Don't have a DVR OMG, here is some info!

Ok, I know this will probably be moved!

But I see some people out there still not jumping on the DVR (digital video recorder) band wagon. For a Hardcore Football Fans this is a must have! Rewind as many times as you like, watch in slow motion or hit a 30 second skip and you can go through a recorded football game in an hour! (FYI the 30 second skip doesn't work for teams with a hurry up offense! :angry: ) I Also just want to help some of you technically challenged people out there and bring others even more info.

Note: This is from a computer geeks perspective from Omaha! :)

Note2: I can't spell or write so you Left brain @sses can kiss my @ss ahead of time, but enjoy the info! :nutz

In order from Worst to Best IMO.

7. VCR tape, Old technology but still works, but hard for some to set up!

6. TiVo Series 1, Bullet proof, Not HD, $75-$100 on eBay, and $12-$16 Monthly fee, easy menu, Lifetime available (no Monthly fee).

5. Media Center, NOT Bullet proof at all! HD capable, no monthly fees. This is still a computer and you still get the bugs a computer has. You can add Dual tuner, surround sound, But you can do allot with it, record and watch TV, listen to all your songs, play DVDs, look at all your Pictures, browse the web and check emails! FYI: for my Son's Birthday I played a slideshow of him while playing music at the same time. (My Media Center sits right next to my TV in the living room!) But one really good thing is, you can watch Movies ((Xvids (compressed movies) downloaded from the internet, Paid for of course!:) )

4. Cox's High Definition DVR (cable company's DVR for 9 bucks extra a month) Bullet Proof, this is HD, Dual tuner (record two channels at the same time) Great for the DVR beginner! Limited Menu, can't transfer to another DVR or copy to PC for safe keeping! Limited HD space.

3. TiVo Series 2, not HD Bullet Proof, $75-$100 on eBay, $12-$16 monthly fee, HD upgradable, lifetime available. Easy setup, great menu, transfer shows to PC for saving, transfer to your second TiVo in your bedroom. Play music off your PC, order pizza right from the menu, and a few other things. Example of transfering: Your watching your show in the living room, you get tired and go the bedroom, you turn on your Tivo in the bedroom and you click transfer. The Tivo asks "do you want to transfer from where you left off?" Fricking sweet! Oh and when you record a football game it askes do you want to add time just incase it goes over??

2. Tivo Series 2 Dual tuner, Bullet Proof, Not HD, $85-$120 on ebay, $12-$16 monthly fee, everything else same as series 2 but your able to record two shows at once.

1. Tivo Series 3, dual tuner, Bullet Proof, This is HD, two different models, one is THX certified sound the other is not, This is the ultimate DVR, I've seen some on Ebay sell for $800 with 1000 hrs of record time with lifetime (no monthly fee)

In conclusion:

The Cable company's DVR is probably best for most, but people that want a little more the Tivo has a large following (due mostly to its easy menu system). And for the computer geek, knock yourself out on the Media Center but be ready to reboot twice a week and pay big bucks for all the bells and whistles. The Tivo is almost Bullet proof except for the Hard drive but the Series 3 would be the cats meow if you have the money!!

Satellite: Not sure what they are doing now, I believe one of the companies use to have a dual tuner Tivo but dropped them and have their own now!

From my experience:

3a (between 3 and 4) The newest DirectTv DVR (both HD and non-HD)

2a The old DirectTv non-HD DVR

1a The new DishNetwork HD DVR (closer to 2 than 1) - I really, really liked this DVR. The only thing missing was the Suggestions recordings from the TiVo boxes.

Note: I've only used the TiVo series 3 in the store, but I've had experience with all the others or equivalents.

Edit: The cable company DVR's are great if you've never used a better DVR before but are extremely frustrating if you're used to better technology.

Question for you, since I'm electronically challenged. I have a DVR through Direct Tv. I have several games on the DVR that I would like to transfer to tape and then eventually I will put all of my collection (goes back to 1987) on dvd. How do I go about ripping from the DVR to VHS? :blink:

I'm not really familiar with any of the Direct TV's or the Disk Networks DVRs (unless its a tivo one) but you can always just hit play and pump it through your VHS. Just have to make sure you have the channels synced, 3 or 4. (that was my short version, if you need more let me know!)

Edit: The cable company DVR's are great if you've never used a better DVR before but are extremely frustrating if you're used to better technology.

Amen to that!

Question for you, since I'm electronically challenged. I have a DVR through Direct Tv. I have several games on the DVR that I would like to transfer to tape and then eventually I will put all of my collection (goes back to 1987) on dvd. How do I go about ripping from the DVR to VHS? :blink:

I'm not really familiar with any of the Direct TV's or the Disk Networks DVRs (unless its a tivo one) but you can always just hit play and pump it through your VHS. Just have to make sure you have the channels synced, 3 or 4. (that was my short version, if you need more let me know!)

Amen to that!

Thanks alot! I'll give that a shot and see if I can pull it off. I'll be sure to get ahold of ya and let ya know :thumbs