Question from a Bama fan...................

Jeff1960

I have a question for you guys, and please don't think I am being disrespectful in any way. With all due respect to your current coach, why didn't you guys hire Paul Johnson? Did you consider him? I just can't imagine a guy who IMO is more PERFECT for Nebraska than Johnson. It just seems to be that he was born to be a Nebraska coach.

offense was not nebraska's problem: it was the porous 'slap and tickle' big 10 defense that kevin cosgrove installed that got callahan fired.

Offense was and still might be the problem. Name a top 25 team that this offense has gone up against and proven that it is good? (Try not to name teams where the other team was so far ahead that it didn't matter if Nu scored. IE Oklahoma, Missery last two years, Oklahoma St) Other then Texas Tech Nebraska is in the same boat Kansas was last year where they only beat bad teams and were beaten by the only good team they played (Missery)

Why some of those losses were because of defense, some were also caused by turnovers Virginia Tech, Texas Tech, Colorado, Oklahoma, and on and on and on.

Name a top 25 team that didnt have better athletes than us. Under BC with his WCO, you NEED elite athletes for it to work well. USC and Mich(until this dreadful year) ran versions of the WCO and scored on everyone. Its the NFL mentality. But this year's offense(especially post MU) is not a WCO. And while we didnt win the VT or TT, we were in it till the end. Not every game(especially vs better teams) are you going to score 35+, regardless of the offense, thats just football.

I have a question for you guys, and please don't think I am being disrespectful in any way. With all due respect to your current coach, why didn't you guys hire Paul Johnson? Did you consider him? I just can't imagine a guy who IMO is more PERFECT for Nebraska than Johnson. It just seems to be that he was born to be a Nebraska coach.

offense was not nebraska's problem: it was the porous 'slap and tickle' big 10 defense that kevin cosgrove installed that got callahan fired.

Offense was and still might be the problem. Name a top 25 team that this offense has gone up against and proven that it is good? (Try not to name teams where the other team was so far ahead that it didn't matter if Nu scored. IE Oklahoma, Missery last two years, Oklahoma St) Other then Texas Tech Nebraska is in the same boat Kansas was last year where they only beat bad teams and were beaten by the only good team they played (Missery)

Why some of those losses were because of defense, some were also caused by turnovers Virginia Tech, Texas Tech, Colorado, Oklahoma, and on and on and on.

Name a top 25 team that didnt have better athletes than us. Under BC with his WCO, you NEED elite athletes for it to work well. USC and Mich(until this dreadful year) ran versions of the WCO and scored on everyone. Its the NFL mentality. But this year's offense(especially post MU) is not a WCO. And while we didnt win the VT or TT, we were in it till the end. Not every game(especially vs better teams) are you going to score 35+, regardless of the offense, thats just football.

I think the way the offense has controlled time of possession since the Missery game says a lot about the offense. Look what they did to the mighty TT offense by keeping them off the field. Isn't the offense the part that usually lags behind the defense when a team is rebuilding?

Becasue like at most big time programs the boosters get the final say and not the people who should. You know the people like the AD's and people would have actually coached football :w00t

and that's as close to a defense that any nebraska fan will give cosgrove.

it wasn't *completely* his fault.

I think ONE of the deciding factors in Watson not wanting to leave NU to go coach for Saban as his OC because the man is a SLAVEDRIVER. Gary Barnett on one of the Big 12 round ups more then hinted at the scenario. I suspect Saban may have high staff turnover due to fact.

That very well could be the case. Saban is very demanding of his assistants, and works them hard. Yes, he does tend to have a high staff turnover, but there are also a lot of coaches who WANT to work for him. Some coaches like Will Muschamp and Jimbo Fisher loved working for him. Working for him is not for everybody. His drive and relentlessness is what makes him the coach he is. He's probably the best recruiter in college football, and one of the best defensive minds.

Johnson was, at least briefly, considered. I don't recall which candidate it was, but rumor had it that one of them wanted to bring their entire staff and Dr. Tom was insisting that a couple of the assistants (primarily Watson) be retained.

Couple that with the fact that Nebraska's crying need was defense, Bo had worked magic in that regard before for us, and even the cost of the hires, and there you have it.

The Paul Johnson rumor was just that. Never have heard that he was by NU by any reliable source.

Johnson was, at least briefly, considered. I don't recall which candidate it was, but rumor had it that one of them wanted to bring their entire staff and Dr. Tom was insisting that a couple of the assistants (primarily Watson) be retained.

Couple that with the fact that Nebraska's crying need was defense, Bo had worked magic in that regard before for us, and even the cost of the hires, and there you have it.

That was Jim Grobe at WF

No, THIS GUY 340x.jpg was BOrn to be our coach. :box