What about Steve Logan?

Pretty good coach and from the midwest (Tulsa) too. Took a totally nothing program East Carolina and built it into a solid program. The guy runs a option/passing scheme and uses the type of athletes Nebraska usually has. Here is his record:

Logan time line

The Daily Reflector

Here's a chronological time line of Steve Logan's career with the football program at East Carolina University.

1989 — Logan joins Bill Lewis' staff as a running backs coach. The Pirates finish the season 5-5-1. Prior to coming to Greenville, he held the quarterbacks coach position at Mississippi State for two years.

1990 — Logan becomes ECU's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. The Pirates go 5-6 that season.

1991 — In his second season as offensive coordinator, the Pirates compile their best season in history, finishing 11-1, a Top 10 national ranking and a victory against N.C. State in the Peach Bowl.

1992 — Logan takes over as head coach when Bill Lewis leaves to run the program at Georgia Tech. The Pirates end up with a 5-6 season, a campaign plagued by turnovers and tough breaks. Highlights of the season include road victories at South Carolina and at Pittsburgh and a home win against Virginia Tech.

1993 — Injuries wreaked havoc on the Pirates during Logan's second season. ECU used three freshmen quarterback in 11 games. One of those signal-callers, Marcus Crandell, suffered a broken leg in the second game. ECU finished the season 2-9.

1994 — This is the first season the Pirates finish above .500 under Logan. ECU goes 7-5 and participates in the Liberty Bowl. Illinois defeated ECU 30-0 in the bowl game. Logan is named the All-Independent Coach of the Year by The Associated Press and the Liberty Bowl Alliance Coach of the Year.

1995 — The Pirates conclude Logan's fourth season as head coach with a return trip to the Liberty Bowl. Crandell becomes ECU's all-time leading passer as the Pirates (9-3) defeat Stanford 19-13 in the bowl game. For the second straight season, Logan is named the All-Independent Coach of the Year by The Associated Press and the Liberty Bowl Alliance Coach of the Year.

1996 — Logan and the Pirates enjoyed their third consecutive winning season, a year which included victories against South Carolina and Miami. ECU's 31-6 victory at the Orange Bowl was Miami's most lopsided home loss since 1984. ECU, however, did not receive a bowl invitation. The Pirates (8-3) wraps up the season with a 50-29 victory against N.C. State in Charlotte.

1997 — ECU competed for the first time in Conference USA. Logan's team starts the season 1-5, but wins four out of six games in its new conference.

1998 — The Pirates post their fourth winning season under Logan, going 6-5. ECU records a 3-3 mark in Conference USA, culminated by a school-record 414-yard passing effort by redshirt freshman David Garrard in a victory against Memphis.

1999 — ECU compiles the second 9-3 campaign under Logan, including a trip to the inaugural Mobile Alabama Bowl. The Pirates spend 11 consecutive weeks weeks ranked in the Top 25, a run which included at 27-23 victory over ninth-ranked Miami at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh. The game was moved from Greenville because of the flooding from Hurricane Floyd. On Nov. 20, Logan becomes ECU's all-time leader in coaching victory with a 23-6 win against N.C. State at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium.

2000 — A second-place finish in Conference USA sent Logan's Pirates to the galleryfurniture.com Bowl. ECU defeated Texas Tech 40-27, Logan's second and last victory in a bowl game as head coach. ECU concludes the season with an 8-4 record.

2001 — ECU finishes in second place in Conference USA for the third straight season. The Pirates return to Mobile, Ala., for the GMAC Bowl, which results in a disappointing ending to a 6-6 campaign. Marshall rallies from a 30-point halftime deficit to defeat the Pirates 64-61 in double overtime, the highest-scoring bowl game ever. The loss leaves Logan with a 2-3 record in bowl games.

2002 — Logan suffers through his second-worst season at ECU, compiling a 4-8 record. The Pirates ended up tied for fifth in Conference USA, their worst placement in six season in the league. Logan steps down as head coach on Dec. 7, one day after a 42-26 loss to Cincinnati at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium. Logan wraps up his career with the Pirates with a 69-58 coaching record.

Just a thought, hope you find a coach soon,

cozysooner

interesting. So are you starting this rumor all by yourself cozysooner or did you hear about him as a potential candidate somewhere? just wondering why you thought of him.

sounds like he COULD end up being a great coach if he got a big break ala NU. but like weve discussed before, do we really need to take a chance on a smaller school guy if people like Callahan are interested?

I agree that we should hire the best guy irregardless of big name potential, so if SP felt Logan was that guy then i'd be okay with it.

btw, I was bummed to see your Sooners go down. was pulling for them. hopefully theyre not too pissed off by the time we get to norman next season!

rc

Well Red I was just pondering why this guys name has not come up. He is a good coach and in my opinion (which doesn't amount to much) is a good fit for NU. He likes to run the ball with athletic QBs and isn't afraid to put it in the air if need be. Just looking at what he did with the talent at ECU, I would bet he could bring the Huskers back to NC level.

From an outsiders point of view, it seems your AD is looking to make a statement like OU did with Schnellenberger and we all know how that ended up.

Good Luck!

cozysooner

One young hot Coach that has not been mentioned is here in SC at Clemson.

Tommy has really turned this program around. If you can recruit kids to come to the rural part of SC.

I believe if he could also be up for the job at LSU if Saban were to leave for the NFL. He has ties to the state of La.

Just a thought.

I see sooner, thx for the explanation. thanks for looking out.

ah yes... schnellberger. yes we've already thought of the Gibbs-Solich parallels. not a pretty concept.

not a bad thought huskerinsc. but didnt tuberville just get a huge extension? dont think SP is looking to buy the farm on the new coach based on the neg reaction from husker nation after he couldnt GIVE away those suitcases full of 2.5 million dollar bills. any takers? anyone?!!! ferris? dammit! somone take our money already!!!

Well all of Baton Rouge is holding thier collective breath waiting for the NFL jobs to fill up. It looks like the only real push may be coming from the Bears. Saban has ties to Bear's GM Angelo, but LSU is making the bid to keep Saban happy. Some leaks have come out that LSU is offering Saban in the 3 million range for 6 years. Now I don't know if the $$$ is accurate, but I would think with all of the "incentives" added in as well as support from the fundraising wing of the athletic department that $3 mill may be pretty close.

It seems like a whole lot to pay a coach, but when you look at the money that Saban is bringing into the university it really is fair market value. For example, 2 years ago the athletic department pulled in around $900,000 in royalties from athletic merchandise. Last year that jumped to around $1.2 mill. They are projecting around $2 - $2.5mill.

This doesn't even take into account that LSU will begin a per seat donation fee for all season tickets next year. This is possible mostly due to the fact that Saban and resurrected the program. IMHO, give him whatever he wants to stay...hell I'll even mow his lawn!

One more note about Logan for Nizz. He resigned at ECU after the 2002 season and did some radio work for 3 or 4 Army football games this year. Still had a few years on his deal that is being paid out. With all the openings this year, I can't believe that no one has called this guy with the success he had in the past.

Although it pains me to say it, congrats on the NC. Lots of 2nd guessing going on in the Sooner Nation about pulling White during the game, seems most think they know more than Stoops about coaching. No way he was going to pull Jason; LSU's defense was in our offenses head all night and OU did not need to bring in an unexperienced QB in to face that.

Later,

cozysooner

Best hit of that day for Nebraska!

Huskers' Huston to face peace disturbance charge

January 6, 2004

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) -- Nebraska football player Kellen Huston was charged Tuesday for punching a fan on the field after a loss to Missouri on Oct. 11.

Boone County assistant prosecutor Richard Hicks said Huston has agreed to plead guilty to peace disturbance by fighting. Huston's attorney, Milt Harper of Columbia, said he would appear on Huston's behalf in county court Wednesday.

``We expect this to get resolved quickly,'' Harper said. ``Everybody believes it was an unfortunate event.''

The misdemeanor is punishable by one day to six months in jail, a fine of $1 to $500, or both.

Huston, the Huskers' holder, punched 21-year-old Matthew Scott of Lee's Summit, Mo., in the face as fans stormed the field. At least two television stations captured the incident on videotape.

Scott's attorney, John Picerno of Kansas City, Mo., said Scott required surgery for a broken nose.

Picerno said he is negotiating a settlement with attorneys for the University of Nebraska and Huston.

Picerno said Scott is seeking compensation for medical costs, pain and suffering and special damages.

Guest WyomingHusker

I thought Himler Pederson wanted a WOW coach! This guy isn't wow material. He was fired for Christs sake! We get a second hand hand me down when we could have Turner or Bo! I would suffer through one or two so-so seasons to have Bo or Turner intil they got on their feet. I was gone all week and am catching up on the Huskers continuing saga!

I thought Himler Pederson wanted a WOW coach! This guy isn't wow material. He was fired for Christs sake! We get a second hand hand me down when we could have Turner or Bo! I would suffer through one or two so-so seasons to have Bo or Turner intil they got on their feet. I was gone all week and am catching up on the Huskers continuing saga!

Do you watch NFL football or have a bearing on how the pro game works? People

get fired all the time, even if the season was not their fault. This guy took his team

to the Super Bowl last year and that just doesn't happen. The Raiders have a crazy

old lady for a owner and a half dozen pricks that got him fired because they don't realize

that they themselves suck. Read up and get back to us on Callahan.

I really think Bo is gone and I didn't want him to leave. I am almost positive he

will if he doesn't get the job. The feeling that I get is that his interview was everything

but. When asked if he was interviewed, he said "I guess you could call it that."

Doesn't leave me with warm fuzzies.

Oh, and we all know you don't like Pederson. You can give it a rest now.

noooo, I thought WyHus was the president of the Stevie P fan club? just when you think you know someone...

actually WyHus I would disagree that BC is not a WOW guy. he is the closest thing to that outta all the candidates so far, even thou its obvious SP isnt too concerned with wowing anyone. and Im not so sure that is paramount either. like I believe cozysooner said, OU tried to WOW the people after they fired Gibbs - enter Schnellenberger....... & exit OU for 10 years.