One play "what-if"

I don't usually play the what if game because my motto in football has always been: shoulda coulda woulda didn't.

but here goes anyway.

1 - What if Ganz doesn't throw an interception in the Texas Tech game?

2 - What if Crabtree was tackled instead of scoring in the waning seconds when TT played Texas?

The whole CCG landscape changed with those two plays, and REALLY it changed on just the first one alone. I know I can't just assume Nebraska would have won because Tech hadn't stopped the offense the whole day, but without that interception, chances of a "W" were really very good. And, I can't assume Texas would have won if Crabtree didn't break a tackle for a score.

Had #1 not happened, and Nebraska won by 1 point, we'd be buying tickets to face Texas in the CCG. Even without that play, #2 would have put Texas in there.

Texas and Nebraska shoulda coulda woulda didn't take care of business, and shoulda coulda woulda didn't get to the CCG.

My point of the exercise? I don't want to hear Texas complaining. They signed up for this system, and every year they complain when they feel they are slighted by it. They needed to take care of business against Tech and didn't.

I don't usually play the what if game because my motto in football has always been: shoulda coulda woulda didn't.

but here goes anyway.

2 - What if Crabtree was tackled instead of scoring in the waning seconds when TT played Texas?

The whole CCG landscape changed with those two plays, and REALLY it changed on just the first one alone. I know I can't just assume Nebraska would have won because Tech hadn't stopped the offense the whole day, but without that interception, chances of a "W" were really very good. And, I can't assume Texas would have won if Crabtree didn't break a tackle for a score.

Had #1 not happened, and Nebraska won by 1 point, we'd be buying tickets to face Texas in the CCG. Even without that play, #2 would have put Texas in there.

Texas and Nebraska shoulda coulda woulda didn't take care of business, and shoulda coulda woulda didn't get to the CCG.

My point of the exercise? I don't want to hear Texas complaining. They signed up for this system, and every year they complain when they feel they are slighted by it. They needed to take care of business against Tech and didn't.

Very well put.

They did take care of business, they beat OU on a neutral field. The entire BCS is the biggest joke in sports now surpassing even the Tour De France, and I thought that would be difficult. Seriously at this point the NCAA should just go ahead and give the commissioners job to Vince McMahon, at least we could have panty matches at halftime.

They did take care of business, they beat OU on a neutral field. The entire BCS is the biggest joke in sports now surpassing even the Tour De France, and I thought that would be difficult. Seriously at this point the NCAA should just go ahead and give the commissioners job to Vince McMahon, at least we could have panty matches at halftime.

:yeah I like this guy's idea :horns2 It is getting ugly, seeing coaches beg and plead after the game, that is not what their job is, this is getting out of hand.

but here goes anyway.

Well, yeah, that's one side of the argument. You may think it's flawless, but it's far from it. If it was that straight forward, there wouldn't be so much controversy over the subject. However, if I use your logic template:

Oklahoma shoulda coulda woulda didn't take care of business against Texas. They lost, head-to-head, on a neutral field, 45-35. So, not only did Oklahoma lose, but they lost to the very team they jumped ahead of. So, this means that winning head-to-head doesn't make the winner better than the loser? What sense does that make?

I really hope you aren't in favor of a playoff system...

is it me or is it everytime the BCS really screws the pooch it involves our conference?

3 times now the BCS it appears will take an undeserving Big 12 team.

The Mountain West Conference plays better ball then the Big East and now even approaching the Pac 10 and Big 10.

The ACC is sinking just as fast as the US Economy.

Well, yeah, that's one side of the argument. You may think it's flawless, but it's far from it. If it was that straight forward, there wouldn't be so much controversy over the subject. However, if I use your logic template:

Oklahoma shoulda coulda woulda didn't take care of business against Texas. They lost, head-to-head, on a neutral field, 45-35. So, not only did Oklahoma lose, but they lost to the very team they jumped ahead of. So, this means that winning head-to-head doesn't make the winner better than the loser? What sense does that make?

I really hope you aren't in favor of a playoff system...

I hear ya, and understand the argument.

The whole BCS system is a joke, so no, I don't think anything here is flawless - it's anything but. The point is, these are the rules now, and because of the rules, Texas feels slighted. Last year they wanted to lobby for more than 2 teams in the BCS bowl games. It's always "not fair to Texas in some way". Even if playoffs were somehow instituted, someone would still be on the outside looking in. Someone will always feel slighted. Again, these are the current rules and the Big 12 member schools had to basically agree to them, and therefore abide by them.

Side note, unsolicited opinion - I believe that if the two teams replayed at this stage of the season, Oklahoma would win handily, and feel they would represent the Big 12 better in the title game. That is, provided they win the conference championship game. Texas has improved drastically from last year, but still under performing, IMO. Even if this thing doesn't look right on paper to some, it still feels like the best outcome.

For what it's worth: everyone thought Oklahoma would win the first game handily. They didn't.

I think it would be a good game. Texas has a better D then Oklahoma, but Oklahoma has the better offense. Oh well, we will never know.

VA Husker Fan...couldn't the same thing be said about Oklahoma? They didn't take care of business against......TEXAS

For what it's worth: everyone thought Oklahoma would win the first game handily. They didn't.

I think it would be a good game. Texas has a better D then Oklahoma, but Oklahoma has the better offense. Oh well, we will never know.

VA Husker Fan...couldn't the same thing be said about Oklahoma? They didn't take care of business against......TEXAS

Definitely. OU would have absolutely no room to complain if they were behind Texas. All I'm saying is that by losing, Texas failed to make it a slam dunk for them to get in. That doesn't mean that it made OU a slam dunk to get in, it just threw everything up in the air for factors such as the NU-CU outcome to determine the BCS ranking.

If what ifs are in play that one win wouldn't put NU into the BIG 12 CC. Because the whatif's would give MU two more wins. What if KU doesnt score on 4 and 7 with 30 seconds left. What if OKS doesnt score with 1 minute left to take and lead and what if CD doesnt throw a pick as MU is driving to win that game. What if Mu wasnt 8 points from 11-1. What if Mu was 11-1 instead of 9-3. blah blah blah

What if's dont count for S**T and really TT could say, "What if we would have played NU like we did Texas, we would have won by 40 pts"

:)

If what ifs are in play that one win wouldn't put NU into the BIG 12 CC. Because the whatif's would give MU two more wins. What if KU doesnt score on 4 and 7 with 30 seconds left. What if OKS doesnt score with 1 minute left to take and lead and what if CD doesnt throw a pick as MU is driving to win that game. What if Mu wasnt 8 points from 11-1. What if Mu was 11-1 instead of 9-3. blah blah blah

What if's dont count for S**T and really TT could say, "What if we would have played NU like we did Texas, we would have won by 40 pts"

:)

You've illustrated why I normally don't play the what-if game. But, since I've already broken my own rule with this thread, I'll add to your post: Missouri is also 4 points from being 8-4. (In other words, what if Baylor's QB hadn't thrown his first interception of the season?)

so if UT is in the CCG.. then this conversation takes places with TT instead of UT... they feel shafted. Even though they got beat handily by OU, it's a 3 way tie. There has to be some way to break it. What would be more fair.. rankings or coin flip? IMO rankings is a better judge of the "better" team than anything else there would be. OU would beat UT by 21 if they played right now.