NU vs Clemson

HSKRNOKC

I have watched every clemson game this yr. and have been to 2 and their QB sucks

This is inaccurate. The ACC does not have the caliber of QBs that the Big 12 does, but Harper is one of the top two or three QBs in the league. For the first 7 or 8 games this year, his throwing was affected by a shoulder injury that now seems to have healed and surely will have healed by bowl time. Last year, Harper's numbers included 27 TDs and just 6 picks, so he can get the job done when healthy.

This will be an interesting matchup. The ACC has been down for 4 or 5 years largely because of the weakness at QB. I saw one of your fans quip that FSU has been mediocre since Chris Weinke "turned 65" and graduated around 2000, and that is entirely accurate. The Rix experiment was a failure, and they've been weak at the position since then. Miami has also had QB troubles, and so has VPI since Michael Vick left 6 or 7 years ago. NC State had Philip Rivers from 2000 to 2003, followed by terrible QBs until Russell Wilson took over this year. Maryland had a kid you probably never heard of from 2000-2003, Scott McBrien, who was apparently better than most gave him credit since has been all but irreplaceable. You get the picture.

At the same time the defense has been outstanding, and the ACC has been right behind the SEC in sending players to the NFL even during this down period.

In contrast to the ACC, obviously, the Big 12 has quarterbacks in spades. Ganz gets overlooked by some, but there's no doubt he'd be among the best in the ACC. We will get to see how he does against a defense that may (or may not) be better than any defense in the Big 12. There has been a lot of talk about Clemson's "backfield" -- meaning Spiller, Davis, and sometimes Harper -- from your fans and ours, but when I think of Clemson's "backfield", the first thing that comes to mind is Clemson's DBs. I won't cite Clemson's pass efficiency stats, since they are compiled against a pretty poor group of QBs, but these guys are probably among the top five units in the country. Our sack numbers have improved lately but we have had trouble getting to the QB this year, making the secondary's play all the more impressive. Of course, with the departure of our defensive coordinator, things could look very different when the bowl game rolls around.

In short, our strengths are, in order: (1) tailbacks, (2) DBs, both safeties and corners, (3) QB, now that he's healthy, and (4) DL, despite the disappointing sack figure. Weaknesses are (1) OL, though improving, (2) linebackers, who are young and also improving.

And this is what worries me. PLUS THE SPEED! CU went down to FSU and the 'noles just ran circles around them.

I don't think any NE Fan should be taking this game lighlty, as some seem to be. I see us as a slight dawg in this one.

Maybe I'm wrong.

i too see us as the dawg in this one, but the list he put forth really plays in our favor i think.

our strengths in order 1) D-line 2) QB 3) WR 4) RB 5) o-line..... our LBs and DBs are hit and miss so we'll just see how hit or miss they are on jan. 1st

I think it's the speed we'll have to adapt to. Probably will take a qtr or so for that.

Clemson Alum from Missouri here, so I'm well acquainted with both Clemson and the Big XII. That being the case, I think the speed thing is valid. I'm not saying that Clemson is so fast that every player is going to make Nebraska look slow, but you really do have to worry about Ford and Spiller. They are both really, really fast. To put it in terms you guys certainly know, they're Jeremy Maclin fast, no joke. I'm not saying Ford is as good as Maclin because he's not, but he's as fast. Spiller on the other hand, is closer to Maclin talent - he's scary in space. For those reasons, I think speed will be a factor after watching the Mizzou-Nebraska game.

I have watched every clemson game this yr. and have been to 2 and their QB sucks

This is inaccurate. The ACC does not have the caliber of QBs that the Big 12 does, but Harper is one of the top two or three QBs in the league. For the first 7 or 8 games this year, his throwing was affected by a shoulder injury that now seems to have healed and surely will have healed by bowl time. Last year, Harper's numbers included 27 TDs and just 6 picks, so he can get the job done when healthy.

This will be an interesting matchup. The ACC has been down for 4 or 5 years largely because of the weakness at QB. I saw one of your fans quip that FSU has been mediocre since Chris Weinke "turned 65" and graduated around 2000, and that is entirely accurate. The Rix experiment was a failure, and they've been weak at the position since then. Miami has also had QB troubles, and so has VPI since Michael Vick left 6 or 7 years ago. NC State had Philip Rivers from 2000 to 2003, followed by terrible QBs until Russell Wilson took over this year. Maryland had a kid you probably never heard of from 2000-2003, Scott McBrien, who was apparently better than most gave him credit since has been all but irreplaceable. You get the picture.

At the same time the defense has been outstanding, and the ACC has been right behind the SEC in sending players to the NFL even during this down period.

In contrast to the ACC, obviously, the Big 12 has quarterbacks in spades. Ganz gets overlooked by some, but there's no doubt he'd be among the best in the ACC. We will get to see how he does against a defense that may (or may not) be better than any defense in the Big 12. There has been a lot of talk about Clemson's "backfield" -- meaning Spiller, Davis, and sometimes Harper -- from your fans and ours, but when I think of Clemson's "backfield", the first thing that comes to mind is Clemson's DBs. I won't cite Clemson's pass efficiency stats, since they are compiled against a pretty poor group of QBs, but these guys are probably among the top five units in the country. Our sack numbers have improved lately but we have had trouble getting to the QB this year, making the secondary's play all the more impressive. Of course, with the departure of our defensive coordinator, things could look very different when the bowl game rolls around.

In short, our strengths are, in order: (1) tailbacks, (2) DBs, both safeties and corners, (3) QB, now that he's healthy, and (4) DL, despite the disappointing sack figure. Weaknesses are (1) OL, though improving, (2) linebackers, who are young and also improving.

And this is what worries me. PLUS THE SPEED! CU went down to FSU and the 'noles just ran circles around them.

I don't think any NE Fan should be taking this game lighlty, as some seem to be. I see us as a slight dawg in this one.

Maybe I'm wrong.

i too see us as the dawg in this one, but the list he put forth really plays in our favor i think.

our strengths in order 1) D-line 2) QB 3) WR 4) RB 5) o-line..... our LBs and DBs are hit and miss so we'll just see how hit or miss they are on jan. 1st

I think it's the speed we'll have to adapt to. Probably will take a qtr or so for that.

Clemson Alum from Missouri here, so I'm well acquainted with both Clemson and the Big XII. That being the case, I think the speed thing is valid. I'm not saying that Clemson is so fast that every player is going to make Nebraska look slow, but you really do have to worry about Ford and Spiller. They are both really, really fast. To put it in terms you guys certainly know, they're Jeremy Maclin fast, no joke. I'm not saying Ford is as good as Maclin because he's not, but he's as fast. Spiller on the other hand, is closer to Maclin talent - he's scary in space. For those reasons, I think speed will be a factor after watching the Mizzou-Nebraska game.

I agree that speed will be a factor.. I can tell you that our D line has a chemistry and swagger that they did not have going into Mizzou. we have been very tough on the run especially upfront. If anything it has been the secondary especially the safeties that have cost us on D.

I think that stopping the run is our strength..

...I just have a chronic dread of going to FL and playing a fast southeastern team. Too many bad memories from the FSU/MIA yrs. Clemson beat us back then too, when we were rated like #1, based on their speed.

I may be wrong, but if memory serves, Clemson was the last undefeated team that year and thus ranked #1..I think we were #4, but a 10 point favourite.

#s 2 and 3 had lost earlier that day, so it was a "winner take all".

Seems like they had this crazy notion of lining up a Defensive Lineman (or appliance?) up at Running Back or something.

Maybe I'm thinking of later on when he was with "Da Bearsss".

Please check your

High illiteracy rate

confederate flags

poor dental hygiene

bible thumping

racism

...at the door.

Thank you. <_<

Seriously?

The dude comes here with a classy message to discuss the game, and you post that response? I just don't understand some people.

:yeah

Easy Ladies...

Axhole's probably just trying to identify the obvious steriotypes before someone beats him to it. (Or before one of them uses any of them to describe us).

BTW..I keep forgetting what "Y'all" means :dumdum

Actually that is on par for most of his posts. But I like how you redubbed him. ;)

Welcome Clemson fans! I look forward to the Huskers exorcising the memories of Danny Ford!

Yeah..I hope I wasn't too hard on the Beave'

Sorry for the "Axhole" thing..I always wondered how you picked that name..figured you probably wouldn't mind an almost humorous attack on the person? that sued you..(Foley from BH Cop? or Rose from GNR?)

And to all you Clemsonites!

Thank you so much for posting here...You're making this upcoming Bowl much more interesting for me.

I am a little dissapointed neither of us are in the top 10 or even 25..But it looks like it should be a great game and if you are representative of Tigger fans, looks like a great fanbase, too.

Just one Question...

Why'd you get rid of "Tammy"?

I pretty much always respected Bobby Bowden as a coach, and felt his kids would be pretty good, too.

I'm sure you guys are getting tired of this CJ Spiller talk but I just wanted to post a couple of videos for you guys to look at. He's just fun to watch IMO...

-Video from his freshman year against GT. Note that this squad finished in the top 10 in total D & coached by one of the top coordinators in John Tenuta.

I remember watching that run vs GT and thinking, 'wow, that guy is friggin' GOOD!' Cool run! :thumbs

scares me..brings back memories of "Sooner Magic"

ZNnTYNHHP-8&NR=1

...I just have a chronic dread of going to FL and playing a fast southeastern team. Too many bad memories from the FSU/MIA yrs. Clemson beat us back then too, when we were rated like #1, based on their speed.

I may be wrong, but if memory serves, Clemson was the last undefeated team that year and thus ranked #1..I think we were #4, but a 10 point favourite. #s 2 and 3 had lost earlier that day, so it was a "winner take all".

Seems like they had this crazy notion of lining up a Defensive Lineman (or appliance?) up at Running Back or something.

Maybe I'm thinking of later on when he was with "Da Bearsss".

And you would be correct...

I'm sure you guys are getting tired of this CJ Spiller talk but I just wanted to post a couple of videos for you guys to look at. He's just fun to watch IMO...

-Video from his freshman year against GT. Note that this squad finished in the top 10 in total D & coached by one of the top coordinators in John Tenuta.

I remember watching that run vs GT and thinking, 'wow, that guy is friggin' GOOD!' Cool run! :thumbs

scares me..brings back memories of "Sooner Magic"

ZNnTYNHHP-8&NR=1

I was standing right behind(near the endzone) the Sooners when they pulled that flea flicker off on us back in '76(?). True heartbreaker...

If Spiller is contained by the Nebraska defense, we (Clemson) is in trouble. I for one would love to see a heavy dose of James Davis seeing as though he needs somewhere around 112 to be the all-time leading rusher at Clemson. I expect a tough, physical game, and I am honored to be playing someone with the tradition as you guys. Looking forward to a great game, and an even better time in Jax.

And pardon my ignorance, but what are the black shirts in reference to? If anyone can send me a link so I can read up on it, I don't expect you guys to type it all there unless you want to. But I love reading up on traditions, so any help would be appreciated.

If Spiller is contained by the Nebraska defense, we (Clemson) is in trouble. I for one would love to see a heavy dose of James Davis seeing as though he needs somewhere around 112 to be the all-time leading rusher at Clemson. I expect a tough, physical game, and I am honored to be playing someone with the tradition as you guys. Looking forward to a great game, and an even better time in Jax.

And pardon my ignorance, but what are the black shirts in reference to? If anyone can send me a link so I can read up on it, I don't expect you guys to type it all there unless you want to. But I love reading up on traditions, so any help would be appreciated.

Blackshirts Link

Blackshirts Link

Thanks a bunch!

Blackshirts Link

Thanks a bunch!

;):thumbs