Shawn Watson interviews for New Mexico job

Really, I just want to say that I sincerely hope that Watson decides to stay put, IF he is givin the chance to leave. We need continuity, and he has helped recruit kids who may chose to look elsewhere. I think that he has done a nice job and will only get better. I really appreciate this staff, and want them to stick around for awhile.

I doubt continuity would be a problem, even if Watson left, which I don't think he will. We would likely promote from within, then fill a position coach spot by bringing in another coach.

I hope he stays, I hate all the coaching changes we have had since 2003.

But you can't blame him for trying to better himself.

But I would think if he stayed, developed Witt, Lee, Spano, or Green and had continued sucess with his offense then he wouldn't have to settle for a New Mexico, or Bowling Green job. Those for the most part are dead end jobs, no budget, no facilities, and your recruiting against BCS conferences for the local/in state talent.

Unless you're urban meyer.

Really, I just want to say that I sincerely hope that Watson decides to stay put, IF he is givin the chance to leave. We need continuity, and he has helped recruit kids who may chose to look elsewhere. I think that he has done a nice job and will only get better. I really appreciate this staff, and want them to stick around for awhile.

I doubt continuity would be a problem, even if Watson left, which I don't think he will. We would likely promote from within, then fill a position coach spot by bringing in another coach.

I think thats probably true...but who would we promote?

:sarcasm Not one to pat myself on the back, but it's kind of funny that the 2 coaches that I said a "source" had told my wife were probably going to be gone, are the 2 that have interviewed at other jobs.

Man, I caught a lot of crap for the statement, but is it coincidence or not?

You knock that sh#t off or we are going to start referring to you as I Bleed Red. Bank it! :sarcasm

ESPN just reported that Gill is interviewing with Auburn. That would be quite a jump for him. Good luck Gill!!

I think Gill would be great there...I wish him all the luck in the world getting that job and being successful with it. He will always be a Husker...that is the great thing. :clap

Geez I don't know, Auburn is a big time pressure cooker with Nick Saban staring at you just down the road. Plus Tubberville is an extremely hard act to follow, one of the best coaches, IMO--AU is making a big mistake in getting rid of him. I mean, they are looking at a MI type scenario for the next few years no matter how you slice it.

Just not sure if Turner has the mojo for that job/environment at this point.

I think Syracuse is a better fit.

I absolutely agree with you here. There are to many politics involved down there as well. I also think Syracuse would be an excellent fit for him.

I really think that our team would benefit more if Watson would stay though, and the rest of the staff for that matter. I know there may be some better coaches out there, but the continuity of this staff right now seems to be working and could get this turned around a lot faster then people think IMO. I hope he stays, and I think he did a fantastic job this year as did the rest of the staff. I think people need to sit back and think about what happend last season, and appreciate where we are right now!!

Living down here, I get to keep up with the AU and UA programs pretty well (especially with a rabid Alabama fan for a wife). I would not want Gill to go to Auburn because it's a toxic, crazy place. Nationally people talk about what a mess Alabama is with meddling boosters and high expectations, but Auburn is just as bad and possibly worse. I think he can do better than Auburn - much better if he has the patience to wait for the right opportunity.

As for Watson, I hope he stays. I don't think you can overstate the importance of having continuity on the coaching staff, especially during the first few years of rebuilding the program. I know he'll get his shot at a HC job sooner or later, but I really hope we can keep him around for another year or three. Of course there's always an exception for every rule. Look what Alabama has done this year with a new OC on staff in Saban's second year.

I think thats probably true...but who would we promote?

We don't have anybody within to promote as OC, I mean, you're not going to go with Barney for that.

ESPN just reported that Gill is interviewing with Auburn. That would be quite a jump for him. Good luck Gill!!

I think Gill would be great there...I wish him all the luck in the world getting that job and being successful with it. He will always be a Husker...that is the great thing. :clap

Geez I don't know, Auburn is a big time pressure cooker with Nick Saban staring at you just down the road. Plus Tubberville is an extremely hard act to follow, one of the best coaches, IMO--AU is making a big mistake in getting rid of him. I mean, they are looking at a MI type scenario for the next few years no matter how you slice it.

Just not sure if Turner has the mojo for that job/environment at this point.

I think Syracuse is a better fit.

I absolutely agree with you here. There are to many politics involved down there as well. I also think Syracuse would be an excellent fit for him.

Somebody agreed with me!! :w00t (does 3 back flips). I'm gonna go mark it on my calender and take a picture of that calender and never throw that picture away! :corndance