Possibly Moving to Omaha

So, LaVista/Papillion, Bellevue, or Millard sound like the best spots.

Cool.

My wife is a California girl. Is Omaha going to keep her interested?

depends on what her interests are. If she is a beach bum, well.... But as far as restaurants and live music, there is plenty to do.

Hopefully there is enough to keep the family busy. Good parks, good youth sports (my son is 7), good shopping, a water park or two. And how's the Zoo?

Tons of parks. Tons of youth sports, everything from casual clubs to the harder core that aim to train kids for D-1 level. There is one indoor waterpark I know of, aimed at kids. And the Zoo is world class.

Nothing wrong with North O. <_<

Except it's the most violent, gang ridden part of Omaha <_<

If you don't associate yourself with gang members or participate in gang activity, than you have nothing to worry about.

the same with South and West Omaha.

If you want to get technical,......drug crimes are heavy in North Omaha the whole bloods and crips thing died down about 10 years ago. Again,.....don't mix up with that mess, and you'll be fine. Lots of good REAL people in North O.

Gang crimes are more in South Omaha with the Surenos, MS-13, M.B.C.'s (Must Be Criminals), and Lomas. Gangs are more likely to target random victims rather than a drug dealer or pusher.

And if they are coming from California, north and south Omaha should be a walk in the park.

don't know much about the schools since my boy is just 3. But I would stay west of 72 st. in Omaha unless your in Dundee

Morningside or Cathedral are decent too. The only problem I have with the Millard area is the houses are overpriced and in my opinion cheaply built. I'd recommend Living in Dundee, Cathedral or Morningside, unless you can afford better than a $200k house.

Water Parks: Fun Plex- pretty good for an occasional visit (Water slides, motion ocean, lazy river, Go Carts (normal and slick track) some rides), if you make it a regular thing it could become redundant

CoCo Keys- never been there, but heard good things.

The Zoo is awesome, I could go there everyday, but that's just me. It's HUGE, and has a ton of good attractions.

I'll be working at/near Stratcom, so even though I doubt traffic is a huge issue in Omaha, would Papillion/LaVista make sense?

There is a nasty traffic snarl to think about. The Kennedy Freeway interchange with I80 backs up for several miles every morning and night. (drunken monkeys designed that interchange I swear) So I would try to avoid making that a drive time ritual.

I-80 - 75 (Kennedy) exchange is terrible, but looking at the map, 370 looks like an alternative. Anyone know how 370 is and how the area around it in Papillion compares? If you're not in Bellevue this looks like the easiest commute.

I'll be working at/near Stratcom, so even though I doubt traffic is a huge issue in Omaha, would Papillion/LaVista make sense?

There is a nasty traffic snarl to think about. The Kennedy Freeway interchange with I80 backs up for several miles every morning and night. (drunken monkeys designed that interchange I swear) So I would try to avoid making that a drive time ritual.

I-80 - 75 (Kennedy) exchange is terrible, but looking at the map, 370 looks like an alternative. Anyone know how 370 is and how the area around it in Papillion compares? If you're not in Bellevue this looks like the easiest commute.

370 is at least as bad especially the farther west you get. Going west in the evening it can take more than half an hour to go two or three miles. When you get down to it, there is not really a good path to get from Stratcom to anywhere west during rush hour. The city and counties 'lack of planning' departments never thought to adjust the roads for all the population that grew in those areas.

• 2 weeks later...

Just don't end up in one of these shcools:

Sizing up Nebraska schools

These 41 schools received Nebraska's worst designation for problems under the federal No Child Left Behind law: *

Title I Schools in Need of Improvement:

Bridgeport Public Schools: Bridgeport Elementary

Chase County Schools: Chase County Elementary

Columbus Public Schools: Centennial Elementary

Conestoga Public Schools: Conestoga Elementary

Crawford Public Schools: Crawford Elementary

Dundy County Public Schools: Benkelman Elementary

Gordon-Rushville Public Schools: Gordon-Rushville High, Gordon-Rushville Middle

Lincoln Public Schools: Belmont Elementary, Culler Middle, Everett Elementary, Saratoga Elementary, West Lincoln Elementary

Morrill Public Schools: Morrill Elementary

North Platte Public Schools: Madison Middle

Ogallala Public Schools: Prairie View Elementary

Wauneta-Palisade Public Schools: Palisade Attendance Center

Districts in Need of Improvement

North Loup Scotia Public Schools

Ponca Public Schools

Non-Title I Schools in Need of Improvement

Alliance Public Schools: Alliance High, Alliance Middle

Lincoln Public Schools: Calvert Elementary, Dawes Middle, Holmes Elementary, Irving Middle, Lefler Middle, Lincoln High, Meadow Lane Elementary, Mickle Middle, Northeast High, North Star High, Park Middle, Scott Middle, Southeast High, Southwest High

Millard Public Schools: Neihardt Elementary

Norfolk Public Schools: Norfolk Senior High

Norris School District: Norris Middle

North Platte Public Schools: North Platte High

Omaha Public Schools: Beals Elementary

Ralston Public Schools: Ralston High

Scottsbluff Public Schools: Bluffs Middle

Westside Community Schools: Westside Middle

*Title I schools receive federal funding for their number of low-income students.

So, LaVista/Papillion, Bellevue, or Millard sound like the best spots.

Cool.

My wife is a California girl. Is Omaha going to keep her interested?

depends on what her interests are. If she is a beach bum, well.... But as far as restaurants and live music, there is plenty to do.

Hopefully there is enough to keep the family busy. Good parks, good youth sports (my son is 7), good shopping, a water park or two. And how's the Zoo?

BJSA or Bellevue Junior Sports Association is second to none! My brothers and I all grew up playing sports in that organization and it's great! Your family will love it. The Bellevue Public schools are great too,