Needs some help for CU

So excited.......bringing my two boys to the CU game. I am bringing my oldest son who is 15 and my youngest who is 7. Driving from Illinois......talked the wife into letting us leave Thanksgiving dinner early (that was fun...and she is a Mizzou grad to boot)!!! Driving to Des Moines and then in the rest of the way on game day. Couple of questions.....

1. How long should I plan on the drive to Lincoln from Des Moines.....want to leave plenty of time for a couple of hours of tailgating. Will be coming in on 80.

2. Pre-game....any suggestions on where I can take the 7 year old before the game...that is acceptable for his young ears? Any place warm....since I will be keeping at the game for 3+ hours.

My 15 year old and I have been to several games, so he is officially a Big Red fan....had him at the ND game in 01! The 7 year old is close to being completed brainwashed (even though his MU mom is still trying) this game should put him over the top! It is funny I just about have him reciting the Nebraska Locker Room prayer by heart! (It drives the wife nuts!)

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!! GBR! :clap:horns2

So excited.......bringing my two boys to the CU game. I am bringing my oldest son who is 15 and my youngest who is 7. Driving from Illinois......talked the wife into letting us leave Thanksgiving dinner early (that was fun...and she is a Mizzou grad to boot)!!! Driving to Des Moines and then in the rest of the way on game day. Couple of questions.....

1. How long should I plan on the drive to Lincoln from Des Moines.....want to leave plenty of time for a couple of hours of tailgating. Will be coming in on 80.

The drive is about 3 hours but with extra traffice I would figure about another 45 minutes. If you want to tailgate for 2 hour, have time to park, and get to the see the band and pre-game in the stadium I would plan to leave about 7 hours before the game.

2. Pre-game....any suggestions on where I can take the 7 year old before the game...that is acceptable for his young ears? Any place warm....since I will be keeping at the game for 3+ hours.

There are things to see in the infield of the track (Ed Weir Track) over by the stadium. Also the band should be marching on campus before the game. As far as inside places to hang out with a 7 year old it may be a little tough. I would suggest wearing a coat and tailgaiting yourself versus going to any downtown establishment.

My 15 year old and I have been to several games, so he is officially a Big Red fan....had him at the ND game in 01! The 7 year old is close to being completed brainwashed (even though his MU mom is still trying) this game should put him over the top! It is funny I just about have him reciting the Nebraska Locker Room prayer by heart! (It drives the wife nuts!)

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!! GBR!

the field house is always open, you can take a peak at the indoor practice facility and such. and you canwalk around the volleyball court and their trophy hallway. dont be shy, a dad with his two sons isnt gonna get the boot. now, if your on the sauce and try to run around the the fieldturf, youll probably be asked to leave. at least thats what this one friend told me...

and if you find you want to do something non football related, you can take them through morrill hall. trust me, especially the 7 year old will get a kick out of it. wooly mammoths, sabre tooth tigers, etc. its like $3 to get in, and its right next to the stadium on the east side.

http://www-museum.unl.edu/index.html

If you're looking for a place to eat hit Old Chicago, family friendly and right in the old market.

yuk......i hate old chicago.

lol...why? OK how bout Buzzard Billies? Alligator is surprisingly good.

I went in there looking for typical Chicago fare: a Vienna Beef hot dog with all the trimmings. No dice. a nice Italian Beef sandwich. No again. Don't even get me started on the Old Style. Most ridiculously named restaurant since Boston Pizza