Cornhuskers may have gem in HOT Bowl MVP

http://kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=29809

Cornhuskers may have gem in HOT Bowl MVP

Posted on: Sunday, December 07, 2008, 7:38 AM

Advertisement

By Evan Mohl

Killeen Daily Herald

COPPERAS COVE – After his self-described worst quarter of the year, Brandon Kinnie wanted redemption. He wasn't about to end his career as a Greyhound on a sour note.

By the end of the CHAMPS Heart of Texas Bowl, Kinnie walked away with the MVP trophy in Fort Scott Community College's 30-14 over Blinn College. And everyone at Bulldawg stadium left buzzing about the big receiver's ability and potential.

"This is great," Kinnie said, with his MVP plaque in hand. "I really wanted to show what I could do on this stage. I always wanted to be a playmaker and playmakers come up big and make plays."

Yes I am pessimistic by nature, but these are the kind of performances that bring more scholarship offers. Sometimes from a kids' fave school that had not previously offered.....and then?

Eh, 5 catches for 26 yards probably won't get him more offers.

"I told coach I wanted the ball. I wanted to make up for the personal foul and my poor play," said Kinnie who finished with five catches and 26 yards. "Playmakers make big plays, and I always want to be a playmaker."

If it does, I hope he's happy with his commitment to Nebraska and does not switch somewhere else. At this stage of the game, any other team is just way behind in establishing a personal relationship with him.

Yes I am pessimistic by nature, but these are the kind of performances that bring more scholarship offers. Sometimes from a kids' fave school that had not previously offered.....and then?

Eh, 5 catches for 26 yards probably won't get him more offers.

"I told coach I wanted the ball. I wanted to make up for the personal foul and my poor play," said Kinnie who finished with five catches and 26 yards. "Playmakers make big plays, and I always want to be a playmaker."

If it does, I hope he's happy with his commitment to Nebraska and does not switch somewhere else. At this stage of the game, any other team is just way behind in establishing a personal relationship with him.

Even though his stat line isn't very great, it obvious from the story he had a great game. Contributed on Special Teams as well as Offense. Will be nice to have a big body go get a fade route to the corner ala Purify. I know Holt is big, but I have yet to see him used like that.

Kinnie suffered a catch-less first quarter. To make matters worse, he actually hurt his team with a personal foul penalty that offset his team's first down.

Then, Kinnie got himself back in the game on special teams of all places.

With Fort Scott hanging on by a slim 10-7 lead. Blinn lined up for a punt deep in its own territory. Kinnie used his teammate LeVonte David's distration, and rushed the kicker. Kinnnie got through the Buccanneers blockers with no problem and stuffed Mark Sprague's punts.

Kinnie pounced at the ball on Blinn's 8-yard line, setting his team up with great field position.

"We had been working on that play all week," Kinnie said. "LeVonte distracted the blockers and he created a crease for me. I just exploded towards the punter."

Then, Kinnie walked up to Sims and demanded the ball on offense. He wanted to get his team back in the game and make up for his lack of focus in the first quarter.

His coach obliged.

On the next play, quarterback Zac Dickey hit Kinney on a beautiful fade route to the corner of the end zone. Kinney outjumped his defender by about eight inches to secure the 8-yard TD.