Big Red Breakfast

huskers1

Is it just me or why aren't there any papers doing a report on the big red breakfast anymore? It looks like HI is the only one doing it. Usually its released by the OWH and LJS.

OWH seemed to have moved them to the Big Red Today segment of their Big Red Page. They are pretty regular in reporting them there.

• 2 weeks later...

Early in the season the majority of the time they would come out the same day within a few hours of it being over. Starting at about the kansas game they just stopped being posted. They would always be on huskerpedia which they aren't now. So I started just going straight to huskers extra which its not there either. So I took the advice I got on here and started going to omaha.com and then to the big red page and for some reason I can't ever find them on there either. Not to bother anyone but when someone reads about it I'd appreciate a post. Thanks again sorry to beat the dead horse, I'll probably get one of those.

Glad my post got read........

Published Friday December 19, 2008

Football: Fans warm a cold day for Pelini

BY STEVE BEIDECK

WORLD-HERALD CORRESPONDENT

Bo Pelini isn't fond of doing media interviews, but he had no problem answering more than 20 questions Friday from the fans who scraped the ice off their car windows and braved slick streets to get to the Big Red Breakfast.

One of those questions was what the first-year Nebraska head football coach likes about being in charge of his own program. The first response drew loud laughter, the second a round of applause.

"I probably love the media the most," Pelini said with a touch of sarcasm. "I love doing interviews.

"Honestly the thing with me is I can set my own schedule. If I want to go see my wife and kids, I can do it. I don't have to answer to anybody else as far as my schedule's concerned."

Pelini received three standing ovations from the crowd of 147 at the Holiday Inn convention center. He took two more playful swipes at the news media during his 45-minute presentation and had the crowd laughing the hardest when asked how he and Athletic Director Tom Osborne are getting along.

"I can't stand the guy," Pelini joked. He then set things straight, saying "We have a great relationship.

"He comes to practice most of the time, we interact well and we talk pretty much daily. It's been great to have him there, and I hope he stays for a while because it's a big benefit to me having him in that seat."

Pelini covered a myriad of other topics, including:

• General thoughts on recruiting:

Pelini said he's pleased with where things stand.

"I think recruiting is going very well," Pelini said. "I love our class so far.

"It's basically winding down as far as we have a couple of other key guys we're kind of waiting on. We just got another commitment this week that the young man isn't announcing until after the weekend. I think we're going to end up taking somewhere around 23.

Pelini said three straight wins to end an 8-4 regular season are helping the recruiting process.

"I think the momentum of the year, our improvement, we've had good reception out there from the high school coaches, the players," Pelini said. "I think people feel a good sense that Nebraska's back."

• Progress made by the defensive backfield:

Pelini said the play of the defense started to catch up with the offense, which had the benefit of continuity with offensive coordinator Shawn Watson calling the shots.

"I think the offense played pretty well all year," Pelini said. "I thought our kids at the beginning of the year were pretty hard to stop. I think the balance we had was able to keep defenses off-balance."

For a position that had little depth when he arrived a little more than a year ago, Pelini said what the secondary was able to accomplish helped with the overall defensive effort.

"In the secondary we got better from start to finish," Pelini said.

• How Pelini wished he could have used more freshmen this season:

"Had I done it over again, I probably wouldn't have redshirted a lot of them," Pelini said. "I would have played most of them in some capacity. All in all, it will make us a better football team for the future by holding off and doing it the way we did. It's a good group."

• What a college playoff system would do to bowl games:

Pelini turned this question around to the fans.

"Do you guys still want bowl games?" Pelini asked. "If it goes to a playoff, the bowl games are going to be over. There will be eight teams, and everybody else will be home. I don't think the public truly understands that.

"I know that everybody talks about using the bowls (in the playoffs). The bowl people I've talked to, the way I understand it is if they go with an eight-team playoff, the rest of the bowl games are going to fold. I don't think anybody really talks about that."

Pelini's preference would be to go back to the pre-BCS system of sending teams to bowl games.

"My vote actually would be go back to the system the way it was a long time ago," Pelini said. "Throw the BCS out and go back to the old system, but I don't think that will ever happen."

BY STEVE BEIDECK

Bo Pelini isn't fond of doing media interviews, but he had no problem answering more than 20 questions Friday from the fans who scraped the ice off their car windows and braved slick streets to get to the Big Red Breakfast.

One of those questions was what the first-year Nebraska head football coach likes about being in charge of his own program. The first response drew loud laughter, the second a round of applause.

"I probably love the media the most," Pelini said with a touch of sarcasm. "I love doing interviews.

"Honestly the thing with me is I can set my own schedule. If I want to go see my wife and kids, I can do it. I don't have to answer to anybody else as far as my schedule's concerned."

Pelini received three standing ovations from the crowd of 147 at the Holiday Inn convention center. He took two more playful swipes at the news media during his 45-minute presentation and had the crowd laughing the hardest when asked how he and Athletic Director Tom Osborne are getting along.

"I can't stand the guy," Pelini joked. He then set things straight, saying "We have a great relationship.

"He comes to practice most of the time, we interact well and we talk pretty much daily. It's been great to have him there, and I hope he stays for a while because it's a big benefit to me having him in that seat."

"It's basically winding down as far as we have a couple of other key guys we're kind of waiting on. We just got another commitment this week that the young man isn't announcing until after the weekend. I think we're going to end up taking somewhere around 23.

Pelini said three straight wins to end an 8-4 regular season are helping the recruiting process.

"I think the momentum of the year, our improvement, we've had good reception out there from the high school coaches, the players," Pelini said. "I think people feel a good sense that Nebraska's back."

Pelini said the play of the defense started to catch up with the offense, which had the benefit of continuity with offensive coordinator Shawn Watson calling the shots.

"I think the offense played pretty well all year," Pelini said. "I thought our kids at the beginning of the year were pretty hard to stop. I think the balance we had was able to keep defenses off-balance."

For a position that had little depth when he arrived a little more than a year ago, Pelini said what the secondary was able to accomplish helped with the overall defensive effort.

"Had I done it over again, I probably wouldn't have redshirted a lot of them," Pelini said. "I would have played most of them in some capacity. All in all, it will make us a better football team for the future by holding off and doing it the way we did. It's a good group."

"Do you guys still want bowl games?" Pelini asked. "If it goes to a playoff, the bowl games are going to be over. There will be eight teams, and everybody else will be home. I don't think the public truly understands that.

"I know that everybody talks about using the bowls (in the playoffs). The bowl people I've talked to, the way I understand it is if they go with an eight-team playoff, the rest of the bowl games are going to fold. I don't think anybody really talks about that."

Pelini's preference would be to go back to the pre-BCS system of sending teams to bowl games.

"My vote actually would be go back to the system the way it was a long time ago," Pelini said. "Throw the BCS out and go back to the old system, but I don't think that will ever happen."

Good read and How cool would it be to be able to sit in on a T.O and Bo conversation about football. An offensive mind like T.O and the defensive mind of BO.

BY STEVE BEIDECK

Great read..........thanks for sharing.

There's a poster on another board who brings a taperecorder to the Breakfast and posts nearly every word spoken by the coach and the questions by fans.

http://64.131.67.10/vbbs/showthread.php?t=63400

hahahahahah holy sh#t... so i clicked just to browse... and yea wow

Originally Posted by Husker Freak

(Pelini) How about that Husker volleyball team? Man, I tell you what, if all my guys had the kind of mental toughness that those girls have we’d win them all. They are something else, aren’t they?

Coach, did you know Penn State’s coach used to be an assistant at NU? – No, I didn’t know that. Interesting. (Jokester shouts out, “Yeah, he was let go by Steve Pederson”). What, he was what? (Someone repeats it). I’m not going there. Next question.