Season analysis from my point of view

MVPujols

Well, I dont know if anyone really cares, or if I can offer any point of view that no one else has seen... But here goes..

I thought we did good this season. Early on, we saw some offensive problems and our coaches made adjustments and fixed the problem, which is someting I like to see. I remember in 2004 when early on obviously the running game was doing really good, but our former coaches just refused to adjust, and we went on to lose 6 games. Another example of adjustments... Bo came wanting/expecting to win and I dont think he was quite prepared to the fact that this is Cally players, not LSU players. Players make mistakes, and in our case they made alot of mistakes. Bo lost his temper so much, and then when he realized this was a mistake, he adjusted his attitude and stopped getting so PO'd.

This season was full of ups and downs. I am not someone who will say 'well if we had done this or that...' But, lets be clear here.. If not for 2 Ganz late game picks, we're 10-2 getting ready to play in the CCG with a chance at Fiesta bowl. Step back for a second and think about that, really think about it. Remember how bad we were last year? Look how far we have gotten in just one year. I see lots of things in this team and this coaching staff that make me excited for next year and many more years after that. Win or loss in the gator bowl, I think Bo is the guy for the job. We will just need to wait and see, can he recruit very well? This isn't something I would measure based on the scout.com or rivals.com ratings, this is something we will be able to tell when we see the players on the field.

I am excited. I hope you are too.

The only thing I have to say to your post is that I honestly don't care about who's who in recruiting. I like to read up on the recruits, but their star ranking and their hype does little for me. Callahan had great recruiting classes but he developed talent poorly, and look what happened.

Dr. Tom Osborne gave a lecture to my business class at UNL a few months back, and he discussed his view on recruiting. He said his recruiting classes were rarely ranked high in the top 20. Osborne new the importance of developing talent in players. Guys could lose their starting job to a second team or walk on at any point, and the players new this. They fought to keep their starting positions. Another example is Charlie Weis. I believe last years recruiting class for Weis was ranked no. 8? And his other classes were also pretty up there but look at the seasons they have had since his recruits started playing.

The final thing Osborne said on recruiting was "When I recruited young players, I told them right off the bat they had to earn their position. We often loss recruits because they wanted playing time right away. That's not how that staff did things."

GBR

i like your humble out look of our season. i also agree with husker red callahan never developed his talent poor marlon lucky is a perfect example a great talent who never reached above mediocre just because he wasn't coached right. had maybe some different coaches taught him we might have been comparing him to some of our greats. my final out look is that i was just hoping for a winning year to start off the pelini era right and we got it so im a fairly happy sailor.

Interesting. Good stuff.

I'm not big on what-ifs b/c Henery (for example) just saved the Huskers a bad loss at home. So let's throw the what-ifs out for now.

I think the Offense can move the chains and put up points more often then killing their drives with penalties, turnovers, and bad execution (three-and-outs).

Mid season adjustments by Watson were good.

I still think the secondary is vulnerable. They will still get burned during the first half of games as they have all season.

When the offense is rolling the defense gets better.

The Huskers are good for 30+ points a game and will give up 20+ against good, solid teams.

We still do not know what the Huskers can do against a solid running team. The Big 12 really doesnt do that. And if an opposing team (say Clemson for example) can win the battle at the line, I'm not convinced our LBs and safety's will wrap up and make tackles.

I think it was a good season & the Huskers are heading in the right direction.

That's my fair assessment.