Future of Mizzou

Husker_x

It could be just coach speak, but I doubt it. Pinkel has stated what I believe most TRUE Tiger fans also.

He has stated that everything Mu wanted is still in front of them. In his own words. Why would a NC be our goal when we havent won the Big 12 yet. First things first.

Mu won the north again. They have won atleast 9 games. Go back a number of years and offer that to someone and see if they would take it. I am dissapointed MU lost to KU not at the season. The D didnt live up to the hype this year. If they had played like they did last year who knows, but they didnt. I am still happy with the season to this point.

Now Husker X,

There is no way for you to know what is in store for MU in the future and what players may play there. It took Nebraska 23 year to Win it all after the 71 season. Would you call those 23 yrs a dissapointment. Would you say during someof those like say, ' 78' , "if not now, WHEN"

Who is too say that Daniel will be the best ever?? People thought Brad Smith was the best MU QB ever until 2 years ago. Most people thought Martin Rucker was the best TE ever until this year. Kellen Winslow before him. Mel Grey was the best ever all around player and MU intil Maclin. There could be a player on the roster now ready to take over. Or maybe a soph. in HS will be the guy, or maybe my 3 year-old son is the next superstar.

You asked what people thought would happen at MU, I gave my opinion. You have no clue about what is there. By your own admission you dont know what they are losing beyond the big names. nor do you know they number of young player that have seen significant time in nearly every game this year. (BTW is about the same plan GP took in 2005, playing the young guys he know would be replacing multi-year starters) I would argue that MU has better players than NE, even losing the players mentioned. So what if Mu goes and gets a new D cord. like I want them to? Do you change your story and say Mu could dominate? Or will they always just be MU to you?? Because considering Mu has more talent, a good coach will automatically make them better right...

I'm not trying to be rude, but you don't seem to get what I'm trying to say here. It took Osborne about forever to get the big one, but how many conference championships and big bowl appearances were in between those years? Lots. But again, I'm not talking about Nebraska. I'm talking about this, very simple:

Missouri's best team in history (so far) shares the North division crown with Nebraska, loses to an average Kansas team, and probably gets whipped by every decent south team they play. There is a tandem on offense that anyone in the nation would love to have, one so rare it might be a decade before you see them again. If Pinkel can't get it done with what he has, why does anyone expect them to do it anytime in the near future? Maybe there's three more Maclin's on the depth chart. Sure, it's possible, but so is winning the lottery right as you're being struck by lightning. We're talking bad odds, bro. Mizzou watched the parade go by. That's my point. They had the best shot they're likely to see for awhile.

Hell, maybe Mizzou wins the big one in 23 years. I don't know if Pinkel lasts that long after blowing this season, though. Consistency is the goal for your program at this point. Maybe they can keep in the 9 win bracket, but they're barely going to manage that with the amazing talent they have now. We'll see. Best of luck.

Last years team was probably the best. Consistancy is what you were talking about. You, i believe, said MU would be scrapping along the bottom. fighting off the likes of KState and Iowa State for last place. I believe MU has yet to reach their full potential. THey are losing good players yes, they have good players now that will be there next year as well. All I stated in my first post was, MU will NOT go back to winning 3-4 games a year. I quite honestly could care less about arguing about NC's. Mu has yet to win a conference title. I am flippin happy to have a consitantly winning team. You have to build bro. you should know this being a NU fan. It doesnt come easy. My point, was on your point. Will MU crash and burn. The answer to that question is no.

Btw on your "best team ever" point. The best team ever for a team that went 18 years between bowls and had 3 winning seasons in a stretch from 82-02 isnt quite the same as the greatest Husker teams ever. NU had alot of great teams that didnt win a NC. So to come with that kind of weak crap is silly. "oh look MU couldn't win a NC with their greastest team ever". Oh look, I can probably rattle of atleast 10 schools in the last 7 or 8 years that had probably their greatest teams and didnt win, including USC '05'. That point your trying to make is not only stupid, but a worthless arguement. I am not trying to be rude or come off as an ass, but it doest make any sense. It doesnt take a whole lot to be the best team MU has fielded since 1960. Hell if this team doesnt win the big 12 the one that does will pass it for the best. Or the one that makes the BCS will pass it, so on and so on. Like I said, you and I have no idea who is coming up and may one day play for MU or may already be on the roster. One day CD may be a footnote of a player who helped a building program get started. Or maybe he will be know as the player who lifted MU for 3 year before, as you husker fans like to say, they went back to being Missouri.

I doubt it though....

There are a few things that The USC guys overlook. Who can blame them. They are total homers. Not to mention they know almost nothing about the other teams they bash on.

Pinkel for those who dont know is an offensive coach. The O cord. at UWash for 10+ seasons, the O cord for the national championship team. Set the O at Toledo and Missouri (all 3 times) Christiansen is talented. But If he was a super star wouldn't he have been gathered up by someone else by now. He has been on GP's staff since he was hired by Pinkel as a line coach at UW. He is getting his shot, good for him. But to act like he takes all offensive knowledge with him is freakin stupid.

As for where Mu goes from this point on. That as caveman and huskertrucker said, lies on the QB and the next 2 years really. Mu was not a flash in the pan. They have improved their program for about 8 years now. They climbed slowly. Winning games they used to lose, and losing less in that ol "mizzou" way. YOu have to remember where MU was. Maybe 3 wins a year. They are not going back to that. They have too much talent to suck like that again. FOR the last 5 seasons they have gotten the majority of the top kids in state. There are alot of them that are good. If you look at MU's roster, you will see the majority of their main players are instate kids. THey have continued to get their type of players from texas and surrounding areas. Because of the more recent high level sucsess they have pulled players they couldn't have gotten before.

I have no reason to believe that Mu should not be a 8-9 win team almost every year with some ups and downs tossed in. They have done that for the last few years (minus 04, which I am sure everyone agrees sucked because they tried to turn Smith into a drop back passer).

Really for most it is a case of not paying attention. Most of you know nothing/to very little about MU. You assume things and have no backing for them. Mu will suck because...but then you turn that into a positive for your own team. Every thing you say about MU could be said about NU. Mu will be down because of no Daniel (NU will be down because of no Ganz) Mu loses offensive playmakers ( NU loses more offesive playmakers) MU's D will suck worse because of guys leaving (Nu's D will suck worse becuase they are going to count on a team half full of RS who have never taken a snap in college)

Just like there is no reason for me to believe MU will fall of the map, there is no reason why i should believe that Nu is the team to beat next year when everyone who made your team good will be gone with the exception of Suh and Helu. How many games does NU win without Ganz, Peterson and Swift. 6, 5, maybe 4.

So we know nothing about MU, but you can you something about NU? The last sentence of your post is your opinion that we will suck because all we return is Suh and Helu. You just judged our team, after saying we shouldn't judge MU.

There are a few things that The USC guys overlook. Who can blame them. They are total homers. Not to mention they know almost nothing about the other teams they bash on.

Pinkel for those who dont know is an offensive coach. The O cord. at UWash for 10+ seasons, the O cord for the national championship team. Set the O at Toledo and Missouri (all 3 times) Christiansen is talented. But If he was a super star wouldn't he have been gathered up by someone else by now. He has been on GP's staff since he was hired by Pinkel as a line coach at UW. He is getting his shot, good for him. But to act like he takes all offensive knowledge with him is freakin stupid.

As for where Mu goes from this point on. That as caveman and huskertrucker said, lies on the QB and the next 2 years really. Mu was not a flash in the pan. They have improved their program for about 8 years now. They climbed slowly. Winning games they used to lose, and losing less in that ol "mizzou" way. YOu have to remember where MU was. Maybe 3 wins a year. They are not going back to that. They have too much talent to suck like that again. FOR the last 5 seasons they have gotten the majority of the top kids in state. There are alot of them that are good. If you look at MU's roster, you will see the majority of their main players are instate kids. THey have continued to get their type of players from texas and surrounding areas. Because of the more recent high level sucsess they have pulled players they couldn't have gotten before.

I have no reason to believe that Mu should not be a 8-9 win team almost every year with some ups and downs tossed in. They have done that for the last few years (minus 04, which I am sure everyone agrees sucked because they tried to turn Smith into a drop back passer).

Really for most it is a case of not paying attention. Most of you know nothing/to very little about MU. You assume things and have no backing for them. Mu will suck because...but then you turn that into a positive for your own team. Every thing you say about MU could be said about NU. Mu will be down because of no Daniel (NU will be down because of no Ganz) Mu loses offensive playmakers ( NU loses more offesive playmakers) MU's D will suck worse because of guys leaving (Nu's D will suck worse becuase they are going to count on a team half full of RS who have never taken a snap in college)

Just like there is no reason for me to believe MU will fall of the map, there is no reason why i should believe that Nu is the team to beat next year when everyone who made your team good will be gone with the exception of Suh and Helu. How many games does NU win without Ganz, Peterson and Swift. 6, 5, maybe 4.

homers? are you effing kidding me? maybe you aren't thinking of Kugler when you're talking about this? You realize the guy travels around the nation calling football games? He's seen PLENTY of football.. guy knows a little bit about what he's talking about. Just because they aren't saying Mizzou is going to be great, don't cry. They say how they truly feel, they are not nebraska c*ck suckers.

homers? are you effing kidding me? maybe you aren't thinking of Kugler when you're talking about this? You realize the guy travels around the nation calling football games? He's seen PLENTY of football.. guy knows a little bit about what he's talking about. Just because they aren't saying Mizzou is going to be great, don't cry. They say how they truly feel, they are not nebraska c*ck suckers.

Kugler is an absolute homer. Do you not listen to the show at all. Just because you call games across the country doesnt mean anything. That dude has his head so far up Nebraska's butt it is not even funny. THey cater to their listeners. They talk about how great NE is all the damn time. I could care less about if they talk about MU, but some unbiased sports talk would be refreshing. Thats why everyone hated Matt P. when he first came here. All he did was bash on NE for not being a very good team. But I am fairly certain he drinks more kool-aid then USC does combined now (probably doesnt help that Justice is on with him now). To each there own, but man if you can seriously look in the mirror and tell yourself that those two are not homers, then I have some ocean front property I would like to sell you just a few miles from Grand Island... <_<

So we know nothing about MU, but you can you something about NU? The last sentence of your post is your opinion that we will suck because all we return is Suh and Helu. You just judged our team, after saying we shouldn't judge MU.

if you know something about MU and give a scoop, I'm fine with it. Some people know, some dont. I have heard enough out of USC to know they dont have a clue beyond Daniel and Maclin. I listened while they talked about Weatherspoon (who is an all conference player) referring to him as Witherton and Witterspoon, about how he is a senior (he is a junior) and how he plays Middle backer (he plays outside). This went on for a good 5-10 minutes. They are clueless about teams other than NE, but talk about the other teams like they are experts. I have had plenty of conversations with guys/gals on this site that know a good amount about Tiger football. I dont have to agree but I respect what your going to say If you atleast know what you are talking about. It would be no different if I came on this site and bashed NE just because and had no backing. You might not like what I have to say, that is your right. But I DO know about your team. I watch your games. I talk about the Huskers almost as much as I do MU. I would say I am pretty keyed into your program and team. I dont know everything, but more than enough to form my own, educated opinions on Husker football.

My point was the "mu is losing this so they will suck" arguement. All I said was without your QB and the guys that have accounted for half your receptions, yards and passing TD's your team has what exactly? All i did was point out that its pretty dumb to just assume that NE will be great while lossing all their playmakers but 2 (Suh and Helu), but using that same reason to down grade another team that acctually returns more playmakers than NE.

***EDIT***

I will give you Paul also. He has yet to do enough to blow me away as a WR, but he brings an all around game with returns as well. Plus he is pretty fast, so that doesnt hurt either ;)

It could be just coach speak, but I doubt it. Pinkel has stated what I believe most TRUE Tiger fans also.

He has stated that everything Mu wanted is still in front of them. In his own words. Why would a NC be our goal when we havent won the Big 12 yet. First things first.

Mu won the north again. They have won atleast 9 games. Go back a number of years and offer that to someone and see if they would take it. I am dissapointed MU lost to KU not at the season. The D didnt live up to the hype this year. If they had played like they did last year who knows, but they didnt. I am still happy with the season to this point.

Now Husker X,

There is no way for you to know what is in store for MU in the future and what players may play there. It took Nebraska 23 year to Win it all after the 71 season. Would you call those 23 yrs a dissapointment. Would you say during someof those like say, ' 78' , "if not now, WHEN"

Who is too say that Daniel will be the best ever?? People thought Brad Smith was the best MU QB ever until 2 years ago. Most people thought Martin Rucker was the best TE ever until this year. Kellen Winslow before him. Mel Grey was the best ever all around player and MU intil Maclin. There could be a player on the roster now ready to take over. Or maybe a soph. in HS will be the guy, or maybe my 3 year-old son is the next superstar.

You asked what people thought would happen at MU, I gave my opinion. You have no clue about what is there. By your own admission you dont know what they are losing beyond the big names. nor do you know they number of young player that have seen significant time in nearly every game this year. (BTW is about the same plan GP took in 2005, playing the young guys he know would be replacing multi-year starters) I would argue that MU has better players than NE, even losing the players mentioned. So what if Mu goes and gets a new D cord. like I want them to? Do you change your story and say Mu could dominate? Or will they always just be MU to you?? Because considering Mu has more talent, a good coach will automatically make them better right...

I'm not trying to be rude, but you don't seem to get what I'm trying to say here. It took Osborne about forever to get the big one, but how many conference championships and big bowl appearances were in between those years? Lots. But again, I'm not talking about Nebraska. I'm talking about this, very simple:

Missouri's best team in history (so far) shares the North division crown with Nebraska, loses to an average Kansas team, and probably gets whipped by every decent south team they play. There is a tandem on offense that anyone in the nation would love to have, one so rare it might be a decade before you see them again. If Pinkel can't get it done with what he has, why does anyone expect them to do it anytime in the near future? Maybe there's three more Maclin's on the depth chart. Sure, it's possible, but so is winning the lottery right as you're being struck by lightning. We're talking bad odds, bro. Mizzou watched the parade go by. That's my point. They had the best shot they're likely to see for awhile.

Hell, maybe Mizzou wins the big one in 23 years. I don't know if Pinkel lasts that long after blowing this season, though. Consistency is the goal for your program at this point. Maybe they can keep in the 9 win bracket, but they're barely going to manage that with the amazing talent they have now. We'll see. Best of luck.

Last years team was probably the best. Consistancy is what you were talking about. You, i believe, said MU would be scrapping along the bottom. fighting off the likes of KState and Iowa State for last place. I believe MU has yet to reach their full potential. THey are losing good players yes, they have good players now that will be there next year as well. All I stated in my first post was, MU will NOT go back to winning 3-4 games a year. I quite honestly could care less about arguing about NC's. Mu has yet to win a conference title. I am flippin happy to have a consitantly winning team. You have to build bro. you should know this being a NU fan. It doesnt come easy. My point, was on your point. Will MU crash and burn. The answer to that question is no.

Btw on your "best team ever" point. The best team ever for a team that went 18 years between bowls and had 3 winning seasons in a stretch from 82-02 isnt quite the same as the greatest Husker teams ever. NU had alot of great teams that didnt win a NC. So to come with that kind of weak crap is silly. "oh look MU couldn't win a NC with their greastest team ever". Oh look, I can probably rattle of atleast 10 schools in the last 7 or 8 years that had probably their greatest teams and didnt win, including USC '05'. That point your trying to make is not only stupid, but a worthless arguement. I am not trying to be rude or come off as an ass, but it doest make any sense. It doesnt take a whole lot to be the best team MU has fielded since 1960. Hell if this team doesnt win the big 12 the one that does will pass it for the best. Or the one that makes the BCS will pass it, so on and so on. Like I said, you and I have no idea who is coming up and may one day play for MU or may already be on the roster. One day CD may be a footnote of a player who helped a building program get started. Or maybe he will be know as the player who lifted MU for 3 year before, as you husker fans like to say, they went back to being Missouri.

I doubt it though....

I doubt it, too. I never meant to insinuate that MU's future is 3-4 win seasons. If Husker fans think that, they're delusional. I do believe MU is in for a rough road next season. You do plan on starting Gabbert, right? I realize NU is in the same boat with QBs, however the ones we have have been in the system for several years (which, of course, changes big time if Green comes in and starts). When I said MU would 'probably never' reach the top, that was meant to be sarcastic. Of course nobody knows the future.

But my point is completely solid. If MU fails to win the Big XII––which in all probability they will––it's a pretty sh**ty pill to swallow in terms of the next couple of years. Maybe I'm just overestimating Daniel/Maclin/Coffman. Maybe they aren't the cat's pajamas after all. But to me it's not just having one or two good athletes on the roster––that happens all the time. But having three talents like that who mesh so well, that is a real rarity. I get the impression that you think another triumvirate of passing is just waiting in the wings. MU doesn't play amazing defense, either, so when I say that I can't see the near future at Mizzou much better than 7-9 wins, the condition is the defense playing at its current level combined with the loss of this perfect offensive storm. Oh, and the O-coordinator is taking off. I remember last season Kansas fans balked at the idea that losing their D-coordinator could possibly have an impact. As the saying goes: They was wrong.

Oh, and I don't actually think Mizzou will fall to ISU/KSUCC levels of atrocious. What I meant was they could finish as low as third (and if you're third, fourth isn't unimaginable and neither second). Kansas may in fact be the team to beat in the north next year, and I know how much MU fans love to hear that. I think its foolish to underestimate Reesing. He feels the game, and that can be scary if he gets much more talent around him.

Anyway, I hope you don't get the impression that I'm disrespecting your program. That's not my intent, even in speaking bluntly. It's true I hold no love for Mizzou, but they've ascended a bit recently. However in the way I see it, the immediate future is a large question mark. The battle for the north looks much more even for the coming season. The talent that propelled Mizzou to their current level is no longer there. Time will tell which of us estimated the impact more correctly.

Of course if they beat Oklahoma a lot of this becomes moot. A conference championship and a BCS game would be a hell of an accomplishment.