.

Right on. Plus, I don't believe the Blackshirts will actually try to kill their own QB's at practice. Form tackle takedowns won't hurt them....QB's are athletes too, they aren't made of glass.

No, of course no one would do it on purpose. Accidents happen though.

I read it that the staff was very impressed with Taylor, and Joe showed improvement. To me that says starter easily, and way down the list for Joe. I just do not see Beck starting until mid season if at all. He just does not know the offense nor does he know the tendacies of the recievers. Too much to learn in a very short time. Taylor will be the starter, Ganz or Adams 2nd and 3rd, and Joe moving around well with the clip board. Beck will see action if Taylor is hurt early in the year. I do not think he Redshirts though. He will practice and maybe late in the year see the playing field setting up competition for next year. I think it is Taylor's to lose.

Whoever wins out the starting spot, at least the offense is headed in the right direction with more passing oriented QBs being recruited and showing promise. Talent wise they can be compared, but yes you are right Daily knows the system better and therefore will probably get the start, but down the road, any sign of slippage, he may be pulled very quickly.

All the reports from Friday's practice says the QB race is still even. Completion rates are up and Norvell commented on Dailey being more prepared for obvious reasons.

I don't really think the coaches would let everyone believe at this time that one is much ahead of the other. I think they're probably just happy to have 2 guys competing against each other day in and day out. It'll be even better when Beck gets here in the fall to see where he stacks up.

Whoever wins out the starting spot, at least the offense is headed in the right direction with more passing oriented QBs being recruited and showing promise. Talent wise they can be compared, but yes you are right Daily knows the system better and therefore will probably get the start, but down the road, any sign of slippage, he may be pulled very quickly.

My guess is there won't be much of a desire to replace whoever the starter is after the 2nd or 3rd game unless the performance is absolutely abyssmal or we lose more than one of the first 3 (not likely) or JD gets injured.

Once we're at that point in the schedule, even BC wouldn't start someone with no live experience with the offense in the game against ISU or TTU if there were other options available.

The only potential I can see here is maybe Beck getting the start in those first 3 games if he has greater potential than JD or Taylor and turns out to be a quick study.

But if he's not not the starter at the beginning of the year, he would have to grow up fast against Baylor because starting him against the likes of Mizzou (on the road no less) or Oklahome would probably do more harm to the kid than good.

IRISH!